First Grow Shopping Cart (what’s missing?)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I dig your motivation bro but get a good light and play with different substrates. I prefer soil simply because I deal with it daily in my job and I know how it works for the plants I use outside of marijuana. If it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing.

I feel that you may be gathering too much for a first grow. Weed can be grown with minimal light and no nutrients. When we involve or over think these, things start to get more complicated and the plant feels/shows it. That's my beginner tip. Just get a good light, a tent and the other basics and start growing.

With as much though and money as you are planning/putting in to this, I feel that if things go south you may drop the hobby. You can have a really decent first grow without the tech. Learn yourself from the first and upgrade from there is all I'm saying.
I appreciate the advise! But I also think understanding the big picture and digging into the details to help me understand it isn’t over complicating it, it’s giving me the big picture and helping me understand it. Especially comparing the differences of growing in different mediums. I also love the challenge because I love learning...about everything.

Dothraki

Dothraki

So much this.

Concentrate on a good light with potentiometer in a tent is a must and ENVIRMWNTAL control.

The second will likely be the biggest issues you will have if doing coco.
Yes my biggest focus right now is temp and humidity control. I plan to set the tent up, run the light and get a dry reading to go off, then change what I need with keeping in mind the rise and fall with plants in there. Before potting.

...at least to get a basic idea if I need AC, Humidifier, Dehumidifier, heater....all of the above lol hopefully not that.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Most definitely. I was never looking to grow fast. Speed and yield are not something I’m interested in. Only final quality. Of course I’ll have to dig deep and get some real world experience in before that happens...this grow will only be step one. I don’t expect it to be fire out of the gate....but will do everything I can to attempt it haha.

oh btw...the seeds were from Humboldt Seed Co. Called pineapple upside down cake. Heard they have good genetics but also read that most Trainwreck strains have a tendency to herm? So...maybe I’ll find out.
Environment, Environment, environment.
I understand. That is one of the risks I am willing to take but...I don’t plan on adding anything else. I want to see if the bottle does what it says, without intervening.
Then you should be fine. Fair warning when you have environmental issues.... and you will ppl will start saying what the ph etc... keep this in you head..... do NOT listen to the suggestions to ph adjust as it will fuck with the chemistry that makes those nutes work.

You will also want to be using RO as they are designed for RO. And I would get the line for specifically coco as cal can be an issue.

Adding cal mag can also mess with them if I remember correctly and you will need a minimum ppm of 400 for a concentration to adequately maintain the ph.

I avoid ph balancing nute issues because it just a pita to try to understand what's causing the issue.

Just some tips from seeing issues here. Maybe search the forums for PH balancing nute issues to learn about what issue they can create so your ahead of the game on this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I appreciate the advise! But I also think understanding the big picture and digging into the details to help me understand it isn’t over complicating it, it’s giving me the big picture and helping me understand it. Especially comparing the differences of growing in different mediums. I also love the challenge because I love learning...about everything.
If you just go by the labels and marketing sure.

Forst grow is about learning as much as possible and trying to get to harvest with something to smokebat then end.

If you look around the ppl here on thier first grows have put in a lot of research and have a good understanding of the grow style they are using plus have invested in good environmental control.

Your doing all the right things and asking all the right question so I'm fairly confident you will be successful also.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Environment, Environment, environment.

Then you should be fine. Fair warning when you have environmental issues.... and you will ppl will start saying what the ph etc... keep this in you head..... do NOT listen to the suggestions to ph adjust as it will fuck with the chemistry that makes those nutes work.

You will also want to be using RO as they are designed for RO. And I would get the line for specifically coco as cal can be an issue.

Adding cal mag can also mess with them if I remember correctly and you will need a minimum ppm of 400 for a concentration to adequately maintain the ph.

I avoid ph balancing nute issues because it just a pita to try to understand what's causing the issue.

Just some tips from seeing issues here. Maybe search the forums for PH balancing nute issues to learn about what issue they can create so your ahead of the game on this.
I don’t think the Mantis works with RO....I’m not sure why though but did read that that’s a downside. I need to check my local store out for coco though, I’ve seen good things said about canna. I plan on 30% either perlite or the clay balls...probably perlite then clay balls on top t help with gnats?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes my biggest focus right now is temp and humidity control. I plan to set the tent up, run the light and get a dry reading to go off, then change what I need with keeping in mind the rise and fall with plants in there. Before potting.

