First Ever Grow, No Til, Documenting Every Learning Step

• Thread starter FutureGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

You guys are riding the line between cover crops and companion plants. While both are beneficial they are different. Read Masanobu Fukuoka’s teachings.
dynamic accumulator plants

One straw revolution? I was considering buying it but it’s from 1970 so I wasn’t sure if there’s updated literature

Ecompost

Ecompost

Also right or wrong I just appreciate t

The finger trick is great! But 25 gallons in a awkward corner is super awkward to pickup lol.

Also great to know about the moisture level for microbes thanks man!
Doh yeah, my bad, may be try it on one pot before you plant it up, just to get a baseline feel if you have one spare. there are moisture meters, but its best to get a good quality one and not some $10 job form chinaland
https://www.vegetronix.com/Products/VG-METER-200/

https://www.specmeters.com/soil-moisture/

brazel

brazel

Doh yeah, my bad, may be try it on one pot before you plant it up, just to get a baseline feel if you have one spare. there are moisture meters, but its best to get a good quality one and not some $10 job form chinaland

This guy is knowledge, he writes like scientific studies which may be hard to understand to some but don't give up, read and Google a little at a time! Before you know it, it'll all be like oh yeah totally

brazel

brazel

Pressurized sprayer is your friend, water in increments. 5 min, 10 min break then 5 min... etc. Pouring water flows through.

Go outside and spray water on dirt, see how it reacts

brazel

brazel

Look at water, notice what it does. It flows through the easiest path. Look at beavers they dam it , lakes we dam them, rivers well the grand canyon.... see the pattern? Well what about lakes with out dams... Look at elevation.... when you pour water it follows the quickest route, that's why we use wetting agents but by delivering water by spray you spread it out in tiny drops which can't flow

F

FutureGrower

I do plan on having a couple smartpots soon but I found out that I can lift it in its corner haha. I slid the whole thing into where it’s at now I never even tried since I watered. go figure lol

But on the subject of water meters, I really wanted to avoid them but after nearly flooding my carpet twice... it may save me money! Lol

F

FutureGrower

Look at water, notice what it does. It flows through the easiest path. Look at beavers they dam it , lakes we dam them, rivers well the grand canyon.... see the pattern? Well what about lakes with out dams... Look at elevation.... when you pour water it follows the quickest route, that's why we use wetting agents but by delivering water by spray you spread it out in tiny drops which can't flow

This is a great tip! I’m probably making my soil out to sound terrible but it really flows great, after a few minutes even the fabric pots seem to stop leaking lol.

F

FutureGrower

If you read that book and don't learn, I'll give you a thousand dollars. I said it and it'll remain here so you have proof I either man up or I'm a liar

Hey I’ll take your word buddy ordering right now

brazel

brazel

Hey I’ll take your word buddy ordering right now
Do it, when you're done you wouldn't sell that knowledge for 5000$ he's genius yet he'd deny being a master!

Many times you'll get lost... or at least I did! Use Google to help if you come to something you don't understand. Cheers

brazel

brazel

@FutureGrower read the teaming series, what plants know! There's more but these are amazing starts! They'll blow your mind instantly

Ecompost

Ecompost

I do plan on having a couple smartpots soon but I found out that I can lift it in its corner haha. I slid the whole thing into where it’s at now I never even tried since I watered. go figure lol

But on the subject of water meters, I really wanted to avoid them but after nearly flooding my carpet twice... it may save me money! Lol
well you could in theory avoid a meter, you would need to do some fairly complex, but also fairly well documented calculations, these being based on the simple rules of thermodynamics Energy (in) = Energy (out), using base Si unit conversion, taking in to account total absorbed radiation (in) being equal to the rate of transpiration + Conduction and Convection + Photosynthesis +(-Respiration) + G (where G is Storage - eg a leaf)

You can make some basic inputs based on your light watts, msq growing area, and use a base photosynthetic efficiency of about 2% (even this is probably generous where we use a 1000W/m2 in a 0.04% CO2 environment :-), but it will give you some input figures from which to base the water loss calculation.

Essentially you are determining environmental balance, eg how much water does a plant lose over a 24hour period and therefore, how much do we need to replace.

I have hugely simplified this so i dont write an essay as usual, its not just as simple as knowing your light watts, you need to know the total energy absorbed, which includes understanding that being, reflected, transmitted, ommitted etc and this isnt just your shortwave energy, this is long wave too, eg surface temps.

The thing to remember, plants must breathe a gas which exists in concentrations approximately @ 0.04%, this means they must leave stomata open to breathe in order to get enough air for the day, and as a consequence they loose lots of water based on certain conditions,, but it is possible to know just how much if you are prepared for the work to calculate. There are many resources to help explain how laws and maths apply to this, there are many charts and pre calculated materials in databases, eg those covering ALBEDO, Plancks Equation, Stefan Boltzman Law and so on, necessary to complete the process.
I can teach you but you would have to pay me LOL :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

This is a great tip! I’m probably making my soil out to sound terrible but it really flows great, after a few minutes even the fabric pots seem to stop leaking lol.
no, knowing just how much water we are using can really be the data that unlocks the massive harvest or rots the lot. It is good to discuss it. Meters are simpler than the maths involved in knowing, but for me, understanding how to work out how long we might live from the consumption of a single pea, if we might be capable of absorbing its full potential, is kinda of neat even if it is impractical to say the number would be 6000years :-) E=MC2 :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

added, if the Ag industry saved only 1% of the 70% of water it used to grow our food, this would be more water than global annual domestic use in savings, which we might then use elsewhere :-)

Organikz

Organikz

Masanobu was an amazing and enlightened man. He was the true nature's whisperer. He knew everything in nature was connected. Unfortunately he didn't live to learn that scientist are discovering that what masanobu learned by simply observing is in fact true. Plants can talk.

So here's the short answer...masanobu was way ahead of his time...by about 50 years lol

Ecompost

Ecompost

Masanobu was an amazing and enlightened man. He was the true nature's whisperer. He knew everything in nature was connected. Unfortunately he didn't live to learn that scientist are discovering that what masanobu learned by simply observing is in fact true. Plants can talk.
yes but what are they saying and how?

Organikz

Organikz

Generally speaking plants communicate distress signals triggered by insect attacks. This is done by both exudation and the release of VOCs.

They are beginning to think that plants of different species can communicate as well. This would be more like a turf war.

Very new science.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Generally speaking plants communicate distress signals triggered by insect attacks. This is done by both exudation and the release of VOCs.

They are beginning to think that plants of different species can communicate as well. This would be more like a turf war.

Very new science.
what you are discussing can also been seen when we study plant specific biological primers, and or all soil fauna. Since plants use pure forms of communication to organize symbiont partnerships, we can also determine inputs reschedule soil biomes and so in cases where we interfere without knowing, it may become impossible for plants to hear the communication of its primers amid an overwhelming flow of alternate and or corrupted signals, which it is unlikely to adapt to accommodate and so growth suffers.
The problems with humans is that they dont actually communicate very frequently, rather we resonate with data we like and so we only communicate with those we like, breaking the rules of communication in its pure sense and impressing on to other systems, a code and understanding of communication that is itself limited and flawed.

Organikz

Organikz

what you are discussing can also been seen when we study plant specific biological primers, and or all soil fauna. Since plants use pure forms of communication to organize symbiont partnerships, we can also determine inputs reschedule soil biomes and so in cases where we interfere without knowing, it may become impossible for plants to hear the communication of its primers amid an overwhelming flow of alternate and or corrupted signals, which it is unlikely to adapt to accommodate and so growth suffers.
The problems with humans is that they dont actually communicate very frequently, rather we resonate with data we like and so we only communicate with those we like, breaking the rules of communication in its pure sense and impressing on to other systems, a code and understanding of communication that is itself limited and flawed.
They say that humans actually have more problems communicating than most species of animals. We all posture differently where in the animal kingdom body language is uniform. Its the only way for them to communicate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom