First grow 4 weeks in and looking weak

• Thread starter Sharp.Inflation
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sharp.Inflation

Hey first time grower here. My taller greener two plants in the middle are 29 days old and the other is 22 days old. I am growing in coir and 20-30% perlite. Using flora grow at half strength the first week of each stage then full strength after. Watering twice a day (about 20 mls each) with some runoff each time for each plant. They are starting to wilt and just look pale/weak. Temps in the day are mid to high 70s in a grow tent and low 70s to high 60s at night. Running an 18-6 light schedule, using a spider farmer sf2000 at 65%-70% strength. Please help! Oh yeah water is going in to the plants at 6.5 ph.

K

Kamisama

Coco needs PH 5.8-6.0 in veg, flower 6.0-6.2, use phosphoric acid for ph down.
Water more, way more every day with nutes, runoff so salt will not accumulate and get calmag, coco is demanding for those secondary nutrients.
hmm, 20mls with runoff, seems like u ve them still in small pots, roots should be pretty big in a 22-29 days.

Post pictures.
Whats the distance of ligt from canopy?

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

Using flora grow at half strength
Your pH is in fact too high; you'd be facing lockout, if you had all your nutrients. To that point, assuming this means the FloraGro component of the three-part GenHydro Flora line, you should absolutely not be using only one part of a three-part nutrient system.
Those bottles are not self-encapsulated; FloraGro does not contain "everything" needed for veg. That system is designed for all three components to be used through the entire grow because you need all three components to provide all the nutrients the plant actually needs.
Just thinking about the missing Micro and Bloom components, I would guess right now you're outright missing about a half dozen trace elements as well as facing deficiencies in at least three more.
You need to start using the other two parts of that system in ratios equal to (or relatively close to) the manufacturer's specifications. They have feed charts on their website.

S

Sharp.Inflation

thank you for your time!

Just ordered some calmag. I will adjust the ph down when I make a new batch of water tonight. And how much more water would you recommend? Honestly haven’t been measuring the runoff but I will tonight and shoot for 20%.

Lights are 23-24 inches above the canopy.

Photos added!

7BD36EB2 4FC6 4460 9E25 6FC344FFC375
E37BFA13 1BDC 4FB7 B5E1 5E8705AF4464
DE440AEB F464 4BC5 B5DF 1113C8CCE284
72026468 AABD 4E5B 8690 71778A55C90E
S

Sharp.Inflation

Your pH is in fact too high; you'd be facing lockout, if you had all your nutrients. To that point, assuming this means the FloraGro component of the three-part GenHydro Flora line, you should absolutely not be using only one part of a three-part nutrient system.
Those bottles are not self-encapsulated; FloraGro does not contain "everything" needed for veg. That system is designed for all three components to be used through the entire grow because you need all three components to provide all the nutrients the plant actually needs.
Just thinking about the missing Micro and Bloom components, I would guess right now you're outright missing about a half dozen trace elements as well as facing deficiencies in at least three more.
You need to start using the other two parts of that system in ratios equal to (or relatively close to) the manufacturer's specifications. They have feed charts on their website.
My bad, I am using all 3 bottles as I described above, and as indicated on the back of the bottle. Start with purple and dissolve each one in water before adding the next.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
Are there holes in the bottom of those pots to drain?

K

Kamisama

I d repot them. Have also less wet cycles between watering, when I was using coco, I ve watered from top just once per day with run off. Later stages in octopots (u can check also autopots).

Nitrogen, magensium deficiencies.
Usually when I had issues, I ve flushed with properlly phed clear water, 30-50% runoff and then use nutes properly phed too. Then let it like 20-24h without watering and then water again with nutes with correct ph.

In your case I d go for 350-400ppm, if u water more than once per day. Do that in bigger pots.
Try also weight the pot, dry and wet... there should be visible difference just by holding one in hand.

Try to use also oscillating fan, not stron air flow. U can trim those dried out leaves on the first one.