...at least to get a basic idea if I need AC, Humidifier, Dehumidifier, heater....all of the above lol hopefully not that.
Understand you will have to control environment of the room the tent sits in. A 3x3 won't allow proper mixing of air to control temp or humidity.

growsince79

growsince79

No offense, but you say you want easy quality buds and don't care about yield. Then you say you want to use coco and nutes that cost more than the electricity. It's like a 4 year old learning to fly a helicopter before he gets off training wheels. GL

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don’t think the Mantis works with RO....I’m not sure why though but did read that that’s a downside. I need to check my local store out for coco though, I’ve seen good things said about canna. I plan on 30% either perlite or the clay balls...probably perlite then clay balls on top t help with gnats?
I doubt they will help with gnats and would use large perlite 100% over clay pellets. Canna is certified pest free so yeah I would recommend that.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I doubt they will help with gnats and would use large perlite 100% over clay pellets. Canna is certified pest free so yeah I would recommend that.

I know it happens but getting bugs indoors doesn't even sound logical to me unless your dealing with clones or have a lot of outside traffic around your plant. It hasn't happened to me yet at least. Thankfully...Lol.

Dothraki

Dothraki

No offense, but you say you want easy quality buds and don't care about yield. Then you say you want to use coco and nutes that cost more than the electricity. It's like a 4 year old learning to fly a helicopter before he gets off training wheels. GL
I chose coco because I wanted to go with Mantis...which is more made for Hydro and Coco. Everyone does learn differently...this way works best for me.

growsince79

growsince79

I chose coco because I wanted to go with Mantis...which is more made for Hydro and Coco. Everyone does learn differently...this way works best for me.
Do you work for Mantis? Because for someone who wants easy, you sure seem stuck on a product that cost 10x normal and won't work any better or be easier. Easy is plant in soil, spend $15 on a bag of dry amendments and only use plain water the whole grow. I promise the results will be better than the Mantis. You should try and see for yourself. Start a diary and take lots of pics. GL

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know it happens but getting bugs indoors doesn't even sound logical to me unless your dealing with clones or have a lot of outside traffic around your plant. It hasn't happened to me yet at least. Thankfully...Lol.
Yeah me either but I'm in a sealed room. It's a lot more common than I realized and used to think the same way before setting up a few other grows. I have one buddy that has to run BTI start to finish because of gnats. Figured out they were coming from the drains. Be surprised at how crafty those bacteria are.

Pets, and personal hygiene after coming inside and another big one is house plants.

I am terrified of bugs so not to scar all your folks but it's not uncommon to hit my room in the undies lol. And I shower if I been in the garden.

Paranoia strikes deep 😁

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do you work for Mantis? Because for someone who wants easy, you sure seem stuck on a product that cost 10x normal and won't work any better or be easier. Easy is plant in soil, spend $15 on a bag of dry amendments and only use plain water the whole grow. I promise the results will be better than the Mantis. You should try and see for yourself. Start a diary and take lots of pics. GL
Remember when ya was wet behind the ears and overwhelmed with excitement. That feeling that you were going to grow the best bud the world has seen and revolutionize growing?

Idk maybe not everyone but I did lol. Well it didn't take long to learn I didn't know what I didn't know and had to find out for myself.

I still to this day learn the hard way and get frustrated watching others do the same dam thing I do.... learn the hard way. But sometimes that's what it takes because you won't understand if you don't experience it first hand.

I'm with ya. But sometimes it's just something someone has to do.

No doubt they will work and like ya say no doubt ya pay 10x more for something that's unnecessary and makes little to no impact.... but sometimes it's worth the forst hand experience and knowledge to pay it.

growsince79

growsince79

Remember when ya was wet behind the ears and overwhelmed with excitement. That feeling that you were going to grow the best bud the world has seen and revolutionize growing?

Idk maybe not everyone but I did lol. Well it didn't take long to learn I didn't know what I didn't know and had to find out for myself.

I still to this day learn the hard way and get frustrated watching others do the same dam thing I do.... learn the hard way. But sometimes that's what it takes because you won't understand if you don't experience it first hand.

I'm with ya. But sometimes it's just something someone has to do.

No doubt they will work and like ya say no doubt ya pay 10x more for something that's unnecessary and makes little to no impact.... but sometimes it's worth the forst hand experience and knowledge to pay it.
When I started, I had dirt from outside, a shop light, and peters 20-20-20. I just hoped for something to smoke.
I'm probably just too cynical. I just see lots of salesmen posing as growers or would be growers on the internet. The marketing for products and seeds and so on. Then you buy them and its not as good as your home made bag seed stuff.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When I started, I had dirt from outside, a shop light, and peters 20-20-20. I just hoped for something to smoke.
I'm probably just too cynical. I just see lots of salesmen posing as growers or would be growers on the internet. The marketing for products and seeds and so on. Then you buy them and its not as good as your home made bag seed stuff.
I'm with ya man 95% of the industry is how to blow smoke up people's ass to get thier money.

I mean the products work they just don't meet the claims made. But somehow if they don't kill your plants they are amazing lol

Drives me crazy too.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Well let’s put it this way...it sounds like a bullshit product, but maybe that’s because it’s the first of its kind. I saw no other all in one product that you don’t mix, don’t adjust PH, change feeding schedules, amount of nutrients etc. so if this stuff really is good then i would imagine other companies are already on it and will release their own versions. I imagine if it does work, you can probably still squeeze a little more from your plants potential by dialing everything in manually.(edit: just to clarify...I mean dial in manually by growing with more traditional feeding methods and not using the all in one) The point for me is to set nutrients and PH aside...focus on the basics like environment, lighting, pruning etc. which I feel is very logical and practical. During this grow I will still also be learning about other methods of growing, nutrients, ph etc, not in practice but in reading and discussing on here. I don’t think researching something is easy and I wouldn‘t be researching it if I thought it was. It’s very possible that I work for Mantis and this is a marketing scheme. I hope you still believe it after I harvest because that means things went well hahaha. But... if it goes bad, you’ll know I’m not. All documentation will let you guys decide if I screwed it up...or it was the Mantis.

growsince79

growsince79

Well let’s put it this way...it sounds like a bullshit product, but maybe that’s because it’s the first of its kind. I saw no other all in one product that you don’t mix, don’t adjust PH, change feeding schedules, amount of nutrients etc. so if this stuff really is good then i would imagine other companies are already on it and will release their own versions. I imagine if it does work, you can probably still squeeze a little more from your plants potential by dialing everything in manually.(edit: just to clarify...I mean dial in manually by growing with more traditional feeding methods and not using the all in one) The point for me is to set nutrients and PH aside...focus on the basics like environment, lighting, pruning etc. which I feel is very logical and practical. During this grow I will still also be learning about other methods of growing, nutrients, ph etc, not in practice but in reading and discussing on here. I don’t think researching something is easy and I wouldn‘t be researching it if I thought it was. It’s very possible that I work for Mantis and this is a marketing scheme. I hope you still believe it after I harvest because that means things went well hahaha. But... if it goes bad, you’ll know I’m not. All documentation will let you guys decide if I screwed it up...or it was the Mantis.
Who told you its the first of its kind? They've had complete one part ph buffered nutes for decades. Its not new at all. I used this in the eighties and it worked perfect. I might just order some and see if its still good. This $9 jar will last me a year. LOL

16 oz. Ecogrow Standard (10-8-14)​

Ecogrow Powdered Nutrients
Ecogrow Powdered Nutrients

Product 8/17
Previous
Return to the Product List
Next

16 oz. Ecogrow Standard (10-8-14)
larger image

$8.98
Ecogrow Standard (10-8-14 N-P-K) was developed for the Pacific N.W. Climate (temperate zone). It is ideal for our most popular hydroponic plants - tomatoes, cukes, lettuce and bell peppers. Overall, it is probably the best hydroponic plant nutrient on the market today!

PDF.jpg
Ecogrow Instruction & Information

Add to Cart:

• Model: 2001
  • Shipping Weight: 2lbs
  • Manufactured by: Eco Enterprises

Dothraki

Dothraki

Who told you its the first of its kind? They've had complete one part ph buffered nutes for decades. Its not new at all. I used this in the eighties and it worked perfect. I might just order some and see if its still good. This $9 jar will last me a year. LOL
I think it’s the first that’s actually market for cannabis, and ultimately dialed in specifically for it (I’d imagine). But if other all in ones worked perfect why doesn’t anyone use them?

Top Bottom