first harvest, should I trash it because of mold?

• Thread starter goosy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
goosy420

goosy420

hi friends, this is my first grow (outdoors, AK47) and I'm totally fine with screwing up if I can learn something from it.
I cut my plant for harvest when trichomes were just right but then I dried it in a cellar at around 60%+RH with ventilation coming from outside all the time. The buds were moving very slightly.

because i didn't have a hygrometer yet (my mistake, won't make that again next season) I didn't know if my dry was going well or not

anyway, after reading a lot about possible problems and powdery / gray mold or other mildew issues I became paranoid and started seeing mold everywhere ;)

so I was hoping if there are any experts around here with lots of experience detecting bad bud or mold on buds based on my pictures below. If it helps I can always take more pictures.

i don't mind throwing my first grow into the compost heap if it's mold, rather than smoking trash
thanks for helping out and helping me grow my knowledge, it's been fun so far !

First harvest should i trash it because of mold
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 2
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 3
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 4
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 5
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 6
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 7
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 8
First harvest should i trash it because of mold 9
goosy420

goosy420

hi friends, how do you recognize the mold in the pictures? Can you tell me what signs to look for more clearly?

Coltivtor

Coltivtor

What growing on family! Proper IPM(implemented pest management) sprays will take care of this issue on your next harvest/run. There are tons of options for you to prevent this from happening again, happy farming!

goosy420

goosy420

There are tons of options for you to prevent this from happening again

how would you diagnose the problem you're seeing in these pictures? can you tell me how to detect this problem? Is it mildew or something? Some say there's nothing wrong with the plant based on the pictures. I'm trying to learn how to diagnose what's in it so any help is appreciated

BigCube

BigCube

how would you diagnose the problem you're seeing in these pictures? can you tell me how to detect this problem? Is it mildew or something? Some say there's nothing wrong with the plant based on the pictures. I'm trying to learn how to diagnose what's in it so any help is appreciated

Experience. In these photos you can actually see the mold without magnification. With magnification it's even easier. Tricombes have a crystalline structure, and mold look like a bunch of little fibers, or loose felt.

If there is any mold you can see, there's a lot more that you cant see. So even if you think you got it all, you didn't. Spores are all over that bud. I wouldn't smoke it, maybe you could use it for some kind of body lotion or therapeutic solution, but I wouldn't. Mold is mold. It doesnt belong in or on your body. Trashcan it.

Madmax

Madmax

Mold = budrot .like bigcube said can easily b seen without magnification.goes to shit just like rotten fruit.bud just falls apart.dry it and give it to someone you really hate 😃..

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Here’s mold;
A9966FD4 1204 4594 8AA7 EC520B7B66CA

Tear the bud open from the center and you will see the extent of the damage.
Typically when I have mold issues ID it begins during weeks 6-8 and is caught when a bud dies on the vine.
It always starts from the inside out so you do not no the extent of the damage.
Temp and humidity are your friend or your enemy during growth and drying.
Rule of thumb 55% humidity at 72-80f growth.
55% humidity at 68-72 drying.
I find at that temp and humidity it jump starts the curing process also:)

goosy420

goosy420

Thanks for the advice all!

I opened up all buds from the center, they all feel dry even on the inside and there is no visual trace of mold in them, but you're probably right that it is still there just not visible

in order for me to learn, would it be possible to tell me in what picture you can see the mold most clearly?

Madmax

Madmax

Narsty shit.got me couple years back..got rain a good week before harvest dammit.luckily was only on one plant .

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
All is not lost, get 200 proof ethyl alcohol.
Soak buds, remove, alcohol will evaporate completely. Kills all mold bacteria.
I would highly recommend to not smoke the flower.
Now you can safely use for hash, oils, tinctures or the like.
Remember 200 proof is extremely flammable, use with extra care.
37071320 3308 4705 88F8 536C773D8384

goosy420

goosy420

Surface mold caused from high temp or humidity or both during drying process.

that's probably it. will compare with another grow dried properly this time

thanks everyone for the advice, i appreciate it !

Top Bottom