First DWC Grow - Any tips?

• Thread starter Girlonbikes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Hi,

I just planted my germinated seeds into the rock wool and they are sitting in a ziploc bag until I transfer them to the dwc bucket.

I have a 5 gal bucket system, general hydroponics trio, ph kit and all that, and my light set and ready to go.

Any tips or things I should be aware of for the first few weeks of my seedling? I’ve only ever grown one soil grow before this. Any insight is appreciated 🙏

thanks!

BigCube

BigCube

Hi,

I just planted my germinated seeds into the rock wool and they are sitting in a ziploc bag until I transfer them to the dwc bucket.

I have a 5 gal bucket system, general hydroponics trio, ph kit and all that, and my light set and ready to go.

Any tips or things I should be aware of for the first few weeks of my seedling? I’ve only ever grown one soil grow before this. Any insight is appreciated 🙏

thanks!

From sprout to netpot can be tricky. The best way I know of is to wait till your cube has roots growing out of it then put 1 singe layer of hydroton in the bottom of your netpot, put your cube on that and you're good. Keep the water from 1/2 to 1 inch away from the bottom of your netpot and Bob is your uncle 👍

The goal is to not saturate the rockwool, but let the bubbles pop, wetting the hydroton. Causing the roots to go seek the water.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Great tips thank you!! how long do the roots have to be sticking out of the rock wool cube before I know I can put them into the bucket?

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Well let’s get the real reality’s and look into the future as well, is this a sterile DWC grow or a live DWC grow?

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Set the air bubbler stones pump 24/7, then the drip ring is recommended 1 hour on 1 hour off. I am using the square gh bucket with drip too and I like it pretty well except the level tube is translucent and allows light in reservoir which makes green algae grow. Im going to make a cover for the tube that's easy to remove so light won't get in there. Definitely watch ph and ppms , the gh chart recommended amounts of nutes are too high I think so id start low and check reservoir ph and ppm often so you can get an idea of what's needed or not. I've been going with this chart, some one here shared but I can't remember who lol
PH and EC fluctuations in Hydroponics 768x576

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Yeah don’t worry lol I know what your taking about ive done DWC but you didn’t answer the question are you doing sterile or live organisms? Trust me the last thing you want is root rot @Aqua Man can speak for that as well lol

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

I don’t have anything like Great White yet. Is that a good one to buy?
Like unsaid it depends on how your gonna do the grow of your gonna do sterile than beneficial fungi isnt needed because your running sterile but, if doing live than you 100% want “”benes aka beneficial bacteria personally I would suggest hydroguard if going that route. And this is very important because factors of a sterile to live grow change environment because well clean explaining sterile your cleaning stuff all the time on rez changes and live well it’s more chill lol

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Like unsaid it depends on how your gonna do the grow of your gonna do sterile than beneficial fungi isnt needed because your running sterile but, if doing live than you 100% want “”benes aka beneficial bacteria personally I would suggest hydroguard if going that route. And this is very important because factors of a sterile to live grow change environment because well clean explaining sterile your cleaning stuff all the time on rez changes and live well it’s more chill lol
I honestly hadn’t realized that I need to choose live or sterile...I was planning on just using my nutes and seeing how that goes. So a live grow wouldn’t require a res change?

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

I honestly hadn’t realized that I need to choose live or sterile...I was planning on just using my nutes and seeing how that goes. So a live grow wouldn’t require a res change?
Oh no they both require changes just if your not going sterile, than make sure you have beneficial bacteria “”benes in your nutes and top off water to help fight pathogens. It will save a lot of later question on “why do my roots look black?” Trust me

Huntingterps

Huntingterps

+1 on the hydrogaurd especially if your starting out and don't have a chiller. Imo keep it simple for first go around with dwc as it can get crazy in terms of equipment, nutes, and setup ( so many ways to do it).

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

+1 on the hydrogaurd especially if your starting out and don't have a chiller. Imo keep it simple for first go around with dwc as it can get crazy in terms of equipment, nutes, and setup ( so many ways to do it).
Yeah I don’t have a chiller so I will definitely check out hydro guard. Thank you all for the help!

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Day 4 and they have enough root to put into the bucket I think

6EF4F327 A000 465D 8CB7 874ABDA26EB6
TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

oh yeah that’s a nice looking tap root, get that baby in the water and start soaking up the bubble mist, don’t forget to use hydro guard from start to finish.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

the morning of exactly one week since they broke through the seed.

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Is this pointing down of the true leaves an indicator of something? I tried lifting my light even higher, away from them but they still haven’t straightened out. I have my light a little over 2 ft away from them on veg mode. Not sure what the exact W output is, but according to the smart plug I have my light plugged into, it used .8 kWh yesterday (I have my light 20h on 4 h off). It’s not a fancy one like a spider farmer just some light I got on Amazon

Teslajuana

Teslajuana

Always make sure your water level is appropriate and make sure you have plenty of oxygen in the water. Keep temp at 70-75. Ph 5.8- 6.4 is my sweet spot range. Is you see your leaves drooping somethings up. Must change what caused the drooping as hydro can go south very quickly

Hi,

thanks!

Girlonbikes

Girlonbikes

Always make sure your water level is appropriate and make sure you have plenty of oxygen in the water. Keep temp at 70-75. Ph 5.8- 6.4 is my sweet spot range. Is you see your leaves drooping somethings up. Must change what caused the drooping as hydro can go south very quickly
Just chopped her down yesterday. Had an extremely experimental grow. I never changed her water once in the 14 weeks I had her in the bucket. I used hydroguard every week. She is a hardy plant for sure. She seemed fine with it all until the last week but that’s because I stopped giving her any food two weeks ago and always underfed her when I did feed her because I figured it would build up inside the bucket. Excited to see what her dry weight is.
241988DC 4920 4579 B989 7954E0272C58
8DAD7BD3 0E09 4DA2 B348 30B341507C87

Top Bottom