First Grow. Need help/advice

• Thread starter elisabethm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elisabethm

My first time trying to grow. Unknown strain. Mostly just an experiment with a seed i had in one of my bags. Growing indoors. It’s been about 40 days since germination. I’ve given it 1 drop SuperThrive in 4oz water 2 times now 2 weeks apart, I’ve figured out now I probably should have waited on nutrients but damage is done. Just wondering if my plant is growing at a good rate, and also if the leaf browning is due to nutrients too early. It’s my first plant, I’m not super worried about failing as I have 8 little seedlings popping up and about 20 more seeds I can go through. For now I’m using the 20w full spectrum LED on my AeroGarden Hydro system. It’s about 8 inches above my plant right now. I have a viparspectra p1000 i’m setting up in my garage for when it needs more light coverage. Advice on the browning leaves? Advice moving forward on my new plants starting? 2 of my seedlings I decided to try in my hydro system. First pic was June 16th. *Edit* Also wondering if i’m officially in veg now that a full set of leaflets have popped out?
8EA0FD2E-CA4F-4876-9ACD-D604CD1415DD.jpeg
DB39E712-2F65-4CC6-8CA8-BF3D9A5D3BD5.jpeg
F11E2136-21D9-4CA9-B558-4CBCD259D2C1.jpeg
2B76123F-93D5-432C-960A-E058384C694A.jpeg

Last edited:
indogrow420

indogrow420

yo new growth looks fine, might need a touch of cal and mag.. The damage on the older leaves was probably from over- watering it but overall it looks fine.

Also try to moisten the whole medium thoroughly when watering, plants dont like dry spots

E

elisabethm

yo new growth looks fine, might need a touch of cal and mag.. The damage on the older leaves was probably from over- watering it but overall it looks fine.

Also try to moisten the whole medium thoroughly when watering, plants dont like dry spots
On another forum someone talked to me about drainage holes (I was only using a drainage layer of rocks) and i’ve added that now, along with a watering cycle with a big soak to allow runoff. Any advice on a good all in one liquid/powder for those trace nutrients and should I just follow instructions on the package? Thanks for the help!

indogrow420

indogrow420

Good! and depending on what nutrients you got, I have used general hydroponics and advanced nutrients, I usually start off at 1/4 strength of the recommended dose and slowly work my way up.. as soon as I see burnt leaf tips I lower the dose.
you can also use epsom salts 'unscented' for Magnesium at 1Gram per gallon as foilar or soil drench.

Links to basic essentials nutrients;
and like Vic said more light would be better at this stage, I would place them under that vsp1000 of yours

Last edited:
E

elisabethm

Good! and depending on what nutrients you got, I have used general hydroponics and advanced nutrients, I usually start off at 1/4 strength of the recommended dose and slowly work my way up.. as soon as I see burnt leaf tips I lower the dose.
you can also use epsom salts 'unscented' for Magnesium at 1Gram per gallon as foilar or soil drench.

Links to basic essentials nutrients;
and like Vic said more light would be better at this stage, I would place them under that vsp1000 of yours
I’ll get it under the new light today, wait a few days maybe to see how it responds and grab some better nutrients in the meantime. Thanks so so much for the advice guys

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

OP, As a new grower I would start by using Florinova Grow and Florinova Bloom. Florinova Grow will serve as your vegetative phase nutrient solution. Florinova bloom will be for your flowering phase. They are an all in one solution that will yield you very good results without having to figure out what does what to your plant. Once you're more familiar with how individual amendments affect your plants you can use them to more accurately boost your harvest at the right time they are needed. Some will say there are better.....and there are but Cannabis Cups have been won using only Florinova Grow and Bloom which should tell you something about the importance of technique and growing skill over the newest fertilizer everyone's freaking out over!😄

I still use it regardless of having used pretty much all the boutique nutes that have come out over the years. I always seem to come back to Florinova. Maybe it's a sign I need to improve my grow chops?!?😄

I typically amend my nutrient solutions with some Hormex, Pro tekt Silicate and Cal/Mag in veg and add some Bud Candy and Bud Igniter to the solution a week before I'm going to flip the girls to flower. I put them into darkness for 36 hours before I change my light schedule to 12/12. Once I change my light schedule I stop using the Grow fertilizer and Bud Igniter and give them Bloom with the same Hormex/Pro Tekt/Cal/Mag amendments until they've flipped into flower. After 3 weeks in visible flower I stop using Bud Candy and continue with the amendments I've mentioned previously. 2 weeks before harvest I stop feeding them the amendments and 1 week before I feed with water only. I stop watering altogether a few days before harvest to help with curing and to allow the plant to use up whatever nutrient it still has. I use Roots Organic Original as my base soil and inoculate it with MYKOS mycorrhizae to promote fast FBE formation(Fungal/Bacterial/Enzymatic).

Make sure you have good metering equipment to monitor EC/PPM and PH levels. They are VERY important if you want to be able to open up the root ball to maximum nutrient uptake over the entire spectrum. I like BlueLab products but they may be a bit pricey for some. If you do go with BlueLab I suggest you buy their Growers Toolbox. It includes both PPM/EC and PH meter along with all the calibration solutions you'll need to keep them accurate.

One last thing that most new growers tend to forget. ROOTS.

Make sure in the early development of the plant that you pay special attention to root health. Healthy roots will make your grow much easier and your plant much more pest and disease resistant. They will also allow your plant to grow bigger. Essentially the roots are the "mouth" of the plant so the bigger the mouth the bigger the plant! I use a product called Voodoo Juice that seems to really help with early stage root enhancement. This along with the inoculant will setup the ideal conditions for maximum nutrient uptake! I use this from seedling to the week 3 in flower. There is another that is supposed to be similar to VJ but cheaper called Aqua Shield but I've never tried it so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Cheap, Powerful and Effective. Best light ever? Nope but for the price you can't beat it. It's a 1000w dimmable LED so you can use it from seed to flower and have it if you decide to scale up to 4 plants. Best part is it's $69 so you can buy 2 and have more than enough light and scalability for whatever you want to do. It'll cover 3 x 3 in veg and 2 x 2 in flower.

