First Dwc Grow

• Thread starter BUSTALUNG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BUSTALUNG

BUSTALUNG

I saw some HPS at the local HomeDepot a couple days ago and for the number of bulbs I would have to buy to use cfl I could buy a HPS. I was just under the impression that they put off tons of heat and me being a newb to indoor growing I didn't want to fry my first grow before its time

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

The metal halide has a nice blue spectrum and will look more like a regular light bulb.
Like this
20160108 142138

And the HPS is like this.
20160305 150923

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Do you have any experience with LED's? All I know about them are they're expensive, I would have to sell a couple of grand kids to buy one...lol
LeD Panels
They have inferior light penetration to HID but more efficient for more compact grows. Some run cooler but dont believe the cheapo panel producers liker mars. Theyll be just as hot as an HID.

The best bet as far as LED goes in my opiniom is Chips-on-Board or COBs, search COBs in the forum to learn more about the best in DIY lighting. These are home built high wattage systems that blow LED panels out of the water.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

LeD Panels
They have inferior light penetration to HID but more efficient for more compact grows. Some run cooler but dont believe the cheapo panel producers liker mars. Theyll be just as hot as an HID.

The best bet as far as LED goes in my opiniom is Chips-on-Board or COBs, search COBs in the forum to learn more about the best in DIY lighting. These are home built high wattage systems that blow LED panels out of the water.

COBs compete better with HIDs in comparison to traditional panels

BUSTALUNG

BUSTALUNG

M
The metal halide has a nice blue spectrum and will look more like a regular light bulb.
Like this
View attachment 579469
View attachment 579470
so i suppose
Like this
View attachment 579469
View attachment 579470
ok, I can see now, I think, why you use mh to grow and HPS to
LeD Panels

From what I can gather HID's have far better light penetration than anything else out there

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Ive flowered under fluoros and HIDs (mh/hps) and the HIds are worth the extra effort in my humble opinion.

J is correct youve got'em backwards there.
I agree 100%. For that 3x3 a 250 would rock. @FrankieCoste gets an oz or2 off autos in soil inside a 2x4 cab with a 250 dual spectrum. My tent/ closet is open when the light is on until I invest in a inline fan and exhaust but the smell is managable with just a plant or two.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

So using hid lights in a 3x3 tent 72" tall what wattage should I use? I know you said 250 but is that for both growing and budding? Each light hps and mh 250 watts?
No matter what you use you will fight heat. The heat from a 250-600 will be comparable or the same as equal amounts of anything else. Saying that I font have experience with led. I'm running a 600w in a 2x4 and maintaining 75ish at the tops. The hid allow you to keep the heat further from the plant. But do put off more heat, IMO its worth the trouble. Like I said to get close to same results with any other light source its gonna be just as big an issue with heat.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Any Q's just let me know. Here's my auto og in 5gal dwc can't see the temp but its 79 at the top 72 at the floor, so res temp is 1°more at 73. You want as close to 70 as you can. People say cooler but that requires a chiller or cool grow area. You can use frozen 20oz bottles. They will take you down about 7°. And it will climb from there. Long as you use hydroguard and keep temps below 75

IMAG0051 1
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Managing heat.
Whole space.
20160306 194624

Air intakes (intakes are low because hot air rises, you want to intake the coolest air in the space. The upper one is for my light, the lower one is a passive intake for the room, i chose to run my cords here and mount my ballast remotely.
20160306 194636

20160306 194647

You can see in this second pic the ballast hung outside and where the intakr meets the top of my cab for the light.
20160306 194656

Here we see the intake on the right for the reflector hood which contains our light bulb. This is sealed passing the cool air through the hood and the warm air is extracted out on the left hand side. The white cylinder in the upper left is the carbon filter which eliminates odor. This is where air is extracted out of the room for air exchange for your plants.
20160306 194711

Better shot of the carbon filter.
20160306 194717

Last pic shows the fan hung for the light, the one for the room is just out of sight. The ventilation runs outside of the room my box is in and dispersed.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Oh since youre in hydro it may not be a bad idea for all your electrical to be above the water level. So the cords in the intake down there may not be a great idea idk what you hydro guys think of that. I get paranoid about water and electricity lol

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Managing heat.
Whole space.
View attachment 579473
Air intakes (intakes are low because hot air rises, you want to intake the coolest air in the space. The upper one is for my light, the lower one is a passive intake for the room, i chose to run my cords here and mount my ballast remotely.
View attachment 579474
View attachment 579475
You can see in this second pic the ballast hung outside and where the intakr meets the top of my cab for the light.
View attachment 579476
Here we see the intake on the right for the reflector hood which contains our light bulb. This is sealed passing the cool air through the hood and the warm air is extracted out on the left hand side. The white cylinder in the upper left is the carbon filter which eliminates odor. This is where air is extracted out of the room for air exchange for your plants.
View attachment 579477
View attachment 579479
Last pic shows the fan hung for the light, the one for the room is just out of sight. The ventilation runs outside of the room my box is in and dispersed.

The fan for the light is plugged in on a strip that turns off at lights out, the fan for the room and carbon filter runs round the clock.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Managing heat.
Whole space.
View attachment 579473
View attachment 579474
View attachment 579475
View attachment 579476
View attachment 579477
View attachment 579479
That looks a lot like my last grow. I was in a 4x4x8 tent but exact same principle. Before I ended up moving I was about to build a 8x10... I'll get back to that point some time.

Top Bottom