First grow outdoors in New England

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I have experience in growing cannabis outdoors in the south east and generally they have done very well with good yield. I moved to New England last July and the weather is very bipolar here. I started my photoperiod plants indoors early March. I was able to put them outdoor in the ground the first week of June. I started my seedlings in a mix of coast of Maine Stonington blend and ocean forest, about (70% c.o.m. and 30% o.f.). I made my own compost using organic material from my property, kitchen scraps, chicken manure and egg shells( I have 12 chickens so it's fresh!). I dug a 5ft deep hole and filled it full of my compost and transplanted my plants. Even though it has been a very cold summer for my area I am amazed at how well and resilient my plant have been doing. No disease, minimal pest and no deficiencies. My plants was at 3 ft tall in June and now they are between 5ft and 7ft mid July and are just now in pre flower. My strains are future#1, Bruce banner, gelato dream, HHH, and Carolina blue. My autos are GSC. With flowering coming does anyone have any tips on what to look for or do for my girls? Since I'm in new England idk if I'm going to have to do anything special to make it to harvest for the region. I am impressed with the soil quality new England has. The south east is red clay and very difficult to maintain any plant down there.

First grow outdoors in new england
First grow outdoors in new england 2
First grow outdoors in new england 3
First grow outdoors in new england 4
First grow outdoors in new england 5
First grow outdoors in new england 6
First grow outdoors in new england 7
First grow outdoors in new england 8
Jimmie

Jimmie

Looking good. I’m on Long Island, little warmer then you cats. My only advice is grow em big , you are on your way!

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Plants look good. I’m in NE mass and have 15+ years of outdoor grows. My advice is to prepare for heavy bud set with stakes and string supports. If plants are small enough to cover during flowering, get some type of plastic covers or beach umbrellas to keep buds dry at end of season. I have a hard time keeping plants under 7 ft so branch supports are key to prevent breakage later in year. Good luck.

1406EF24 72BF 4D11 AE3E B37855C4711F
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

FYI…beach umbrellas offer good quick protection that can be positioned and removed quickly but the top vents can pool water during storms. That’s why I added the plastic sheeting that I tie down all around then remove after storms pass. I also use a leaf blower on tall plants I can’t cover to blow off excess rain after storms.

BostonGRASS

BostonGRASS

I have experience in growing cannabis outdoors in the south east and generally they have done very well with good yield. I moved to New England last July and the weather is very bipolar here. I started my photoperiod plants indoors early March. I was able to put them outdoor in the ground the first week of June. I started my seedlings in a mix of coast of Maine Stonington blend and ocean forest, about (70% c.o.m. and 30% o.f.). I made my own compost using organic material from my property, kitchen scraps, chicken manure and egg shells( I have 12 chickens so it's fresh!). I dug a 5ft deep hole and filled it full of my compost and transplanted my plants. Even though it has been a very cold summer for my area I am amazed at how well and resilient my plant have been doing. No disease, minimal pest and no deficiencies. My plants was at 3 ft tall in June and now they are between 5ft and 7ft mid July and are just now in pre flower. My strains are future#1, Bruce banner, gelato dream, HHH, and Carolina blue. My autos are GSC. With flowering coming does anyone have any tips on what to look for or do for my girls? Since I'm in new England idk if I'm going to have to do anything special to make it to harvest for the region. I am impressed with the soil quality new England has. The south east is red clay and very difficult to maintain any plant down there.
Looks good. I'm in suburban Boston and have been growing indoors under BlackDogs in perpetual cycles and outdoors for the last 5 years. I pulled my plants end of September - strain dependent of course - through early October. In past years I have had mold problems taking them too far into Fall with huge swings and day and night temperature and rainfall. I grow in Compost and Stonington Blend as well. Last year I pulled an Archive Dubba Dosi (Bubba Kush '98 and DosiDo). Amazing. Far better than any plant I have ever grown indoors. Best of luck with your run.

BostonGRASS

BostonGRASS

Plants look good. I’m in NE mass and have 15+ years of outdoor grows. My advice is to prepare for heavy bud set with stakes and string supports. If plants are small enough to cover during flowering, get some type of plastic covers or beach umbrellas to keep buds dry at end of season. I have a hard time keeping plants under 7 ft so branch supports are key to prevent breakage later in year. Good luck.
totally agree Nashoba

AirHammer

AirHammer

Staking them before its needed makes it all go easier.

I use small to large bamboo. Its perfect for windy days it has some flex. If it bends its funny if it breaks now that wont be funny ;

BTW that pool might be ready for some new water LOL!

20220817 203858
Last edited:
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

Lol the pool is too expensive to repair so we decided to turn it into a coy pond and build a fence around it so we can put our ducks in there. We have a air/water pump and we also plan on putting minnows with aquatic plants. I used stakes and masonry string and built a trellis around all my plants to help support the branches. On the windy days I keep a close eye on them and they seem to be doing good. And I take my leaf blower and knock all the rain drops off after storms to keep fungus and mold from developing.

LC39

LC39

Mold is ever present. That’s what will ruin your day. If not already doing so, do a weekly anti fungal treatment. At a minimum 4–7% acetic acid (white vinegar @ 2 oz per gallon) sprayed at sundown. Don’t wait till you can see mold, I promise you the spores are everywhere.

AirHammer

AirHammer

Use a Silica supplement with every nutrient pour through entire grow. I have not had mold or PM since I started using it.

Generally a well balanced organic healthy grow with silica and plenty of worm castings gives plants a fighting chance against mildews.

Synthetic fertilizers are the opposite, its more like a calling card to mildew and other pests.

I don't believe in topical treatments or applying pesticides of any kind. A healthy grow mostly takes care of itself.

20220817 203825
Last edited:
WhataMainah

WhataMainah

IMG 20220827 172426525

Year number 3 here. Last year I used synthetic nutes and fought bugs/ leaf septoria. This year I went with organic soil amendments (north country Pro-gro with earth worm castings in veg and bone/fish meal now in flower.

Anyone have a suggestion on an amendment I can add to the soil to pack on weight? Is molasses tea really a thing anyone does?

AirHammer

AirHammer

I switched to organic 10 years aGO and never looked back. There is a little more cost involved with organic but you cant beat the health robustness and flavor of organically grown plants.

I top dress with a generous amount of worm castings and some high P-K bat guano blended for flowering.

You can steep them in a tea, both ways get it to the plants roots fine, and work well. The tea is a littler faster. No big deal.

Roughly 4 litres of water to a tbs of blackstrap molasses.

You will have to crunch your numbers, the strength of guanos vary, some of it is potent and it will burn roots quickly if its too highly concentrated.

Google guano/ casting tea. There are lots of good recipes.

I simply top dress twice during flowering stages. It really chunks up the buds.

Top Bottom