Bestva BP1000 on Amazon.....

https://www.amazon.com/BESTVA-Dimma...QKDK7RH/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B09QKDK7RH&psc=1

They have a 2000w model for $219 that uses Meanwell Drivers and Samsung LM301H diodes. Waiting patiently for it to arrive for my 5 x 5.

E

elisabethm

OP, As a new grower I would start by using Florinova Grow and Florinova Bloom. Florinova Grow will serve as your vegetative phase nutrient solution. Florinova bloom will be for your flowering phase. They are an all in one solution that will yield you very good results without having to figure out what does what to your plant. Once you're more familiar with how individual amendments affect your plants you can use them to more accurately boost your harvest at the right time they are needed. Some will say there are better.....and there are but Cannabis Cups have been won using only Florinova Grow and Bloom which should tell you something about the importance of technique and growing skill over the newest fertilizer everyone's freaking out over!😄

I still use it regardless of having used pretty much all the boutique nutes that have come out over the years. I always seem to come back to Florinova. Maybe it's a sign I need to improve my grow chops?!?😄

I typically amend my nutrient solutions with some Hormex, Pro tekt Silicate and Cal/Mag in veg and add some Bud Candy and Bud Igniter to the solution a week before I'm going to flip the girls to flower. I put them into darkness for 36 hours before I change my light schedule to 12/12. Once I change my light schedule I stop using the Grow fertilizer and Bud Igniter and give them Bloom with the same Hormex/Pro Tekt/Cal/Mag amendments until they've flipped into flower. After 3 weeks in visible flower I stop using Bud Candy and continue with the amendments I've mentioned previously. 2 weeks before harvest I stop feeding them the amendments and 1 week before I feed with water only. I stop watering altogether a few days before harvest to help with curing and to allow the plant to use up whatever nutrient it still has. I use Roots Organic Original as my base soil and inoculate it with MYKOS mycorrhizae to promote fast FBE formation(Fungal/Bacterial/Enzymatic).

Make sure you have good metering equipment to monitor EC/PPM and PH levels. They are VERY important if you want to be able to open up the root ball to maximum nutrient uptake over the entire spectrum. I like BlueLab products but they may be a bit pricey for some. If you do go with BlueLab I suggest you buy their Growers Toolbox. It includes both PPM/EC and PH meter along with all the calibration solutions you'll need to keep them accurate.

One last thing that most new growers tend to forget. ROOTS.

Make sure in the early development of the plant that you pay special attention to root health. Healthy roots will make your grow much easier and your plant much more pest and disease resistant. They will also allow your plant to grow bigger. Essentially the roots are the "mouth" of the plant so the bigger the mouth the bigger the plant! I use a product called Voodoo Juice that seems to really help with early stage root enhancement. This along with the inoculant will setup the ideal conditions for maximum nutrient uptake! I use this from seedling to the week 3 in flower. There is another that is supposed to be similar to VJ but cheaper called Aqua Shield but I've never tried it so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Good Luck!
Thank you for all of that wonderful advice. Here she(?) is 10 days after the original post, putting under new light and adding lots of drainage. That was 3 days ago and she’s even bigger now. Repotting soon and switching up the setup bc she getting too tall for my current setup lol.

52132B5A 37F7 4F1E A044 A28B1D6C5E9C
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

She(hopefully) looks happy. Now's the time to start training her if you want to increase your yield.

E

elisabethm

She(hopefully) looks happy. Now's the time to start training her if you want to increase your yield.

Ah yes that is one thing I’m trying to start. I also need advice on one other thing… It seems a small jumping spider took up home in my plant lol. It’s pretty cute and probably eating any little bugs, do you think it’s fine to leave it on there?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

ANY bug other than Praying Mantis or Lady Bugs are probably not going to be your plants friend. I would shoo them away and try and keep ALL bugs away from the plant.

I feed my plants Pro Tekt Silicate to strengthen the branches and leaves. Most bugs will bore into the stems and drink the plants food. That's one way that bugs kill plants. They starve them to death or introduce some sort of disease they are carrying and transfer it to the plant.

Probably the two most prolific killers of weed are Spider Mites and Powdery Mildew. Spider Mites are microscopic bugs that lay eggs on the underside of your leaves. They proliferate VERY quickly and can take down an entire garden within days. Outdoors they aren't so much of a problem as they have natural predators that can keep them in check but indoors they have none and will proliferate very quickly. I've only had 2 times that I had Mite infestations. The first time was mild as I caught it early and was able to isolate the infested plants and sprayed down the rest of the crop with pesticide to kill the mites and their eggs. I had to reapply a couple times to make sure I killed off the newly hatched. 2nd time I had gone on vacation and had a friend babysit for me. I'm usually pretty good about keeping pests out of my rooms but my friend decided to forego the protocols I showed him needed to be done to keep that from happening. I use Tyvek jumpsuits whenever I enter my grow room to keep mites and other bugs out of the room since they'll get in riding on your clothes but he got lazy and went in with his street clothes. Half way through my vacation he called me and told me the girls all looked like they needed water as they were really wilting. He sent me a pic and I knew immediately what it was. I instructed him to make up a batch of Azamax miticide and spray down the crop with the mini fogger I have for that specific purpose but it was too late. Pretty much the entire crop was lost and it was in week 5.....😭

Latest posts

Top Bottom