First Grow Ever- Budget <$500

• Thread starter Mashedmitten
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Plants look good tonight. I had raised them an inch yesterday as they looked a little stretchy. Today they're going out and not up, the difference between this AM and PM is noticeable. Hopefully I'll get some nice, tight nodes.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

A

As far as smell,some will start to smell in veg,usually after it gets some maturity(think puberty and bo) lol,but it's usually not too much and strain/pheno dependent,also even into flower some will stick to high heaven and others not so much,but it's usually good practice to have an air scrubber in flower space.

Ok, noise cancellers during flower. Got it! :thumbsup: :D

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Just gave them a drink of plain water, the soil was pulling away from the edges of the cups. Didn't soak them until it came out the bottom but gave the a decent swallow. The cups were less than half the weight of the AK I Necropsied yesterday and re-planted. Read an article where that's what triggered watering for the guy, the weight of the pot. Seems a good gauge once you burn a baseline into muscle memory. Each pot got watered only when needed and not just wholesale.

They seem content, there's definitely no more stretch. Seem to be throwing everything at foliage.

Spent today setting up the larger tent. I can't stress enough giving consideration to the room the operation's going to take. What was once my home recording studio, with all the gear ready to go has become a grow operation with all instruments, etc.. stacked and piled on one side of the room. What was once spacious now seems like a closet. Oh well, the price paid...

The hurry-up bug has left the building, no urge to rush things any more. I live a mile from the dispensary so it's not like I'll want for meds during the process. I'm going to mainline right from the start, I'll start at three and work up to five. I've got three guinea pigs, er, patients in the lineup so... . Pretty straight forward, if I can rebuild engines and fix computers I should be able to handle this.

I'll try to get some pics up later, think yesterday's, but slightly larger. ;) :cool:

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Day 10

Smooth sailing, gobsmacked at the difference between last PM and this AM, it's like night and day. :mrgreen:

I'll grab pics later, I'm in wedding mode now.

The schoolgirl giddiness has officially worn off, everything's assembled and/or awaiting its task so I can settle down and re-organize this mess.

Couple more notes to self and others. For any sustainable indoor grow you need at least two of everything AND the space to put it. You can play at it with less, but that's it. When you're trying to imagine how much space you'll need, the footprint is minor compared to the reality of the height you'll need with the plant and light and the required distance for PAR. A 2x2x4 isn't going to cut it for flowering anything worth the cost of the electricity. It's good for a nursery , etc... so it does have a purpose, but they sell tents with nurseries built in, on the side. Double decker, even. The larger the footprint, the more it comes into play as well as height. When considering my 4x4x8, I pictured half a sheet of plywood on the floor and a full sheet standing up which got me close. It's the 3-D reality of the thing I neglected to realize. Were it made of different material, you could comfortably ship a gorilla. When I just thought how to describe it, the first thing that popped to mind was the gorilla cages in The Three Stooges flicks. I can live with it crowding me in here, but any room other than this and I'd be Daffy Duck when he made the egg disappear, getting clubbed over the head with whatever was to hand while "I want a DIVORCE!" blared in my eardrums.

Speaking of PAR, forget everything else about light except this. It's what really matters. Learn FIMing and better yet mainlining so you can get as much as possible in the sweet spot. Yes, it takes longer and I know first hand how tempting it can be to turn the oven to Bake yesterday, but don't do it. If a plant isn't photosynthesizing it ain't growing. If it's getting fried by too much it's just as bad. If you use a light that produces too much heat to place it the ideal distance you need to cool the immediate environment below it with fans/circulation or you'll cook the main cola. Hits 10 on my counter-productivity meter.

Don't let you're mouth be bigger than your stomach. IOW, don't buy 10 seeds and plant them all if you won't have the room to grow/flower them. I started 3, each a different strain, and consider it a rookie error on my part, especially given I planned to do everything in the 2x2. Luckily it's my first grow so I can compensate with the other tent. I read about people having germination issues and instead of realizing it's a weed and thinking of the multitudes I fight in the Veg garden and sidewalk/gutter all year that grow in oil stains, sand and all the other schmegma, I went overkill. If you buy from a catalogue there's small chance it's the seed, greater it's you and whatever it was you did it to all. Eg., paper towels. There can be bleaches and other contaminates that kill the seed. Plant the number you can flower and if one doesn't pop you've lost a couple of days, max.

Overhead equipment, don't forget it's there. When choosing kit, pay attention to the mounting method in that it will be secure as in part to part and also mount. An accidental bump can be a disaster waiting to happen. I've already had to move the small tent, told the wife to be careful around it and she proceeded to bump it 6 time and lean on it 3. Catastrophe diverted. Remember to remove the plants before doing so. Don't rely on 'being careful'.

Typing this, I just got word the wedding is off. They're just kids with kids, she falls under both categories. Now I'm all dressed up with no where to go. :fire: Wife's family, need I say more? :roll:

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Couple of questions.

While humid outside the biodome, inside it's been in the 60's- low 70's. Temp's been steady in the 70's. Is the humidity a little low for seedlings? I read where 70-80 is good, lowering with each stage. To get to 50-60 and lower during flower. Sound right? Any decent passive methods to bump it up? I've got some dry-cups to remove it when needed. Any small combo de/humidifiers anyone can recommend?

There was something else, but this wedding deal still has me discombobulated.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

A little bit of advice about advice, don't follow it blindly. Let common sense be your guide, as well. There are no hard, fast rules, you have to deal with what your given situation presents.

Take watering. Got great replies here promoting caution. I could have taken that and been over-cautious and held off watering too long because of it. Luckily I read things like that and can say 'OK, they mean to just make sure I'm at ideal and not drowning. In my setup right now, the temp is at the high end of ideal and humidity at the low end. Add to that I used tiny cups for starters and cheap potting soil that has more plywood chunks than peat (I actually pulled a piece out that had a letter from the stamp still visible) and I'm drying out every 2 days. I'm talking featherweight cups and dirt shrinking from the sides of the pots dry. Despite being told not to feed, like I said, I don't think plywood ink provides much in the way of nutes. I mixed up a half strength seedling dose of Fox Farms GB and BB and am giving it every other watering and just a thimbleful after the plain water. I realize I'm a Newb, but I can tell the difference in growth before and after the feeding started.

Point is, heed all advice, but let common sense and logic determine how it's applied to your particular grow with your particular givens. Every time I'm tempted to interfere, I remember that Mother Nature's had it all under control long before I hit the scene and to relegate myself to assist, and then only when absolutely needed.

More of a note to self than advice.

Mashedmitten

Mashedmitten

Well, I've been instructed by staff I'm to read and not post so I'll have to leave it at this. :D

See ya in the funny papers. :cool:

Top Bottom