First grow and need advice

• Thread starter Thejackle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thejackle

Thejackle

Hi guys, first grow and a bit nervous, lots to learn and not too sure if 2 of mine are okay?

Growing in soil and bat mix with perlite and coco coir mix added.

Lights are Mars led at the recommended height on 20/4.

Plants are rqs gorilla auto.

Temperature has been stable 25-29c humidity was low (40%) but last 6 days I’ve fixed the problem and hold 60-70%.

Only fed mild nutes last water biobiz root and grow

Soil Ph is slightly high at 7.1 but bringing that down next water hopefully.

I have 4 and 2 are looking great and the other 2 maybe have the same problem but not sure.

Plant 1 has been slower growing than the others and has a very light colour, almost lime green.

Plant 2 has always had lighter patches on the leaves but other than that looks the same as the 2 healthy ones.

Hopefully someone can help as I seem to have looked at deficiencies and pest photos for ages and can’t see anything that looks like it to me!

Didn’t ever think there was such a science to it 😂

First grow and need advice 2
First grow and need advice 3
First grow and need advice 4
JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

Hi guys, first grow and a bit nervous, lots to learn and not too sure if 2 of mine are okay?

Temperature has been stable 25-29c humidity was low (40%) but last 6 days I’ve fixed the problem and hold 60-70%.

I have 4 and 2 are looking great and the other 2 maybe have the same problem but not sure.

Plant 1 has been slower growing than the others and has a very light colour, almost lime green.

Plant 2 has always had lighter patches on the leaves but other than that looks the same as the 2 healthy ones.

Hopefully someone can help as I seem to have looked at deficiencies and pest photos for ages and can’t see anything that looks like it to me!

Didn’t ever think there was such a science to it 😂View attachment 946135View attachment 946135

Didn’t ever think there was such a science to it 😂View attachment 946135View attachment 946135
Your plants may be receiving too much light, in comparison to how much of another variable, such as co2, is being provided.

The weakest link breaks the chain.

If you provide say 1200ppfd, but fail to provide additional co2, the resulting growth will show signs of stress bc the plant is unable to process all of the light it receives.

Raise or dim your fixtures and I also suggest investing in a par meter and reviewing the typical light recommendations for each stage of growth.

Too often leaf issues are diagnosed as deficiencies.

I would suggest reducing light intensity first, and continuing to feed with a mild nutrient solution. Your pH is not in a crazy high range for soil and would likely not result in the symptoms above.

Younger plants need time to develop stronger tissues and develop adequate root systems which will then give them a greater resistance to environmental stresses.

Best of luck

Thejackle

Thejackle

Your plants may be receiving too much light, in comparison to how much of another variable, such as co2, is being provided.

If you provide say 1200ppfd, but fail to provide additional co2, the resulting growth will show signs of stress bc the plant is unable to process all of the light it receives.

Raise or dim your fixtures and I also suggest investing in a par meter and reviewing the typical light recommendations for each stage of growth.

I would suggest reducing light intensity first, and continuing to feed with a mild nutrient solution. Your pH is not in a crazy high range for soil and would likely not result in the symptoms above.

Younger plants need time to develop stronger tissues and develop adequate root systems which will then give them a greater resistance to environmental stresses.

Best of luck

Best of luck
Brilliant, that is more than likely the problem as I do have a lot of light,they don’t have dimmer settings but I can easily raise them up.
I’ll have a look at light meters but already spent a lot so may have to wait!

JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

Brilliant, that is more than likely the problem as I do have a lot of light,they don’t have dimmer settings but I can easily raise them up.
I’ll have a look at light meters but already spent a lot so may have to wait!
Good ones can be pricey, look out for the hydro farm one, lots of bad reviews, but they may have since fixed the issue, something about the screen freezing.

Best of luck, itl take a little bit for the plants to recover, but I would expect them to show signs of recovery with a few days to a week

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
don’t forget a wet/dry cycle with the soil! the roots need to grow first.
plenty of holes in bottom and sides of container for good air flow and help with drying out evenly.

Thejackle

Thejackle

don’t forget a wet/dry cycle with the soil! the roots need to grow first.
plenty of holes in bottom and sides of container for good air flow and help with drying out evenly.
I bought air pots and am being pretty careful with the water and nutrients, my other plants look perfect so my main concern was that it was something that may affect the others, won’t hurt raising the lights and seeing what happens!
It’s all a learning curve and every bit of advice helps, I will update how they go, thank you for your help 🙂

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
every strain has its own way, i usually find that funky growth, etc early on is too high of dosage of nutrients, and soil not drying out enough, those are big pots for those plants and the roots need oxygen too.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
every strain has its own way, i usually find that funky growth, etc early on is too high of dosage of nutrients, and soil not drying out enough, those are big pots for those plants and the roots need oxygen too.
here’s over watered seedling.

353C1B0A 1578 4F9C A570 DBB4982334AB
JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

If you're just starting to grow now, I recommend true organics next round.

I've been growing since 2007 and Ive tried almost every kind of growing method from aeroponics to sips containers, and I'm sold on sips. Easiest water maintenance, and best yields per input of work. Last round I harvested anywhere from 1.6-2.28lbs per 1000w hps, depending on canopy size.

Plenty of people will doubt the high end numbers, but plenty of people have less growing experience. I target higher yielding strains which demonstrate high potency, such as Utopia Haze and Grease monkey, as yield is not based on any single variable.

I veg under LEDs and flower under hps. I use light rails and keep my 1k lights at 30", no glass, so ultimately I get a little more light than if they were mounted at 36" and stationary. Hence the slightly higher yield.

My grow, amended organics, no bottled nutes, top dressed organics in living soil.

I will refrain from recommending a specific soil bc I'm not a sponsor and if you Google living soil, I'm sure you will find a suitable brand.

Sips containers use wicking soil and are watered from the bottom. Amendments must be watered in from the top, and a pump sprayer helps prevent overwatering.

Nearly ever brand of nutrients is a high enough quality to succeed, don't fall for the typical bs where people say one brand is better than the other..

Container size is only an issue if you are watering incorrectly, or are using more soil than you actually need (waste). I start cuttings in a diy dwc cloner and transplant directly into 27g sips containers. Why waste time repotting? Nature doesn't transplant, nor does it grow in limited sized pots..

I still have an incredible amount to learn but every day brings in more knowledge, just keep searching and experimenting and you'll do well.

Fingers are dirty from tilling soil lol. Good luck and happy growing!

IMG 20200124 170837953
IMG 20200126 205349054
IMG 20200220 183118724
IMG 20200301 225041672 HDR
IMG 20200301 225132069
IMG 20200301 225217224
IMG 20191212 193954007
IMG 20200211 010151505
Top Bottom