First Grow. Should I Use 24/0 Light Schedule For Autoflower?

• Thread starter thumbdrooler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thumbdrooler

thumbdrooler

Trying to nail down the best schedule for a couple of autos in a grow box. I'm leaning towards 24/0 based on this web page;

"....you should let the lights shine 24/0(all the time). Autoflowers will also grow with a dark period and if you want to save electricity then you can grow them under 18/6 or 20/4 light schedule, but those plants won’t be as big and they won’t have as much weight."
Complete Autoflower Grow Guide

Is this solid advice?

Given the electrical costs in my area, 18/6 would cut my hydro costs from $60 to $30 for the grow so that would be nice, but as this is my first grow, cost is not a primary concern. I'm more focused on getting the technique right first time out.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

I've tried 24 and the plant was stunted compared to norm 18/6 . It did finish a lot quicker but smoke is not as good . Just my experience . Plus your roots need down time imo

str8smokn

str8smokn

20/4 light schedule is best,gives you the down time..here's mine at 20/4 she reached 3 ft tall

thumbdrooler

thumbdrooler

Great pic. Nice touch with the tape measure on the side. Now I'm leaning to 20/4, got a few days to decide.

Thanks folks

cannabeans

cannabeans

From my personal experience I would have to agree with 20/4

geori

geori

This is a good a thread to jump in and ask.. It has been suggested that I start up my hps two weeks after the plants sprout. Then it has also been suggested to not change to hps until the plants have stopped their stretch.. Then yet again, some suggest to switch to hps at preflower.

I can not think of a single thing I did differently for my current blackberry plants than last grow except that I did opt to change to the hps three weeks into the grow, and was using cfls. Pretty much still in veg. I can't say for sure, but could be why these current blackberries are half as tall as last time. The other possibility could be that the blackberries liked the cfls a lot more.. Just not sure...

I am running at 19/5

cannabeans

cannabeans

Question.... Are your seeds fem or regular?
This is a good a thread to jump in and ask.. It has been suggested that I start up my hps two weeks after the plants sprout. Then it has also been suggested to not change to hps until the plants have stopped their stretch.. Then yet again, some suggest to switch to hps at preflower.

I can not think of a single thing I did differently for my current blackberry plants than last grow except that I did opt to change to the hps three weeks into the grow, and was using cfls. Pretty much still in veg. I can't say for sure, but could be why these current blackberries are half as tall as last time. The other possibility could be that the blackberries liked the cfls a lot more.. Just not sure...

I am running at 19/5

str8smokn

str8smokn

I'm not sure , but any , and I mean any stress will delay them by almost Three weeks in size wise. I have Vertigo that was 3' last time and this time her shell got stuck and ended up topping herself at seedling stage. She is now about 1.5' tall and 1/2 way through grow. I'm not counting on her getting to much taller.
STR8

Panacea79

Panacea79

20/4 light schedule is best,gives you the down time..here's mine at 20/4 she reached 3 ft tallView attachment 510753
Nice plant!! Idk tho, I know that Autos will flower when they want to but I ALSO believe that the plant DOES need some down time...that's why, along with electricity costs, I usually do 20/4 till flower then go 18/6 and it's worked out fine so far for me..

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I agree completely with the 20/4 lighting schedule for autos, it's been a hell of a long time since I was growing them but, it always seemed that 20/4 was best.

Top Bottom