First Grow - Heating Problems; Anyone Help?

• Thread starter swede
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

swede

All,

I am just starting my first grow and everything has went pretty well apart from temprature problems.

My room is 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.8 (L-W-H) and i have a 600w HPS with one of thoses cheap dutch shades. Ventiliation wise i have one 4" intake fan and one 4" exhaust with a carbon filter attached. I also have an oscillating fan in the room.

The temps are currently reaching 90-95F during light hours and 70F during the night hours. I can't seem to get them down. At the minute the outside temp is pretty high which obviously has alot to do with the inside temps.

I am restricted finacially and was hoping some of you experianced growers could offer some advice?

Thanks,

Swede. :whew

billopuffalot

billopuffalot

more air and a bigger exhaust
but seeing as u are financially challenged atm
maybe swithc ya lights on hours to run of a night
thats wat i do all year round
i find it provides more of a consistant temp..
all the best
bil

D

de cane

man, i got the same problem.
600 just gives a lot of heat and when the temps outside high too......

I get my cooltube today, so the problem should be solved.
There is a nice thread under the DIY´s for how to make a cool tube yourself much cheaper, you could try that.

And else I can only say intake as low as possible and exhaust as high as possible.
Before you change the size of your fans it might be cheaper to go for the DIY cooltube.

But I have to say I am not the most experienced indoor grower myself...

S

swede

Thanks Bill i am currently running the lights during the night. When i refer to day and night i mean lights on / lights off.

Swede.

S

swede

Thanks Cane thats sounds like a great idea. I think i will give the cooltube a try and see what happens. How much would the tube reduce the temps?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

All,

I am just starting my first grow and everything has went pretty well apart from temprature problems.

My room is 1.2 x 1.0 x 1.8 (L-W-H) and i have a 600w HPS with one of thoses cheap dutch shades. Ventiliation wise i have one 4" intake fan and one 4" exhaust with a carbon filter attached. I also have an oscillating fan in the room.

The temps are currently reaching 90-95F during light hours and 70F during the night hours. I can't seem to get them down. At the minute the outside temp is pretty high which obviously has alot to do with the inside temps.

I am restricted finacially and was hoping some of you experianced growers could offer some advice?

Thanks,

Swede. :whew

if your dimensions are right, it's no wonder your having heat
issues, according to your numbers, you only have a little
more that a cubic foot! ...if that's right, you will never get
a 600watt light to work in there.

can you post a picture or two, illustrating your exhaust and
your intakes, ...also, unless your intake and exhaust fans are
'balanced', then your intake fan is actually retarding air intake
rather than helping, try taking the intake fan off and cutting
another hole up top and mounting that fan as another exhaust,
then cut yourself another passive intake hole, and the intake
holes should equal twice the exhaust.

for real, post up some pictures so people can really help,
i'm on a real tight budget myself so i'm familiar with ghetto
solutions so i can offer advice, but you have to do your part too!
you have to help us help you!

peace, bozo

B

Buddy Reaper

You have some great advice to follow there Swede, best get posting those pics man.

justanotherbozo i think Swede's measurements are in meters not feet.

Swede im not a great advisor but from what i understand the intake must be larger than the out take when using confined spaces, hope this helps :smiley_joint:

L

likeakite

Since you mentioned being in a hot place, i gotta think the house is air conditioned? Any way to divert some cool air from a duct into the grow space? Maybe you could fashion some sort of hood to fit over a register or maybe run a temporary duct from the central air ducting.

Yeah, a 600 is gonna be hard to keep cool in that small space. A Cooltube would help, but then you might need to upgrade to a better reflector.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

You have some great advice to follow there Swede, best get posting those pics man.

justanotherbozo i think Swede's measurements are in meters not feet.

Swede im not a great advisor but from what i understand the intake must be larger than the out take when using confined spaces, hope this helps :smiley_joint:

yeah, lol, that would make a difference hunh?

and you're right, passive intakes are supposed to be twice
the size of the exhaust.

and a cooltube is the easiest, most efficient way to utilize
the light and control heat at the same time.

here's a couple pics of cabs with cooltubes and a link to
a great DIY cooltube.

Quazi's DIY Cool Tube & Reflector

the key here is to isolate the light from the grow, ideally,
with it's own fan and passive intake.

btw, that 4th pic isn't a cooltube, i posted it by mistake, lol.
...the bottom shot is the beginnings of my own DIY cooltube.

as you can see, there are many ways to configure it.

IMG 0966
HPIM2479
Harvest 06
Exhaust20fan20and20in line20filtera
101 57804
Dscn0314jm4
DSCI0814smll
S

swede

Thanks all i am currently working on the cahnges and will post some pictures when i get a minute.

Again thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated.

Swede.

G

gghtides

i gro at night cooler temp i use cool tubes and i ventilate

Top Bottom