First Grow Sunset Sherbert And Superglue

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

Soil PH 6.5 after testing this morning. Soil moisture is about 6. I'm guessing it won't be ready for water until Saturday or Sunday but will continue checking daily. Here's some pics taken this morning, Day 14.

Day14
Day141
Day142
Day143
Day144
Day145
Day146
Day14Row1
Day14Row2
Phylex

Phylex

I've used ag gen soil before and its pretty hot. In fact, to be honest, it shouldnt need any nutrients at this point. Just RO.

I use rockwool in soil all the time, I have never observed a time when the soil drew water out of the rockwool, in fact I've observed quite the opposite. Did you remove the wrapper before planting? I assume so but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Regarding the clones, they look really leggy, usually this happens because of low light intensity.

If you got the clones from elemental or harborside they should come pre hardened and ready for hps, if purple lotus, I cant speak on what they do, dont know who supplies their clones.

Also, I might suggest heading to ag gen on the 17th, they are having the growing with ed rosenthal class that day and it has more expertise than 90% of the internet.

Lastly, my advice is let them dry out until the rockwool is bone dry, a couple days. Then resume watering with ro only, keep the light 12-16 inches from the canopy. If you come to the class, bring photos and notes.

CK
Thanks for the feedback on the Ag-Gen soil. It was beneficial to hear from someone that has experience using it since it's a local only product. The plastic was removed from the rock wool. The clones were leggy upon purchase. They haven't grown much in height. I've been battling these issues since day 1. They've just progressed and gotten worse. But I think they're finally improving. I'll need more time to be certain. I've also topped them once, and super cropped them twice.

The three that are giving me these issues are from Elemental. (Not a knock on Elemental, I like the place, but that's just how it is.) The other three are from Ca Collective. For the most part, those three are doing well. However one has been showing some deficiencies lately. I imagine once I get this original issue resolved and the watering/feeding/PH in check, that issue will resolve itself. I'm not too concerned about it.

I look forward to, and plan on moving the light slowly to the optimal range (12-16") once I get these issues resolved and some new healthy growth.

Thank you all for taking the time to read the thread and providing experienced feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
If the soil is too hot then next time mix it with coco coir. I use plagron premium but canna coco works well too. Cut it about 50/50 and add some extra perlite for better drainage. For seedlings I’d cut it even further 25/75 so you don’t burn them up.

captiankush

captiankush

The three that are giving me these issues are from Elemental. (Not a knock on Elemental, I like the place, but that's just how it is.) The other three are from Ca Collective.

That super glue cut is a good yielder, I ran one outdoor last year and even with the late june start time and a minor russet mite bout yielded almost a pound. It didnt stretch much and was very resistant to PM and pests in general. Good cut for our valley. CA clones are pretty good, i've run the super glue, super sour diesel, phantom cookies and blackjack.

CK

Phylex

Phylex

Quick update: Plants are looking much better and on the road to recovery. I believe it was a combination of overwatering and PH. I had to recalibrate my PH meter this morning because I found it to be off. (I'm certain that was one problem.) But more so, letting the soil dry out significantly more and seeing how the plant is responding leads me to believe overwatering was the biggest culprit.

Phylex

Phylex

Seems like they are doing well. I noticed your rh is very low sometimes, why is that? 15%-20% rh could also cause lots of problems.

The low RH just had to do with the current weather. However it’s climbed up over the last week with incoming rain. It slowly crept to 40’s and has been between 50-60% the last two days.

They’re slowly recovering. I had a lot of issues I had to work through. Lol. Hopefully it’s only up from here.

Phylex

Phylex

I also figured out the PH Meter I was using needed to be calibrated. I bet my earlier feedings, were not only too much and too often, but incorrectly PH’d. It wasn’t drastic, but enough to where it could have slightly thrown me out of range.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Personally I think you are running the pH too high for Emerald Harvest in soil. Also, your soil is likely feeding the plants enough at this point. I have been using Emerald Harvest for 3 seasons now, both soil and hydro, and I can tell you the pH for soil needs to be around 6.8 - however, that soil you are using should have everything those little plants need. I would put your nutes back on the shelf for a few weeks and save the money. Emerald Harvest is a great line imo. It's really geared more towards hydro, though. Also, are you using the soil version of Root Wizard, or the hydro version? There is a difference.

Phylex

Phylex

Personally I think you are running the pH too high for Emerald Harvest in soil. Also, your soil is likely feeding the plants enough at this point. I have been using Emerald Harvest for 3 seasons now, both soil and hydro, and I can tell you the pH for soil needs to be around 6.8 - however, that soil you are using should have everything those little plants need. I would put your nutes back on the shelf for a few weeks and save the money. Emerald Harvest is a great line imo. It's really geared more towards hydro, though. Also, are you using the soil version of Root Wizard, or the hydro version? There is a difference.

