First grow, but something is off.

• Thread starter Scarecrow1g
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

Hello, this is my first post here. I've read many forums on here but this is my first time posting one myself. First grow was successful and we have 10 oz from 6 plants, so not bad in my opinion. We were hoping for around 3-5 so 10 dry was awesome. We did four strains and two of them get us very high, better than some of the more expensive weed we have tried. We haven't tried the other two strains yet, so this is more of a cosmetic issue. None of the weed looks good, we have had $20 eights and $80 eights and this is weed just does not look like any of it. We have Strawberry bananas, vanilla frosting, magic melon and Taquitz OG all from Dark Heart nursery. They were grown in a vivosun 4x4 tent with two Mars hydro ts 1000w grow lights inside of the tent. We used Fox farms Ocean Forest soil and used PH down on our water, added Bloom to the water and fish and seaweed a few feedings as well as Calmag every water. We grew three plants in one 15 gallon container so two containers total in the tent. Our weed turned out extremely airy and we also believe they turned into herms, the herm part is from me over trimming two weeks into flower. I find it strange that all four plants are very airy, we also had very large nugs on almost all of the plants. We chopped down when we saw a few amber trichomes on each plant and dried for maybe 5 days but honestly I think we over dried. We had the temperature at 70ish and the humidity was kept down to about 45 percent. We have no moisture in the mason jars so we think we over dried, but that's another post. We also know we didnt do the best job trimming but why are the hairs sticking out so much? but For now does anyone know why our weed turned out super airy and also just doesn't look like normal weed? Here are some pictures. Thank you

First grow but something is off
First grow but something is off 2
First grow but something is off 3
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Sounds pretty good for your first grow!! Decent looking buds, nice and frosty, but yes they seem a bit airy. Did you keep notes throughout the grow? Time to go back and start checking what could cause a reduced yield. Environment, lights, soil, containers, etc. Lots of times airy nugs are from inadequate lighting. But remember this was your first grow as you said, should get fatter and more yummy as you learn. Best of luck on the next ones!!!

Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

You need 4 of those lights for a 4x4 and it looks like it was chopped a couple weeks early. Both under lit and harvesting early will significantly affect yield and density.
You need 4 of those lights for a 4x4 and it looks like it was chopped a couple weeks early. Both under lit and harvesting early will significantly affect yield and density.
Next grow were looking to purchase a new grow light, probably one of these for the whole tent? One should be fine for a 4x4?

Capture1
Capture
Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

We didn't really keep the best track of our grow time frame, next time were going to get a white board or note pad and keep better track, we definitely didn't know how long we were in flower.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Don’t get a blurple! They suck. Your much better off getting 2 more quantum board style lights. Just make sure they have Samsung lm301H or B diodes and a meanwell hlg driver around 3000k

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Next grow were looking to purchase a new grow light, probably one of these for the whole tent? One should be fine for a 4x4?
I agree with avoiding the blurples. If dropping that much coin on a light you are better of getting Quantum boards. Amazon is ok, Alibaba has same stuff wayyy cheaper. But I'm not trying to start that argument here. Light is light, as long as you get what you are aiming for. I've used cfl, high end blurples, and QBs. They all work to a certain degree. I prefer more boards running lower power for efficiency and longevity. Instead of one light maxed in a restricted footprint.

Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

Don’t get a blurple! They suck. Your much better off getting 2 more quantum board style lights. Just make sure they have Samsung lm301H or B diodes and a meanwell hlg driver around 3000k
What are blurple lights?

Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

Does anyone have some good light recommendations for a 4x4?

Billymgb

Billymgb

You should be putting 1 plant per container. Think about it all three are competing for the same nutes. I am in no way busting your cubes but you should be able to get 3 oz per plant easy. And definitely get more light in there it will do wonders for your buds. Good luck and I will be watching for your next grow.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
"blurple" lights are the lights that shine blueish purple, they have blue and red lights. you have two ts1000, get two more and go with that.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Would say you need at least 400-500w in there. Adding 2-3 additional lights will max that space and give you total coverage. Also gives more adjusting if running different plants

Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

You should be putting 1 plant per container. Think about it all three are competing for the same nutes. I am in no way busting your cubes but you should be able to get 3 oz per plant easy. And definitely get more light in there it will do wonders for your buds. Good luck and I will be watching for your next grow.
I agree with you, I was planning on one plant per 5 gallon container next time? Does that sound good?

Scarecrow1g

Scarecrow1g

Would say you need at least 400-500w in there. Adding 2-3 additional lights will max that space and give you total coverage. Also gives more adjusting if running different plants
I want to upgrade my lights as well, these were just the cheapest option so I could make sure I liked growing before we went in heavily invested. I would rather have one big light in my 4x4 tent. Do you have any recommendations?

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I run a 1000w hps in a 2.5x2.5 tent cost me lass than 100$ including a cool tube for temps

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I want to upgrade my lights as well, these were just the cheapest option so I could make sure I liked growing before we went in heavily invested. I would rather have one big light in my 4x4 tent. Do you have any recommendations?
But what happens if the driver or something goes out on the one BIG light. Then the whole room is down, unless you have a back up. Multiple lights, if ones down adjust the rest, replace when possible.
But thats me. I like to be covered just in case. I bought 6-200w units from an Alibaba vendor. VERY Happy with them. I have family using Amazon bought lights and growing good quality as well. It mostly all comes from overseas anyhow🤔

mancorn

mancorn

Concur with avoiding the blurple light just because being exposed to them is so fucking terrible. Not dangerous terrible, but just an environment you won’t want to hang out in. Half the fun of growing is fiddling around with your plants and you won’t want to be in a room with those god awful lights.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Honestly if my light goes out of just buy a new one tho I have lots of gear I don't even use anymore including lights . But your right multiple lights having backups is a good idea for sure

Latest posts

Top Bottom