First Grow Ever- Budget <$500

• Thread starter Mashedmitten
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Ok, first off, today is day 7 to set the record straight. Between the Wattage confusion and this I'm beginning to think the latest head injury might have done me a bigger mischief than first thought.

So, on day 7 I definitely have a couple of 'shrooms popping up in the RPK cup. Lesson learned, don't do that. I've got peat pellets for future. At this age you don't want issues of any kind, especially with harsher cures.

I gave them their first real drink this AM. I made a seedling solution of the Grow Big and Big Bloom and gave them each about a soda cap full. I read that in big pots, waiting until the top inch was dry before feeding/watering was a good ROT so I tried scaling it to these before I did it. I'm going to alternate feed and water and make sure I stick to the directions for each fertilizer I use and not over do it. I'll feed to saturation, but water to flush the salts, etc. from the soil. I got the fabric pots, but I'm going to put them on a base of river rocks to aid drainage. I've got a vacuum deal I made to suck water out of something, can be used with any vac, that I'll use to keep the moisture to a minimum.

Temps have been steady in the 70's, humidity's been between 50 and 60%, ok for seedlings but a little high for veg and worse for flower. I've got these bags you hang in damp areas and it slowly fills with water over time as it draws it from the air, but I wonder if it'd be too much. Plus I just added the fan so I'm in a holding pattern on that. Any recommends?

I was getting worried they were getting lanky, but I must have been close to PAR with them. If they did stretch, it was only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Now they seem to be throwing energy to the leaves. I can't wait until they start making with the perfume.

The bigger tent is arriving today along with the associated goodies. I'm going to make another post on the subject of naivete and how it relates to me as a first time grower. I'm a week into my first grow and I'm laughing at how quickly I went from "I can grow plants in the living room with sunlight and use the 2x2 tent to flower them." to "We're gonna need a bigger boat!".

I took some pics in regular light this AM. I ended up raising them an inch closer to the light to see what happens. AK's AWOL, nothing popping. I'll give it a few more days and then call it. I've got a Hash strain I'd like to start. That's a USB stick, for scale.

0725181049a
0725181049b
0725181050a
0725181050c
0725181051a

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Waiting on my first grow so take my advice with caution as its based off research. Don't feed anything but water for 2-3 weeks (so prob at least 1 more week) and you won't need to water often. Cut some drainage holes in the bottom of that cup for drainage and when you start seeing roots in the holes then transplant. if you have par charts for your lights (i believe you said you do), start with about 100-150 par and and increase slightly every few days.

This may help you get an idea of what to look out for with seedlings. https://www.growweedeasy.com/seedling-problems

Last edited:
Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

I'd like to talk a little about Naivete. IOW, how blind I was walking into this.

As stated earlier, when I decided to go the grow-my-own route, I figured on vegging in the living room and flower in the 2x2 tent. Before the tent arrived, even though I watched dozens of grow vids, I thought I was good. It wasn't until it arrived and I set it up that it hit me that although do-able, it wasn't going to be practical. I'd look at a vid with a decent plant and look at my little pup-tent and scratch my head in wonderment as to how I could possibly have been so naĂŻve. The 2x2 would have been great for small one-at-a-time grows, but even then it's a workaround.

The next eye opener was where I was going to put this operation. I own a 3 family house where I live in one of the apartments and the only acceptable place for the wife was my home studio which occupies a spare room. This operation will take about 1/4 of the room which is crammed with amps and guitars, etc... . Just the 2x2 tent is like a teenage refrigerator, I'm cringing at what the 4x4's going to look like in here. I'm going to have to play guitar like a stand up bass.

Just a little food for fodder.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Waiting on my first grow so take my advice with caution as its based off research. Don't feed anything but water for 2-3 weeks (so prob at least 1 more week) and you won't need to water often. Cut some drainage holes in the bottom of that cup for drainage and when you start seeing roots in the holes then transplant. if you have par charts for your lights (i believe you said you do), start with about 100-150 par and and increase slightly every few days.

This may help you get an idea of what to look out for with seedlings. https://www.growweedeasy.com/seedling-problems

Excellent info. Yes, holes were drilled before planting. This fertilizer has seedling concentration instructions and I erred on the light side of that. You're right though, you can hurt the wee-uns by dosing too early. I'll have a shufty at that article.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

This post is in the Wive's Tales vein.

I've been reading about various methods to increase THC production during flower and started thinking of other 'wive's tales' from other areas.

What started me thinking of this is remembering the time my grandfather had me trim a flowering tree in his front yard while it was budding. Needless to say, the tree didn't flower that year. My grandmother, not being told this was the cause, went out and bought a wooden baseball bat and proceeded to hit the base of the trunk every AM for the rest of the year. When I saw her one AM with the bat and asked what gave, my grandfather gave me the signal to keep quiet. Instead, I teased her that it was voodoo. When the tree flowered the next year she strutted like a Pea-hen thinking she had the last laugh. the 'I told you so's' were flying through the air. She'd tell everyone who'd listen to how she rescued the tree.

When my grandfather had a stroke and eventually passed, she was beyond distraught at the wake. People were just getting ready to call an ambulance when I sat down and told her the other side of this story. Like 20 years had passed since it happened, it was long forgotten. She immediately got up, went to the casket and started out with "You god-damned SOB, I told you to never mess with that tree! All this time I've been making an ass of myself and you stood there chuckling every time I told the story and wouldn't tell me why... . You god-damned SOB!" The whole family laughs to this day.

So, besides beating on the stems with a drum stick, here are some other ideas.

I made backing tracks and recorded both solos from Comfortably Numb yesterday, looped it and put it on an MP3 player inside the tent. I'm going to play it 24-7 to them. Music doth have charms, etc., etc... .

The next isn't so far fetched. I'm reading THC production can increase if the plant feels threatened or is attacked. I see people plucking fan leaves to get light to lower regions, what if you used a similar method to increase THC. My idea is to pluck a couple of leaves that are growing through the bud. You know, the ones you trim at harvest. I'm not saying a wax job, but I wonder if a few well-placed plucks would cause THC to be concentrated around the area. I've half sold myself on this idea.

Last, but in the same vein, I wonder if smoke is a trigger to produce more THC. Who knows, smoke meant fire for most of the plant's evolution. Maybe plants next to fires suffered more predation as they were the slim pickings left and as a result certain strains have a sleeping THC production gene that's triggered by elements in smoke. Stranger things are out there.

Now for really out there. I wonder if THC is really meant to be a reproduction tool in that it acts as a laxative. Something eats the plant, the THC eventually causes expulsion of the seeds a distance from the parent and provides a good shot of fertilizer. The stronger the weed, the shorter the flight from nest.

What say you?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This post is in the Wive's Tales vein.

I've been reading about various methods to increase THC production during flower and started thinking of other 'wive's tales' from other areas.

What started me thinking of this is remembering the time my grandfather had me trim a flowering tree in his front yard while it was budding. Needless to say, the tree didn't flower that year. My grandmother, not being told this was the cause, went out and bought a wooden baseball bat and proceeded to hit the base of the trunk every AM for the rest of the year. When I saw her one AM with the bat and asked what gave, my grandfather gave me the signal to keep quiet. Instead, I teased her that it was voodoo. When the tree flowered the next year she strutted like a Pea-hen thinking she had the last laugh. the 'I told you so's' were flying through the air. She'd tell everyone who'd listen to how she rescued the tree.

When my grandfather had a stroke and eventually passed, she was beyond distraught at the wake. People were just getting ready to call an ambulance when I sat down and told her the other side of this story. Like 20 years had passed since it happened, it was long forgotten. She immediately got up, went to the casket and started out with "You god-damned SOB, I told you to never mess with that tree! All this time I've been making an ass of myself and you stood there chuckling every time I told the story and wouldn't tell me why... . You god-damned SOB!" The whole family laughs to this day.

So, besides beating on the stems with a drum stick, here are some other ideas.

I made backing tracks and recorded both solos from Comfortably Numb yesterday, looped it and put it on an MP3 player inside the tent. I'm going to play it 24-7 to them. Music doth have charms, etc., etc... .

The next isn't so far fetched. I'm reading THC production can increase if the plant feels threatened or is attacked. I see people plucking fan leaves to get light to lower regions, what if you used a similar method to increase THC. My idea is to pluck a couple of leaves that are growing through the bud. You know, the ones you trim at harvest. I'm not saying a wax job, but I wonder if a few well-placed plucks would cause THC to be concentrated around the area. I've half sold myself on this idea.

Last, but in the same vein, I wonder if smoke is a trigger to produce more THC. Who knows, smoke meant fire for most of the plant's evolution. Maybe plants next to fires suffered more predation as they were the slim pickings left and as a result certain strains have a sleeping THC production gene that's triggered by elements in smoke. Stranger things are out there.

Now for really out there. I wonder if THC is really meant to be a reproduction tool in that it acts as a laxative. Something eats the plant, the THC eventually causes expulsion of the seeds a distance from the parent and provides a good shot of fertilizer. The stronger the weed, the shorter the flight from nest.

What say you?

*Removes tinfoil hat* I'm sending you messages telepathically. *puts tinfoil hat back on* there now the government won't hear me.

I would look into IR/UV and light spectrum, Temp and temp diff, Nutrients and nutrient starvation. Just me though and I have no proof. Just a lot of reading, some of which may be suspect.

Added: harvest time also have read 24-48 hrs dark before chop. Personally with all i have read 12-24hrs is probably plenty. I'm a bit lazy but you can find the info out there.

Wishbone

Wishbone

X2, take it easy on the seedlings with nutes, I know it’s exciting and you want to try adding nutes, but hold off until they actually need it or you’ll do more harm than good. Even basic bitch soil will be plenty for the first month or so from dropping them in.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

*Removes tinfoil hat* I'm sending you messages telepathically. *puts tinfoil hat back on* there now the government won't hear me.

I would look into IR/UV and light spectrum, Temp and temp diff, Nutrients and nutrient starvation. Just me though and I have no proof. Just a lot of reading, some of which may be suspect.

Added: harvest time also have read 24-48 hrs dark before chop. Personally with all i have read 12-24hrs is probably plenty. I'm a bit lazy but you can find the info out there.

Good points, I've read pretty much the same. For my Royal Purple Kush I need to lower the water temp/ enviro to get the purple to pop during the last stages of flower.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

X2, take it easy on the seedlings with nutes, I know it’s exciting and you want to try adding nutes, but hold off until they actually need it or you’ll do more harm than good. Even basic bitch soil will be plenty for the first month or so from dropping them in.

Don't feed the wee-uns steak and tatties, wean them from the tit slowly. Got it, will exercise caution. :thumbsup:

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

To hell with bigger tents, I need a bigger room. :yoiks:

I just assembled the 4x4 in here and needed every square inch of floor space to do it. Took me an hour to clear a 4x8 space. That was like getting dressed in a phone booth, but worse. Soaked in sweat in the air conditioned room. :evil:

On the bright side, I don't think I'll lack for room any time soon. I could grow a Redwood in there. I wonder if I set up a chair if I could get a tan while I'm waiting to fill it. :chin:

Can anyone tell me what purpose the two straps that come with tents serve? I've looked high and low and they aren't in the directions. Are they to fashion a truss out of when I herniate myself harvesting the massive pounds I'll get using the tents? ;)

Everything got delivered today except the surge protector power strips, they come tomorrow. I can't think of anything else I'll need for a few grows to come, and then it'll just be nutes.

Oh yeah, so far so good with the feeding. When I looked in a while ago they were thriving, no droop, sag or discoloration. Like I said, it was a mild dose in small proportion. The two leaves have gotten noticeably larger today. I didn't have my loop, but it looks like a tiny bud of new growth is forming between them.

The AK still hasn't kicked, I'm at 80% certain on the dud scale but I'll let it go. Not like I don't have the room. :cool:

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Oh, I wanted to take a pic of both tents, but I can't get them in the shot in the room.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Girls are awake and looking good this AM. I can see new leaves on all of them today. Appears they're taking the feeding well. I'm going to exhume the AK seed today, there were 'shrooms growing in it this AM. I'm going to try another in a couple of weeks. I've still got a Hash strain to try at a later time.

Here they are, RPK, AH and GSC. The RPK seems to want a little more light than the others, it was second to germinate but is the tallest. Next time I'll remember to put it an inch higher and see what happens. I was planning to flower the RPK first, but if it gets any lankier it might get mainlined. I included a shot of the soon-to-be-exterminated mushroom farm.

Oh, and my vigilant guard Piglet at the end. :D

0726180624a
0726180624c
0726180625a
0726180625b

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

I carefully excavated the AK and it had cracked with a wee sprout protruding. It seemed kind of deep, but I'd have thought there'd have been longer growth seeking light if that were the issue. Maybe it's just a slow riser. I tucked it back in to see what gives, but I think it'll have issues its whole life if it didn't die early on and I'm seeing fossilized remains.

Temps are in the mid 70's, humidity around 60% and it's been damp with on and off rain for the past few days. The wee leaves are noticeably larger since this AM on all 3.

I've got to get some super UV shades. I've got some, but they don't wrap around. I notice the difference if I don't use them, even for a short time.

K

kansabis

I carefully excavated the AK and it had cracked with a wee sprout protruding. It seemed kind of deep, but I'd have thought there'd have been longer growth seeking light if that were the issue. Maybe it's just a slow riser. I tucked it back in to see what gives, but I think it'll have issues its whole life if it didn't die early on and I'm seeing fossilized remains.

Temps are in the mid 70's, humidity around 60% and it's been damp with on and off rain for the past few days. The wee leaves are noticeably larger since this AM on all 3.

I've got to get some super UV shades. I've got some, but they don't wrap around. I notice the difference if I don't use them, even for a short time.
I believe the straps are for carbon filters.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

A few Q's if people don't mind. I do research before I ask questions, but if there's one guarantee about the internet, it's that you're always one click away for every possible different opinion on any given subject/search.

When will my plants start to smell? Will it permeate the house? It's legal here so I don't have to hide it, just wondering how much flak I'll get from the Mrs. and if all her clothes will reek of it. Again, not that I care, just wondered what grade of ear plugs to get. Will people on the street smell it if the windows are open? Not something I'd want to advertise, piflers might try to abscond with my schtuff.

What's your take on misting? None, germ-early veg/more? What are your thoughts on adding nutrients to the mist? What do they call it? foliar feeding? (Brain's toast ATM, needs food and sleep.) Makes sense, but seems easy to over-do and cause issues, same as PAR. I'm guessing you'd want to do it shortly after lights on so it'd evaporate before lights out and not be a breeding ground for varmits.

I need to be talked out of putting the RPK into flower right from seedling. I'm getting antsy already, fidgeting at the bit. Could use it as a learning experience while the others veg. I have more seeds so could grow one out later. Can't think of one as to why not to. I know it's a waste, but it'll give me a diversion and let the others just do their thing. What say ye all?

K

kansabis

A
A few Q's if people don't mind. I do research before I ask questions, but if there's one guarantee about the internet, it's that you're always one click away for every possible different opinion on any given subject/search.

When will my plants start to smell? Will it permeate the house? It's legal here so I don't have to hide it, just wondering how much flak I'll get from the Mrs. and if all her clothes will reek of it. Again, not that I care, just wondered what grade of ear plugs to get. Will people on the street smell it if the windows are open? Not something I'd want to advertise, piflers might try to abscond with my schtuff.

What's your take on misting? None, germ-early veg/more? What are your thoughts on adding nutrients to the mist? What do they call it? foliar feeding? (Brain's toast ATM, needs food and sleep.) Makes sense, but seems easy to over-do and cause issues, same as PAR. I'm guessing you'd want to do it shortly after lights on so it'd evaporate before lights out and not be a breeding ground for varmits.

I need to be talked out of putting the RPK into flower right from seedling. I'm getting antsy already, fidgeting at the bit. Could use it as a learning experience while the others veg. I have more seeds so could grow one out later. Can't think of one as to why not to. I know it's a waste, but it'll give me a diversion and let the others just do their thing. What say ye all?
As far as smell,some will start to smell in veg,usually after it gets some maturity(think puberty and bo) lol,but it's usually not too much and strain/pheno dependent,also even into flower some will stick to high heaven and others not so much,but it's usually good practice to have an air scrubber in flower space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom