First "PhotoPeriod" Grow/Not a big deal, but. . .

• Thread starter GooberfrupstateNY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

I've had a number of autogrows under my belt and I'm feeling more confident with each grow, so this summer, I'm trying my first photoperiod grow. I made a mistake off the bat that I vowed never to do again, and that is growing 4 different plants in my tent. That being said, all 4 plants are doing wonderfully 2 & 1/2 months into the grow. My only questions are the following: one particular plant (a "Haze" variety) though advertised as a medium-size plant (and it is if going only by height) has tremendous leaves and is becoming bushier as time goes on and is taking up more space proportionally than the others - even the branches are significantly thicker than the other 3 and are as thick as the main stalk of the others as well. So, I'm wondering, would it be okay to remove some of the larger/lower fan leaves to provide more room, and for it "breathe" and get light better for it and the other 3 plants? Is it too early for that? Also, can I prune it twice or more times (if necessary) before flipping. Note: in the image, the plant is 24" exactly and is in a 5-gallon fabric pot.

First photoperiod grownot a big deal but
Rawkn

Rawkn

Hello. There's probably multiple thoughts on this, but I can't imagine taking a few leaves off will harm anything. Many people, including myself will take off any yellowing leaves, especially the lower ones. I also know some people, including myself will sometimes remove healthy leaves if they are blocking good bud sites from getting light, or just to get more air flow, especially if it's humid, been rainy, or there isn't a lot of wind/air flow. You could probably remove half the leaves without doing much damage to the plant. I would never suggest you do that, just saying you probably could. I think it's more up to you. If you think it'd look better, or help the plant, or make space go for it. The plant I see looks plenty healthy. Pruning/trimming is optional, but a good thing if done right. Nothing is certain in life, but I think there is extremely little chance you will hurt anything by removing 10% or less of the leaves. Just my 2 cents. Happy growing!

GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

Thanks for taking the time. I have a friend - a kinda mentor of sorts - that I try not to bug with questions like this because I'm kind of the nervous Nellie type and try only to bother him when it's something that I just can't figure out on my own or I'm faced with a matter that's "on the clock," so to speak. . .like when I was getting close to harvest last fall and discovered bananas, lol. Anyway, I sent him a text earlier today and you confirmed just what he said, so I thank you.

growsince79

growsince79

I've had a number of autogrows under my belt and I'm feeling more confident with each grow, so this summer, I'm trying my first photoperiod grow. I made a mistake off the bat that I vowed never to do again, and that is growing 4 different plants in my tent. That being said, all 4 plants are doing wonderfully 2 & 1/2 months into the grow. My only questions are the following: one particular plant (a "Haze" variety) though advertised as a medium-size plant (and it is if going only by height) has tremendous leaves and is becoming bushier as time goes on and is taking up more space proportionally than the others - even the branches are significantly thicker than the other 3 and are as thick as the main stalk of the others as well. So, I'm wondering, would it be okay to remove some of the larger/lower fan leaves to provide more room, and for it "breathe" and get light better for it and the other 3 plants? Is it too early for that? Also, can I prune it twice or more times (if necessary) before flipping. Note: in the image, the plant is 24" exactly and is in a 5-gallon fabric pot.
I would cut everything below 6-8 inches off.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Your not going to like this but start at the bottom of the plant. Top it 1/2 inch above the 2n'd node on all of the main stalks. Give it a week to get over that and remove all leaves on the stalks bellow the topped nodes. Everything gone! It will grow nice new branches. tie them down to the pot. Do it again to all of them in 15 days. Let it grow again. Leave any sub branches on and top every stalk again. Remove everything 2/3 of the way up each stalk and each sub stalk. Switch the time to 12 and 12 watch the magic happen. Try and keep the canopy height fairly even. Growing under lights you just do not have the light penetration for a tall plant like this. That's why the big leaves. Put a pot or bucket under it upside down and get it closer to the light after topping it as directed. Each and every stalk , sub stalk and sub sub stalk will grow a nice sugary bud for you. Be prepared it's going to need all the light you can give it and take up the entire grow tent in 30 days so be prepared to veg the rest of your plants some place else until it is finished budding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom