First grow using Roots Organics Cocco Fiber Hydroponic Soilless Media

• Thread starter JOESTEEL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JOESTEEL

Hey there Fam. I am new to this literally just joinen yesterday. It seems like alot of people know what they are talkin about and thats what got me hooked.

Well Iam using Roots Organics coco soiless media
1 floro light fixtures with 2 bulbs each
1-400watt hps light hortilux hps bulb
Fox Farm Nutrients
SensiZymes(advanced Nutrients)

I have 9 seedlings 1 week old in Cups (clear) is clear a problem? they are under just the floro fixtures.(should i put he 400watt hps already or should i wait?

I have freinds who have grown succecfully in coco (the best i ever smoked was grwown in cocco so i told my self that when i did my own garden i would use cocco but i really dont know what iam doing.

I will p0st pics tommorrow.

If anyone has a similar set up like mine and have any advice i will greatly apreciate it. :help:

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Hi Joe. Real similar. Same coco. I'm using a passive wick system w/ 2 gal smartpots but pretty much prefer to hand water small amts everyday. I do 6ml/9ml GH Micro & Bloom thru veg & flower + CalMag & Hygrozyme. 3 plant scrog in a 3'x3' tent w/ 400w CMH + some floros. Starting 5th wk flower. All pics here. I started my grow journal somewhere else before I found the farm & it's too much work to keep up two journals.

The coco mix has got a lot of good stuff in it & will buffer very well. Recommend you pH@ 5.5. Run-off will come out MUCH higher, but the nice thing is - don't worry about it. Smart Pots or Air pots are great if you can run 'em. Easy on the nutes & lights at first. Floros are fine at 1st. Think I went to the 400 @ day 8 but I started w/ clones. Straight water or 1/4 str nutes is best when their babies. Not sure how fast you can ramp u to full strength. Others know better than I.

C

cacamal

Hey there Fam. I am new to this literally just joinen yesterday. It seems like alot of people know what they are talkin about and thats what got me hooked.

Well Iam using Roots Organics coco soiless media
1 floro light fixtures with 2 bulbs each
1-400watt hps light hortilux hps bulb
Fox Farm Nutrients
SensiZymes(advanced Nutrients)

I have 9 seedlings 1 week old in Cups (clear) is clear a problem? they are under just the floro fixtures.(should i put he 400watt hps already or should i wait?

I have freinds who have grown succecfully in coco (the best i ever smoked was grwown in cocco so i told my self that when i did my own garden i would use cocco but i really dont know what iam doing.

I will p0st pics tommorrow.

If anyone has a similar set up like mine and have any advice i will greatly apreciate it. :help:

I would look at size and not time to determine when you put them under the 400w. Some people veg the whole time under fls its up to you but if they are really small I would wait. The clear cups shouldnt be a problem unless you see a lot of root and especially if roots you see are discolored. Most people transplants before this but then Ive always used "keg" cups.Your grow sounds really cool im subscribed cant wait to see some pics!:harvest:

J

JOESTEEL

hey whats up fellas well my babies are lookin good. Thanks for the advice vader. I will post the pics a little later.

I already put them under the hps so we will have to see and wait how they like that light.

J

JOESTEEL

I dont know whats going on but it seems like they are growing really slow.
3 of the seedlings the leaves are turning yellow. With some spots

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

For seedlings, I'd go w/ straight water (no nutes), [email protected] & don't overwater. Holes in the cups are a good idea. I have no idea if this mix is too (nutient) "hot" for seed. I grew from rooted clones. g/l

J

JOESTEEL

yeah i definetly have holes in the bottom of the cups, but i have a feeling its going to be my ph,
Iam low on funds right ow and havent bought a digital ph tester so i have been using the drops in the water that change color but i gotta say it does not seem to very accurate.

From the research i have done it sounds like it might be locked cuz of bad ph. Iam thinking its been way to high cuz when i did test the run off water it was the color close to 7.5-8.0 and i was trying to dial in my water at anywhere between 6.0-6.5 but like i said hard to dial in without a digital tester. i feel like iam color blind trying to match the water to the strip!!! lol but as soon as i can i will get a good ph meter, iam assuming from readin on here that i would need a TDS meter as well. i hope my little seedling make it.

Thanks for the advice daRTH!! REALLY APRECIATE IT

J

JOESTEEL

but for now iam going to try an dial in my watering water at 5.5 maybe even 5.0 so it dont come out so high in the run off? does that make any sense?

i have been using distilled water from the store then i leave it open for 24 hrs and then i adjust with earth juice ph up and down (granules)

Lowman

Lowman

My advice would be to stop messing with the PH. Coco will have a tendency to straighten that out for you on it's own. Ph monitoring in Coco is overrated in my book.

Some yellowing of the young ones could be a Calcium issue. What kind of water are you using? eg: Tap, RO, well. Get yourself a TDS or EC meter first...and find out what you are actually feeding these babies. Then you are farther ahead than worrying about the PH.

J

JOESTEEL

Iam using distilled water from gallons bought at wal mart for now!!

Lowman

Lowman

I have read through the thread a little closer now....and I'm sure I get everything. You have been feeding FF nutes from the beginning? Hold off on the food till they are a couple of weeks old after breaking the surface. Then start feeding at 1/4 strength. Since you are using distilled water...(not a choice I would make based on experience with coco)...maybe start a regime of molasses to get that Mag and Calcium that is missing from regular water.

Keep that 400 watt light at least 18" for now. You could easily fry them. The floros are fine until they have a few set of nodes.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

JS, distilled water doesn't need to sit out, it's not chlorinated. Are they doing any better? Again, don't worry about the runoff pH, I think 5.8-6.0 (going in), no nutes, is fine for seedlings. I can pm you more later.

W

Work2much

I've found out I have the best results if I pre-check the PH of the coco before I out anything in it. I like to start out with the perfect PH, then the grow is usually trouble free.

I would flush with 5.8 PH distilled water until you're run-off is the same. I even pre-flush Canna coco and Bio-Bizz which both come out of the bag around 6.7 - 7.1 even though there considered top end coco comparable to your's.

Get the medium right ASAP, and you won't have to guess what the problem is.

J

JOESTEEL

Hey whats up fellas. I apreciate all the advice from everybody. Thank you!

Heres a little update. So this is what i did. I had a total of 9 seedlings but only 8 made it. I already had 2 bags of the roots organics soiless media so i filled 5 3 gallon bags with it, i went back to my local shop and they had no more in stock so i got this idea to try and do the other 3 in fox farm ocean forrest soil.

So thats what i did i translanted all the seedlings to the 3 gallon bags.

They actually look alot happier. I had water them with nothing but water at a ph of 6.0 and they started to look better.

I am really trying to learn as much as i can as i go on. So any help or hints you guys can drop will be very helpull and very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance to all you farmers!

T

treeburner

Hey whats up fellas. I apreciate all the advice from everybody. Thank you!

Heres a little update. So this is what i did. I had a total of 9 seedlings but only 8 made it. I already had 2 bags of the roots organics soiless media so i filled 5 3 gallon bags with it, i went back to my local shop and they had no more in stock so i got this idea to try and do the other 3 in fox farm ocean forrest soil.

So thats what i did i translanted all the seedlings to the 3 gallon bags.

They actually look alot happier. I had water them with nothing but water at a ph of 6.0 and they started to look better.

I am really trying to learn as much as i can as i go on. So any help or hints you guys can drop will be very helpull and very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance to all you farmers!

This does sound pretty good. Always good to hear of another grower having a good time with their plants.

:bong-hits:

Sometimes adding more water is all that you need to get things back on track.

I've found some good organic advice here, if you're interested in learning more:

Seems like some good advice here.

good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom