First Grow

• Thread starter green party
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

green party

My first grow.

I'm 14 days from seed into my first grow. It's been pretty smooth so far. I had what looked like a calcium deficiency (mainly in the WW) about a week in, but it looks like it has passed.

The plants are very short. There is hardly any internodal spacing. From what I've learned, this may be because of the strong blue spectrum from the LED. I had them under the CFLs for a few days but once the first real leaves were developed I started the LED at about 30". At that point they got darker and developed yellow blotches and brown spots that could be seen when shining light through the leaf. The first week I didn't use any nutes, just tap pH'd tap water. I figured that the relative hardness of the water would take care of any essential element needs. But that didn't seem to be the case. I started watering them with about 1/2 strength calmag at 6.2 pH and the new growth started to look very healthy. At this point I'm feeding with 1tsp A+B/gal. Even with the slight deficiency the growth didn't seem to slow down much. I'm at 14 days from seed and the WW is working on her 5th node.

As far as temp and humidity things haven't been ideal but they've been acceptable. Temp never goes higher than 82-84 F and is 75-80 F on average. RH is what has been bothering me. It's been stubbornly low averaging in the low 40s and has even been known to dip into the mid 30s. For seedling growth this isn't what you want. On a VPD chart this puts them into the "over-transpiration" zone. I've been researching how I should expect my plant to respond to this environment.

I'm thinking this may be why they've seemed a bit sensitive to the nutrient condition/pH but they've grown fast nonetheless so I don't really know. It's also possible the WW is getting root bound.

The roots are vigorous especially in the WW which is growing faster than the ZH. At this point they are obviously ready for transplant which I'm doing today. Roots are pouring out of the drainage slits growing underneath the solo cup.

Any tips? I think I've gotten the hang of how coco is supposed to be treated. At this point I water it a few times a day, overwatering seems really unlikely since the coco drains so well and dries quickly at 80 F and 40% RH. The root ball is already fairly solid and seems large in proportion to how short and stocky the plant is. I water with just ~1 tsp/gal calmag after every 2-3 waterings with nutes.

To-do:
-Get an EC meter
-Will probably get an actual grow tent for flower.
-Make compost tea, I want to try foliar feeding and in general want to create a more robust plant

I plan on updating this post a lot. Feel free to chime in and help me optimize my grow.

G

green party

Some pictures. Looks like some wrinkled growth near the stem on some of the leaves? Not sure what that would be.

20171014 104832
20171014 104618
20171014 104615
20171014 104009
20171014 103955
20171013 190202
20171013 190152
20171013 185735
20171013 185711
20171013 185658
20171013 185648
20171013 185636
20171013 185626
20171012 164321
20171012 164217
20171012 164156
20171012 164136
20171012 164122
20171012 013027
20171012 013024
Uckemfup

Uckemfup

My first grow.

I'm 14 days from seed into my first grow. It's been pretty smooth so far. I had what looked like a calcium deficiency (mainly in the WW) about a week in, but it looks like it has passed.

The plants are very short. There is hardly any internodal spacing. From what I've learned, this may be because of the strong blue spectrum from the LED. I had them under the CFLs for a few days but once the first real leaves were developed I started the LED at about 30". At that point they got darker and developed yellow blotches and brown spots that could be seen when shining light through the leaf. The first week I didn't use any nutes, just tap pH'd tap water. I figured that the relative hardness of the water would take care of any essential element needs. But that didn't seem to be the case. I started watering them with about 1/2 strength calmag at 6.2 pH and the new growth started to look very healthy. At this point I'm feeding with 1tsp A+B/gal. Even with the slight deficiency the growth didn't seem to slow down much. I'm at 14 days from seed and the WW is working on her 5th node.

As far as temp and humidity things haven't been ideal but they've been acceptable. Temp never goes higher than 82-84 F and is 75-80 F on average. RH is what has been bothering me. It's been stubbornly low averaging in the low 40s and has even been known to dip into the mid 30s. For seedling growth this isn't what you want. On a VPD chart this puts them into the "over-transpiration" zone. I've been researching how I should expect my plant to respond to this environment.

I'm thinking this may be why they've seemed a bit sensitive to the nutrient condition/pH but they've grown fast nonetheless so I don't really know. It's also possible the WW is getting root bound.

The roots are vigorous especially in the WW which is growing faster than the ZH. At this point they are obviously ready for transplant which I'm doing today. Roots are pouring out of the drainage slits growing underneath the solo cup.

Any tips? I think I've gotten the hang of how coco is supposed to be treated. At this point I water it a few times a day, overwatering seems really unlikely since the coco drains so well and dries quickly at 80 F and 40% RH. The root ball is already fairly solid and seems large in proportion to how short and stocky the plant is. I water with just ~1 tsp/gal calmag after every 2-3 waterings with nutes.

To-do:
-Get an EC meter
-Will probably get an actual grow tent for flower.
-Make compost tea, I want to try foliar feeding and in general want to create a more robust plant

I plan on updating this post a lot. Feel free to chime in and help me optimize my grow.

When did you switch from just calmag to nutes + calmag? I’m at Day 7 from sprouts and I’ve got what looks like a def? I’ve only beef feeding pHed well water at 32ppm at this point and my coco is uncharged...my plants don’t compare to the growth yours had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom