First grow swc and dwc help me along

• Thread starter donedolla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

donedolla

Hey Guys, So i have 7 seedlings under a floro right now in 1 inch rockwool cubes which i will transplant into my SWC system i made. I plan on growing these just big enough to take clones and flower the clones to determine sex. From there i will take 2 females and put them into 5 gallon buckets to grow them bigger. What do you guys think of this idea. I will take pics of all my stuff and room later today.

I started out with hererissh's help in his bubble bucket forum and decided to start a grow log to get others input on my first attempt @ growin

D

donedolla

Here are some pics of my babies and the set up.

DAy 1 20% nutes and ph 5.8

IMG00002
IMG00003
IMG00005
G

Guano

Off to a nice start donedolla.Be sure & stay on top of things & I'm sure they will turn out great.:sun

D

donedolla

i just added the 400 w lamp but i will have to figure out a way to get the heat out right now i have to keep the closet open or the temp gets above 90f. I hope the transplant and light change doesnt stress the plants too much.

When do i have to change the water completely or can i just start toping off from now on?

Will get new pics later of the 400w mh set up

C

Cusick

i'll be in on this one.. done a few setups in dwc.

they look good, just keep those temps in check and make sure they're gettin fresh air.
as long as you are hitting the nutes right, and they are drinking at a steady rate, it'll work well enough to just top up for awhile. if you add too much or they aren't eating very consistently.. kinda hard to know where you're at without dumping the whole thing :)

easy does it.. just feel them out for awhile.

D

donedolla

cusick i don;t know if i am feding them the right amount i gave about 25% nutes when i added the wter. They didnt die overnight the temps stayed around 80% with the lthe closet door open. Im going to home hardware today to get some kind of airline fan SO I CAN KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED TONIGHT AND NOT BE BLINDED BY THE LIGHT. The water was filled to about an inch ABOVE the bottom of the pots.

i guess i know if they are feeding by the amount of water that gets used up?

the ph has risen to 6.6 today well be getting ph down today as well

Another night sleeping with the closet open, isnt gonna work. Man is that 400w bright copared to floros ive been using.

Should i be spraying the little guys to keep the leaves moist or not needed quite yet.

I will another pic up very shortly of the new light up there

C

Cusick

25% feed sounds fine.. and expect them to just hang out for a couple days until they establish a nice root system into the nute solution.. then you'll start to see them drink it up and explode with growth.

spraying/misting would depend on what your humidity is like. you don't want them to dry out, but as long as the roots are getting some water from below, the spraying shouldn't be necessary. Worst case, it could potentially result in light scorching from the HPS while they are so small yet, so unless they look really dry don't worry about messing with it.

don't worry too much about pH while they are this small either.. if anything just try to get a feeling for how your ferts affect your pH and EC. which are you going to be using.. tap/RO/mix.. for water throughout the grow?

low 80s are just fine for veg temps if you ask me.. but ya gotta get some sleep eventually, so go & get that fan worked out. maybe just a ~$30 6" duct booster would do the trick for your 400? won't work with a big scrubber attached, but it'll move the air if that's all ya need.
several years back, i had experiences both trying to sleep with HPS lights on, and conversely having a "dark bedroom" for 12 hours of the day where I had to manage crawling into bed every night in pitch black conditions.
can't bring a girl home either.. it's a lot less fun growin that way :D

D

donedolla

Ill probably be using mostly tap water but i let it sit out for 48 hours and ill have the ph down.

To start off i used spring water.

I really don't know much about airlines fans duct booster etc im looking into the duct booster now, i plan on making my own carbon scrubber from the DIY part but won't be doing that till next month. If the duct booster won't be able to support the carbon filter or won't work efficiently then ill have to get the airline fan.

I should add that even the seeds were started in the 1inch rockwool cubes the roots were not sticking out of the cube yet even when i planted them yesterday into the system. Will the rockwool be staying moist enough? I think it will be a few days untill the roots reach the bottom of the planter

C

Cusick

i plant seeds in shredded rockwool layered with hydroton, and i lightly spray the hydroton/rootzone pretty regularly during winter plantings. it can get pretty dry, especially under a bigger light in warm temps..

you just don't want to overdampen the rockwool & end up rotting your baby roots..

its really dependent on your environment, so thats something that you're best off determining on your own. take a bit of the hydroton out of one of the pots and see if the rockwool is totally dried out, if you're concerned.

D

donedolla

Here is some updated pics..... let me know what you think some of the cyclodones on the younger seedlings are turning yellow, you think its nute burn?

set up an exhaust fan so now i can keep the door closed totally and keep the temp at around 78-80f.

IMG 0063
IMG 0064
IMG 0066
T

TheNman

Is a scrubber just a fan with a carbon filter attached?

yes done, it is.

do you have a TDS meter?
i'd suggest getting one quick, as levels can swing unexpectedly, depending on temp, humidity, etc.

and on the whole topping off/ dumping the water problem, i'd suggest dumping and starting with a fresh rez at least once every 2 weeks, if not every week.
depending on what nutes you're using and the room environment, different levels of specific nutes can either be too high or low, while the ppm seems normal.

never forget: if you can see indications on the leaves of something wrong, the damage is already done!

good luck!
;d

T

TheNman

so do these look healthy to you guys?

they look good to me!
that yellowing could be anything.... even just a water droplet that directed your hps light and burned it.

just keep your nutes low enough and shit should work out.
;d

D

donedolla

TheNman i was looking into a tds meter any ideas of where to get online hopefully a canadian site.

D

donedolla

things arent looking so good today looks like the plants leafs some are starting to point downwards and one plant looks like its dying very dark green with the leaves pointing up i will put up pics soon.

D

donedolla

Can i switch from 24/0 to 18/6 without any effect on the plants. I would like to be able to save some energy as i don't really think it will make much difference in the yeild.

D

donedolla

whats the best way to completely light seal a closet i tried using duct tape but light still gets through the door at the bottom and sides.

also i know ive asked but id like more opinions on spraying the leaves as they look like they are saggin to me, might be because they are still young i dont know here is some new pics camera still aint great.

IMG 0075
IMG 0074
IMG 0073
IMG 0072
IMG 0071
IMG 0070
Top Bottom