First grow plant seems short, is it healthy?

• Thread starter ab2233
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

ab2233

Hello, this is a Skunk #1 photo seed from Canuk seed bank. (First ever grow) I have it in a 5 gallon cloth pot with bottom 1/3 nature's living super soil / perlite / coco loco. Rest is coco loco / perlite. I germinated the seed and put it directly into the 5 gallon pot. It is day 31 and seems kind of short to me, is it healthy? The previous 2 waterings were 2 cups, then 4 days later the soil needed watering so gave another 2 cups yesterday. I have it in a vivo sun 2x2x4 with their vs1000 100w light, and a 4inch inline fan for airflow. Light is about 20 inches away. Thanks for any info
First grow plant seems short is it healthy 3

First grow plant seems short is it healthy 2
First grow plant seems short is it healthy 4
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Please back the light off to 24 inches above the canopy.
20 inches is just a little close. Your plant will thank you.

I don't understand your reasoning for a mix and match potting medium as you describe.
In the future if you want to grow in Coco Grow. It's best to grow in Coco.
Check out Coco for Cannabis it's a great place to learn about growing in Coco.

The same goes for growing in Living soil or a Peat Moss based potting medium
like Pro Mix..

These are all great mediums for growing, But each has it's little differences.
I don't think mixing them all together like you have done is going to gain you anything.
in fact It's hard to offer advice as each medium has it's quirks. It's best to pick a medium and go with it.
That being said. I'm sorry to sound so negative. But, I rather enjoy helping new guys get themselves sorted and
have a great grow experience.

From what I see, your plant looks to be in pretty nice shape. Don't worry about her size. Some plants just take there time.
They grow a root system first. Then they start growing above ground.
What are you feeding her?
Do you have an E.C pen.
A, P.H pen and PH Down solution?
Any chance you added a little bone meal, Gypsum or Dolomite lime? Anything?
Do you have Cal-Mag on hand ?

When growing in a tent it's best to keep your plant short and bushy. Down out of the light.
This is where LST / Low Stress Training comes in.
Your plant is not quite there yet, but you should check these videos out
so when the time comes you are prepared.

A

ab2233

Hello! I really appreciate your reply, I should have mentioned I followed the "just add water" super soil method to make it easy on myself for my first grow. (Growweedeasy com). I've been just giving it crystal gyser spring water no ph testing, nutrients or anything. I haven't added anything besides just the super soil, colo loco and perlite. I will get that light moved up to 24 inches as well! My next grow(s) will be more planned out, this was sort of a test run for me.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Right on bud.
Other than the light she looks pretty good. Make sure and check out the videos I posted for you.
They are very informative and well done. No need to use bottled water. Rainwater is best if you can collect it.
Otherwise well or city water is just fine. You can pick up a P. H pen on Amazon for $20 or $30 and a bottle of P.H down at most garden centres.
It's nice to be able to adjust your water P.H.

I opened the link to Grow Weed Easy and saved it to my browser. I think I have seen this sight before and it looks interesting. I will give it a good snoop this afternoon. Maybe I will learn something.
Nice talking with you, Feel free to keep in touch.
Ron

A

ab2233

Right on bud.
Other than the light she looks pretty good. Make sure and check out the videos I posted for you.
They are very informative and well done. No need to use bottled water. Rainwater is best if you can collect it.
Otherwise well or city water is just fine. You can pick up a P. H pen on Amazon for $20 or $30 and a bottle of P.H down at most garden centres.
It's nice to be able to adjust your water P.H.

I opened the link to Grow Weed Easy and saved it to my browser. I think I have seen this sight before and it looks interesting. I will give it a good snoop this afternoon. Maybe I will learn something.
Nice talking with you, Feel free to keep in touch.
Ron
Hi again Ron! You've been a major help and I greatly appreciate it! I've watched the videos you sent, and ordered a P.H pen. I believe it might be time to top the plant now but I am unsure. Your insight would be much appreciated!!!

PXL 20240527 204158098
PXL 20240527 203929964
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hi again Ron! You've been a major help and I greatly appreciate it! I've watched the videos you sent, and ordered a P.H pen. I believe it might be time to top the plant now but I am unsure. Your insight would be much appreciated!!!
it’s not time to top,.
you’ve stunted it due to improper watering,.
a 5 gallon bag will take up to a gallon to fully saturate,.

A

ab2233

it’s not time to top,.
you’ve stunted it due to improper watering,.
a 5 gallon bag will take up to a gallon to fully saturate,.
That makes sense, the previous watering was 2 cups 4 days ago and its almost dry first knuckle deep but not quite. so i should up the watering by a lot?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
That makes sense, the previous watering was 2 cups 4 days ago and its almost dry first knuckle deep but not quite. so i should up the watering by a lot?
has that bag/soil been fully saturated ever?
and yes water like 1000 ml at a time waiting 5-10 mins in between each,.. giving 4 waterings of 1000 ml will be a gallon,..

A

ab2233

It has not been fully saturated ever. But, just before I saw this reply, I watered until i saw runoff which took half a gallon.

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

It has not been fully saturated ever. But, just before I saw this reply, I watered until i saw runoff which took half a gallon.

Did the Runoff came from the bottom ? Im using a 1.3 gallon Pot and sometimes need up to .5 gallon to have all saturated and getting a runoff.

Not too sure with your Medium but Soil can become hydrophobic if left dry over a longer period, meaning its not taking up water well and can to some degree just run through the bucket.
In those cases you need to slowly water and wait for the soil to absord the moisture before adding more. ie 1/3 of a cup, waiting abit, another 1/3 and so on .

A

ab2233

Did the Runoff came from the bottom ? Im using a 1.3 gallon Pot and sometimes need up to .5 gallon to have all saturated and getting a runoff.

Not too sure with your Medium but Soil can become hydrophobic if left dry over a longer period, meaning its not taking up water well and can to some degree just run through the bucket.
In those cases you need to slowly water and wait for the soil to absord the moisture before adding more. ie 1/3 of a cup, waiting abit, another 1/3 and so on .
Hello! Yes, the runoff came from the bottom, it wasnt much at all and it seemed to absorb it through the bottom rather quickly. Thanks for the reply!

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

Nick and Ron are way more advanced then me so lean more towards their advice, though i would suggest once you made sure that you have it fully saturated to lift the Bag, if you can so without issues.
Than get an idea of the weight an make a mental note of it, do the same after your dryback and keep doing it a few times.
Once you get a feel for it you can just water based on weight making it easier, at least for me, to deem when to water once the Plant starts to drink faster.
Personally i wouldnt suggest any watering shedule unless your doing a full Coco or Hydro run.

A

ab2233

well.. i just noticed these white spots near the bottom of plant and whatever those bugs are.. am i screwed? :(

PXL 20240530 012252730
Newty

Newty

You can get rid of the bugs.
I've never had a bug problem so unfortunately I can't tell you how.

There's definitely people here to help with it!
Maybe post a new thread titled Help, Bug Problem or something. It will get more attention from people who know how to take care of it

A

ab2233

You can get rid of the bugs.
I've never had a bug problem so unfortunately I can't tell you how.

There's definitely people here to help with it!
Maybe post a new thread titled Help, Bug Problem or something. It will get more attention from people who know how to take care of it
Appreciate the response, I'll make a new post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom