First ever grow.. First ever flower cycle.. Need help please..

• Thread starter HumbleTie1321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

So, this site seems to be loaded with extremely experienced growers. I was wondering if some kind soul might help me.. I'm a newby. This is my first ever grow and I'm getting ready to flip my Dark Star into flower. I'm set up in a 4x4x7 tent with a Mars Hydro TS600W and a Viparspectra XS1500 on 18/6 cycle. Ventilation is a 6" 390 CFM inline with carbon filter and a couple of oscillating fans. Ambient temps run at 79.5 at its hottest, leaf temps are 83ish.

I'm growing in Fox Farm Happy Frog Soil in a 10 gallon fabric pot. I'm using tap water (ppm before nutes hover around 338) with a ph of 6.3 my run off ph generally holds around 6. I use Humboldt supplements (Root Enzymes, Golden Tree, Base A&B) along with Cal-mag and Recharge.

The plant currently has a 36" circumference and stands just over 33". I've fimmed throughout to keep it short and have done some minimal LST training as it grew.

I've defoliated a few times to give it airflow, have cleaned off the lower portion of each branch up to abt 14" removing suckers as I went. Soooo, now that I've melted your brains with my long post.. The question is.. Is there anything I need to do to prep for the flowering stage? Thanks for any and all input..

I've included a few pics..

First ever grow first ever flower cycle need help please
First ever grow first ever flower cycle need help please 2
First ever grow first ever flower cycle need help please 3
First ever grow first ever flower cycle need help please 4
HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

Thanks bro. Ya I would clean up the bottom a whole lot once you flip. I just like buds.
How far up the stems/branches should I go? I'm with ya on the "just buds"!! I'm just trying to figure out how to make that happen.. How much light can they take during flower? Do I crank that up or just kep it where it's at?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

I believe like 750 par unless you have c02. Maybe 800 or 900 par at most. I take the bottom 25 inches off. But only on certain strains. I wanna take enough off so energy goes towards buds

SSgrower

SSgrower

4 weeks veg then look to start flower, your plant looks ready. I have used Humbolt "Oneness" & Big Up powder with good results also, Dyna Gro Grow & Bloom w/ Protekt.

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

I think your light might be a little to close. Are you using a IR thermometer to measure leaf temp?
The lights are @ 24". I'm sorry. Went back and read my original post. 83 was a typo. They're around 73-75. I'm measuring leaf Temp with an IR temp gun.

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

I believe like 750 par unless you have c02. Maybe 800 or 900 par at most. I take the bottom 25 inches off. But only on certain strains. I wanna take enough off so energy goes towards buds
I'll check the par to see where it's at. I've read that cannabis loves light and that you can't give it enough. That's not been my experience. I've had to return a few lights because they just got too hot and were burning my plants up. Learned my lesson there!

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

So as far as stripping goes.. I just take all leaves and sucker growth off up to 2ft? About how much growth should I have near the top?

elduderito

elduderito

first of all congratulations on your first grow!

your last pic seems to show some different shades of light green and a few leaves with what look like some yellowing/burning around the edges .. can you get some close ups of any leaves that don't look healthy? Not sure when your photo was taken vis-a-vis your watering but she's lacking a bit of perkiness..

It's always important to make sure your plants are healthy before flipping - if there are any issues I feel your better off extending veg until they have recovered or at least not showing any further signs of deterioration before flipping....

as for stripping I would only leave the top 2/3 shoots from each main branch and strip all shoots below and removing all fan leaves from the bottom 1/3 of the plant - I'd probably remove a bunch ofof the side branches that are shorter than the rest and spread out the remaining branches

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

Thanks for the response Elduderito!! I transplanted it a few weeks ago. I thought it was perhaps from that or a magnesium deficiency. I'd love to figure out what it is exactly. I have no problem keeping it in veg a while longer. I'm bit concerned it's going to outgrow my space before I get it to flower. Haha.. So here's a couple up close pics. I REALLY APPRECIATE your help!

F6DAF5FF 197F 4757 BF96 73620228B6D7
E99232DF 0EFD 42E1 81EB B154AFAA81BD
HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

first of all congratulations on your first grow!

your last pic seems to show some different shades of light green and a few leaves with what look like some yellowing/burning around the edges .. can you get some close ups of any leaves that don't look healthy? Not sure when your photo was taken vis-a-vis your watering but she's lacking a bit of perkiness..

It's always important to make sure your plants are healthy before flipping - if there are any issues I feel your better off extending veg until they have recovered or at least not showing any further signs of deterioration before flipping....

as for stripping I would only leave the top 2/3 shoots from each main branch and strip all shoots below and removing all fan leaves from the bottom 1/3 of the plant - I'd probably remove a bunch ofof the side branches that are shorter than the rest and spread out the remaining branches
Thanks for the response Elduderito!! I transplanted it a few weeks ago. I thought it was perhaps from that or a magnesium deficiency. I'd love to figure out what it is exactly. I have no problem keeping it in veg a while longer. I'm bit concerned it's going to outgrow my space before I get it to flower. Haha.. So here's a couple up close pics. I REALLY APPRECIATE your help!

2319BB85 18D7 40BF 8A05 849219A2440C
2D695D31 A795 4F32 AEAD 245AE3F86F47
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Anytime I see leaf tip burning it was because I ran it a bit hot. Meaning the nutes. Watch a good vid on defoiliation and Fimming. Good luck!
Thanks for the response Elduderito!! I transplanted it a few weeks ago. I thought it was perhaps from that or a magnesium deficiency. I'd love to figure out what it is exactly. I have no problem keeping it in veg a while longer. I'm bit concerned it's going to outgrow my space before I get it to flower. Haha.. So here's a couple up close pics. I REALLY APPRECIATE your hel

FLLW

FLLW

Cal-mag should prevent the tip burn (providing your nutes aren't way over the top).
Regarding lights: You can go into the 900's (PAR) without CO2 and not have a production fall off.

Coco for Cannabis (https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/) has some great info on setting up your lights.

Regarding my Cal-mag comment I only do hydro so it may not work as well with soil.

Top Bottom