When u water dont sprinle it on leaves. Especially when light is on.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
The way I learned to water was to wait until they droop, get a feel for your plants wet/dry cycle. What they like, too often is the issue, not too much as long as drainage is good. Keep practicing! its so worth it when you figure it out!
Also, I am definitely biased but I think dry amendments are way easier than salt based liquid nutes.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

That's a lot of light, even for healthy seedlings. I'd dim the lights, maybe to half of what you have now. The speedbumps on the leaves make me think over-watering, but I don't know how that works in coco, assuming you have good drainage. I'd be interested to know what your runoff EC/ppms are. Looks like there might be some burn, but I can't tell for sure.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Let them dry out, You are keeping them way to wet. Keep the soil moist. Water only every 3 days. They will perk up.
What have you fed them?
What mix are they in?
Get big pots ready they are almost ready.

Sunasun

Sunasun

I wish I could. They look like they are drowning tho dude. That's all I can tell ya.
How are they drowning with 1 ⅓ tablespoon of water? He needs to water all of his medium, not just a thimbles worth twice daily. One proper watering and she'll start growing.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hey Sharp. These plant's do look over watered. It's hard to tell in the pictures over watering and under watering look very similar in young plants.

Soak each plant. Give each plant 2 oz of water/ fertilizer solution 1/4 strength, weight a minute and give each plant 2 oz. Do this 4 times. Then the soil will be full of water. Every day stick a finger an inch deep into the soil of each pot.
Do not water again until you feel the soil is dry down an inch.
Don't worry the soil deep inside will still have enough water for the pant.
when the soil feels quite dry down deep, water well again repeat.

These plants are also ready to be up potted.

Last edited:
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Hey Sharp.
Soak each plant. Give each plant 2 oz of water/ fertilizer solution 1/4 strength, weight a minute and give each plant 2 oz. Do this 4 times. Then the soil will be full of water. Every day stick a finger an inch deep into the soil of each pot.
Do not water again until you feel the soil is dry down an inch.
Don't worry the soil deep inside will still have enough water for the pant.
when the soil feels quite dry down deep, water well again repeat.
The finger trick is a wives tale, I would say go by pot weight and droop. Wair till it droops then water. If it was 3 days do 2 next time. Get a fewl for it. You will overwater with the finger trick most likely imo. The bottom can be soaked while the light dries out the top, especially with no mulch layer. That's just my opinion from anecdotal experience of myself and others in the end so I would recommend this but it's your grow you can do what you want, best of luck✌

S

Sharp.Inflation

Thanks all for your time and advice. I have already lowered the light to 50% strength and purchased a ppm meter that should arrive today. After reading the above, my plan is below. I will do it after work today if I don’t get feedback indicating a better approach.

I am not going to water them this morning and instead wait until tonight. I will repot them from 4 inch pots to 8 inchers. I will make sure to double buffer the coir with calmag using properly ph adjusted water (low 6s?). Should I water the plants immediately after repotting or wait 24 hours for them to dry out a bit? Either way I plan to weigh them while wet and then 24 hours later to start getting an idea of how much the weight changes between watering. I also have placed a bowl under each and will be measuring the exact amount of runoff from each plant to ensure I am in the 20% region. Also, considering getting a couple clones online to boost my odds of seeing a good harvest since these were from seed. Would greatly appreciate y’all’s advice!

Sunasun

Sunasun

Thanks all for your time and advice. I have already lowered the light to 50% strength and purchased a ppm meter that should arrive today. After reading the above, my plan is below. I will do it after work today if I don’t get feedback indicating a better approach.

I am not going to water them this morning and instead wait until tonight. I will repot them from 4 inch pots to 8 inchers. I will make sure to double buffer the coir with calmag using properly ph adjusted water (low 6s?). Should I water the plants immediately after repotting or wait 24 hours for them to dry out a bit? Either way I plan to weigh them while wet and then 24 hours later to start getting an idea of how much the weight changes between watering. I also have placed a bowl under each and will be measuring the exact amount of runoff from each plant to ensure I am in the 20% region. Also, considering getting a couple clones online to boost my odds of seeing a good harvest since these were from seed. Would greatly appreciate y’all’s advice!
Always water them in during transplant for explosive growth. So the former.

Top Bottom