First indoor grow that seems to be working

• Thread starter KYSEAN
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KYSEAN

KYSEAN

This White Widow plant is 5 weeks above soil. My first indoor grow that seems to be doing ok. yesterday was the plants first feeding after transplanting into 5 gal. fabric container. Soil is FFO and perlite 75/25 and first feeding was FF Grow Big. This grow is just in a spare room with cheap LED panel light that is about 148 watts (says 1000 watts) and a 5000k 150W spot light. So far the hardest part was learning how to properly water from the start. A lot of trial and error for me. I'm sure I have a lot more to learn. Outdoor growing seemed easier to me. Any input is appreciated so I can continue to learn.

First indoor grow that seems to be working
First indoor grow that seems to be working 2
First indoor grow that seems to be working 3
JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Looks good. A plant that size, I would have just come outta the solos cup and i to a one gallon pot, for a few weeks then I would up again to the five. Reason being its harder to water correctly when you have a small plant in a big pot. Be careful not to over water, and saturate the whole pot, not just around the plant. Soil levels a little low, but you can remedy that later with fresh soil and a top dressing. Off to great start, good luck!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

This White Widow plant is 5 weeks above soil. My first indoor grow that seems to be doing ok. yesterday was the plants first feeding after transplanting into 5 gal. fabric container. Soil is FFO and perlite 75/25 and first feeding was FF Grow Big. This grow is just in a spare room with cheap LED panel light that is about 148 watts (says 1000 watts) and a 5000k 150W spot light. So far the hardest part was learning how to properly water from the start. A lot of trial and error for me. I'm sure I have a lot more to learn. Outdoor growing seemed easier to me. Any input is appreciated so I can continue to learn.
How long ago did you transplant? And from what size pot?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Looking good so far.

It looks like you're only watering around the plant, and not the edges of the pot. That's not good, but go and sin no more and your plant won't suffer.

Roots grow towards moisture. They will not grow toward dry soil -- they will completely ignore the dry soil near the outside of your pot. The way to water is to get all the soil wet, let the pot drain, then don't water again until the pot feels light and you don't feel moisture when you stick your finger in there about an inch.

The issue with most non-houseplant plants (and cannabis is not a houseplant, even when it's in your house) is that their roots need plenty of oxygen as well as water. In soil, water and oxygen share the same space -- the "empty space" or pores between soil particles. When they're filled with water, the roots could have difficulty getting oxygen.

This is not a problem in the short term. After you water and the soil is wet, the roots can do without a lot of oxygen for a couple of days or so. As the soil dries, plenty of oxygen will get to the roots. It IS a problem if a grower keeps the soil moist by watering every two or three days. Then you'll see over watering symptoms on lower leaves.

See this thread for more detail: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Your plant looks good. I'm thinking of growing White Widow next time.

KYSEAN

KYSEAN

Looking good so far.

It looks like you're only watering around the plant, and not the edges of the pot. That's not good, but go and sin no more and your plant won't suffer.

Roots grow towards moisture. They will not grow toward dry soil -- they will completely ignore the dry soil near the outside of your pot. The way to water is to get all the soil wet, let the pot drain, then don't water again until the pot feels light and you don't feel moisture when you stick your finger in there about an inch.

The issue with most non-houseplant plants (and cannabis is not a houseplant, even when it's in your house) is that their roots need plenty of oxygen as well as water. In soil, water and oxygen share the same space -- the "empty space" or pores between soil particles. When they're filled with water, the roots could have difficulty getting oxygen.

This is not a problem in the short term. After you water and the soil is wet, the roots can do without a lot of oxygen for a couple of days or so. As the soil dries, plenty of oxygen will get to the roots. It IS a problem if a grower keeps the soil moist by watering every two or three days. Then you'll see over watering symptoms on lower leaves.

See this thread for more detail: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/
I've watered 4 times in about 2 weeks each time widening the circle of water and more each time. I think next water will be just plain water and cover all the area. My plan was to now start giving feeding every other watering. My FF grow big mix is about 50% as much as they recommend right now.

T

TinFoilHat

If you just transplanted into a 5 gallon container of FFOF, you do not need any nutrients for a few weeks. Also, like said above, wet the whole medium and just leave it alone until it's much lighter.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

you can actually see when the plant has used up the FFOF nutes and is asking for more (bottom leaves slightly yellowing) this is similar to underwatering so do make sure to water the soil, all of it not just around plant

Top Bottom