First LST - Tying Down Autoflowers? Too late?

• Thread starter William007
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

William007

Just wanted to be sure I am not doing anything drastically wrong here...

I know I am probably a bit late attempting to do this and should have started earlier but I think increasing the light to the most buds possible is always beneficial.

Anyhow I have a couple plants that were growing up more than out so I started with them and then one more that was still just showing signs of flowers. The other 2 I am going to let grow natural for comparison sake when all is said and done.

Anyhow let me know if there are any tips. I don't want to get into tying down every stem but just wanted to open up the underside for.more light this go around and try to have minimal stress on the plants.

Next time I will start a little earlier and probably do a bit more, but for now I think the single bend will be all.

Thoughts?

W

William007

IMG 20190726 081530
IMG 20190726 081526
IMG 20190726 081536

Thedude4200

Thedude4200

Looks good man. I usually start LST a little sooner and bend her first at the bottom with and anchor and then the top. But it looks good man. Now u can start to take her around the pot in a circle or whatever u see fit. Ur definitely on the right path I think. Best of luck!!

BloodShot

BloodShot

Looks good.
When I lst and hst I always try to keep the top of the plant below or equal in height to every other branch growing below it "out of height restrictions :ninja:"
Sometimes I may end up pinching and bending the top down as well as all the developing smaller branches in time, also bending and causing a knuckle to form which I believe builds stronger branches and helps me manage an otherwise unmanageable branch direction. I like to roll the branches and twist them between my fingers as they grow because I feel this helps increase branch strength all the while training as many as I can to grow in the direction I want or need them to grow.
I don't use a net or tie anything down, but may next time to see how that goes.

I also lst and hst as a way to try and "slow plant growth down" when there are several strains and plant height differs at times. I find breaking or bending one branch causes the opposite to grow faster etc. last time I was just focusing on filling the canopy space I had to work with and in the end I have too many tops or not enough space to pull them down as much as I would like, outside you won't have that problem.
I also like to use heavy fishing weights with metal hooks attached to weigh the stubborn branches and tops down.
Plant growth from doing all of this may slow to some extent but it helps me make what I need or want.
Hope you get a big bush:)
Just keep at it because hands on is the only way to learn.
I have also never lst an autoflower , only regular seeds.
I was told that autos don't respond well to stress and that they should be planted in their finishing container and I hear others and have watched videos of some people that lst, pot up etc and have great success.

Last edited:
Mattyice

Mattyice

For me I usually top my plant after the 6-8set of leave. Then after another couple weeks I’ll start my tie down method. I have a plant with over 50 tops and now my girls are going into flower and let me tell ya there looking good. Her are some pictures. They have been flowering now for 10days

F381409F C5A3 40F6 908C B05ED4DC4338
6F65D651 54D4 4E09 9CC1 B0680723E828
BAE0C66A A664 4743 8434 4BBCDEC5BB82
D02F85A1 2334 4983 AFC9 813E8407EF08
3AACD5AA 2B30 46A6 A0A1 2A7D26C2AF2F
735D4C67 B41B 4C23 A354 BB1190491114
3F45222A 659F 45DA 8B7D B4EA6EB386E4
2541128A E09C 4F2A 9C0A 3E00E4F98935
74F152CF 627D 4B13 BF38 6DD8A05BDBAF
3DBA64D3 4CA9 4EAC A522 96577E0BE389
FBEB4CD9 E235 48C4 AC75 01C7D92783BE
W

William007

That looks great @Mattyice !

My girls are coming along... Getting some growth on those flowers now, and I am starting to think about some kind of bud growth/weight additives. Thoughts?

I will definitely do a little more LST from the get go next time around, but I think I did benefit from bending them over like I did. Regardless they look good and a couple are just starting to get frosty!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

It looks good, but why grow autoflowers out of doors? I grow autoflowers indoors beacuse cultivation is illegal, autoflowers tend to smell less generally and if you run them on an assembly line you will allways have weed, but out of doors no way, your yield is small enough outdoor yields are much smaller, if I could set up like you I shure would not waste dirt on autoflowers.

W

William007

It looks good, but why grow autoflowers out of doors? I grow autoflowers indoors beacuse cultivation is illegal, autoflowers tend to smell less generally and if you run them on an assembly line you will allways have weed, but out of doors no way, your yield is small enough outdoor yields are much smaller, if I could set up like you I shure would not waste dirt on autoflowers.

Just wanted something easy for a first grow and given the July 1st start I figured the time would be perfect to harvest them before October when most photos will be ready.

I didn't want to contend with the potential for crappy weather and complications in the fall and I am hoping that works out. There can be alot of rain and it can get pretty cold at times so mold and bud rot scared me.

This is also a test run leading up to an indoor tent grow which will be smaller so I will likely grow 2-4 autos in a perpetual harvest type setup. I will probably buy the tent to dry my buds in and start a couple seedlings during that time as well.

All that said, assuming my grow goes well indoors this fall/winter there will be some photo seedlings ready for June next year, and I will get some bigger pots! ;)

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Friend I understand all that, but in my opinion autoflowers are harder to grow than a photoperiod, there tricky and bitchy and simple to burn, there time oriented so if something goes wrong you have little time to fix, there low yield and most of my problems are from bunk seeds, next year start early and grow some nice big photoperiod plants, I understand you started late, I have been growing out of doors for years autoflowers for 8, givein a choice I would grow fast version photoperiod plants, here is what I have going now, 1 dark devel auto, and 1 unknown autoflower, I turned the ac off for 6 hours spots, the other one did not want to grow any branches till the 5th node and I have been growing them constantly there tricky, yours look good .

20190802 195018
1565008228538 618575081
W

William007

Having gone through all that I have with this grow I wouldn't say it was too difficult but yes you have to be very careful. Def no time for any major mistakes but I didn't jump into this blindly. I had the option to buy some unknown origin clones early on and chose to try starting from seed indoors to know exactly what I was getting.

Another issue I face is how much daylight I can get and most days I end up moving my plants across my yard for the mid-day sun if I can. Smaller plants and smaller pots made sense in that regard.

I think I would agree at the end of it all that the photos are going to be much more forgiving and will def yield more buds but this was an educational experiment more than anything and with my main goal being a small indoor tent Autos are going to be my choice for the bulk of my growing.

Like I said my outdoor grow next year will be a couple big photos but I hope to have a progressive grow setup with 3 plants soon after harvest this fall.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have been growing autos constantly for 8 years, there not so much harder as different, you run them different, and most being hybrids are not hardy enough to grow outdoors, they lie about yield, with autoflowers your yield is a lot smaller and they say it's even less outdoors, but they look good and if your learning that's great.

Shotyoung

Shotyoung

I plan on growing an auto next season so I look forward to how you do with these pretty ladies W007. Thanx and keep up the great posts.

W

William007

I plan on growing an auto next season so I look forward to how you do with these pretty ladies W007. Thanx and keep up the great posts.

Haven't been updating... Sorry.

Had one plant almost died from being overwatered but recovered and is producing some decent looking bud. Actually a little more solid bud compared to some of the busiest colas on the other plants.

Also have one plant with some crappy super stretched out airy buds. I will likely chop it first and play with drying etc for an experiment. Will make some great brownies or hash so no big deal.

The other 3 look good with what looks to be some late nutrient deficiencies but I'm just feeding straight water from here on in...

IMG 20190825 175449
IMG 20190825 180126
IMG 20190825 175443
IMG 20190825 180151

basscaptain

basscaptain

Just wanted something easy for a first grow and given the July 1st start I figured the time would be perfect to harvest them before October when most photos will be ready.

I didn't want to contend with the potential for crappy weather and complications in the fall and I am hoping that works out. There can be alot of rain and it can get pretty cold at times so mold and bud rot scared me.

This is also a test run leading up to an indoor tent grow which will be smaller so I will likely grow 2-4 autos in a perpetual harvest type setup. I will probably buy the tent to dry my buds in and start a couple seedlings during that time as well.

All that said, assuming my grow goes well indoors this fall/winter there will be some photo seedlings ready for June next year, and I will get some bigger pots! ;)
keep doing what your doing you have a plan

Top Bottom