I did realize I was overzealous when feeding in the beginning. I've since stopped feeding and I'm allowing the soil to do the work for now. As far as PH, I've began keeping it between 6.5 and 6.8. I tested the nutrients in my soil yesterday and there's still a surplus of N and P. K is adequate.

I'm not aware of a soil specific root wizard. As far as I know, the Emerald Harvest line is good for hydro and soil.

Phylex

Phylex

I'm coming up on week four and I'm planning to veg the plants for six weeks. I'm even debating to go eight weeks if I don't get the growth I'm envisioning by the end of week six. It's all dependent on how the plants respond to the training.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I'm coming up on week four and I'm planning to veg the plants for six weeks. I'm even debating to go eight weeks if I don't get the growth I'm envisioning by the end of week six. It's all dependent on how the plants respond to the training.
Thats photoperiods for you :)
The rh thing is important tho. If you have this low rh problem where you live i suggest you get an humidifier. They are cheap and will help you and your plants immensely.
Also i’ll pass you another tip, 30 degrees temp diff is too much. Keep them warmer at night time.

Phylex

Phylex

Thats photoperiods for you :)
The rh thing is important tho. If you have this low rh problem where you live i suggest you get an humidifier. They are cheap and will help you and your plants immensely.
Also i’ll pass you another tip, 30 degrees temp diff is too much. Keep them warmer at night time.

I appreciate the feedback and advise. I did dial in the temps about 1.5 weeks ago by buying a digital thermostat for a reptile tank. I put a small space heater inside the tent and connected it to the thermostat. (That was actually my first adventure.) My temps have maintained 70.3-77.8 since then.

Phylex

Phylex

I’m hoping the weather and time of year cooperate moving forward. I tried raising the RH in the tent early on. First trying a bucket of water, and then moving to a damp towel. Nothing really raised the RH. My thoughts were the ventelation was just too damn efficient. My hydro store advisor said not to worry. It’s just the time of year. Moving forward if they start to get too low, I’ll most likely get a humidifier like you suggested. But I’m more concerned about having to buy a dehumidifier since the rainy season is among us. I hope the RH keeps itself in check and doesn’t get too high. But then again, I guess once I have to buy it, at least I’ll have it for future use.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’m hoping the weather and time of year cooperate moving forward. I tried raising the RH in the tent early on. First trying a bucket of water, and then moving to a damp towel. Nothing really raised the RH. My thoughts were the ventelation was just too damn efficient. My hydro store advisor said not to worry. It’s just the time of year. Moving forward if they start to get too low, I’ll most likely get a humidifier like you suggested. But I’m more concerned about having to buy a dehumidifier since the rainy season is among us. I hope the RH keeps itself in check and doesn’t get too high. But then again, I guess once I have to buy it, at least I’ll have it for future use.
I always grow at 70%+. Not using a dehumidifier mainly because of the electricity. Had no problems. Had tiny bits of pm some grows. Not usually.
Low rh makes the leaves taco and messes with the stomata functions, meaning slower growth and less flowers subsequently.
But 50s are ok. The manipulation of the rh is useful late in flowering when the buds have established and fattened up. At that point less water and lower rh will trigger resin production.
In veg, depending on your temps, it should be around 60-70 to get the most out of them.

Phylex

Phylex

I always grow at 70%+. Not using a dehumidifier mainly because of the electricity. Had no problems. Had tiny bits of pm some grows. Not usually.
Low rh makes the leaves taco and messes with the stomata functions, meaning slower growth and less flowers subsequently.
But 50s are ok. The manipulation of the rh is useful late in flowering when the buds have established and fattened up. At that point less water and lower rh will trigger resin production.
In veg, depending on your temps, it should be around 60-70 to get the most out of them.
That’s good to know. I’ve read 60-80% is ok for veg, but try to keep it 40-60% in flower. I’m just happy I don’t have the low RH values anymore. I didn’t like seeing it in the high teens or twenties. I’ve learned so much already from the mistakes I’ve already made, I’m already looking forward to the next grow knowing I can do so much better. I still have a ways to go and so much more to learn.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
That’s good to know. I’ve read 60-80% is ok for veg, but try to keep it 40-60% in flower. I’m just happy I don’t have the low RH values anymore. I didn’t like seeing it in the high teens or twenties. I’ve learned so much already from the mistakes I’ve already made, I’m already looking forward to the next grow knowing I can do so much better. I still have a ways to go and so much more to learn.

Depending on your temps
83F00E75 AD44 4189 8698 42619FCFC34D

Anyway its good to learn from your mistakes and making mistakes is the only thing that teaches us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom