First Proper Grow, Advice.

• Thread starter 802grows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

802grows

Hows it going everyone?

This will be my first indoor grow and I want to go about it the right way. I've dabbled in some outdoor stuff previously which turned out alright, but I was definitely "winging it".

My buddy has 4-6 clones for me, so I figured I should drop some cash and set up an indoor grow. I've got an extra room with ample space to put up a tent.

But I've run into a multitude of questions, I feel like as I researched and asked friends for advice and what they do, I got more questions with less being answered hahah.

Originally I was going to get some HPS lights and do it that way, but then thought should I spend a few more bucks up front and get LEDs?

I was thinking a 3x3x6.5 tent would be a good size for my first time, but getting gifted a good 4-6 clones is that enough room?

I have been around Marijuana my whole life and help buddies trim, and have been around some grows but I don't have a whole bunch of growing knowledge to speak of.

I want to keep my electricity bill somewhat down, that's really my only concern. I live on a super quiet road and have no one else in the house, so smell and whatnot are not a concern. A

Hopefully, this isn't way to basic and open-ended of a question, just know there are tons of avenues to begin.

Thanks

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Welcome to the farm. There are several ways you could go. Many growers still swear by HPS lighting, or the newer ceramic type lamps. I can only tell you what I would do. I have 14 years experience indoors, and have used MH, GPS, and now Led's. Mine come from dormgrow.com, and are G8 Led's. I just harvested 8 plants from a 4'x4'x84" tall tent, the size I would recommend for your possible 6 clones. I run 2 of their 600w lamps, which actually draw 380watts power each. But, if I had to start over, I'd buy their 1k lamp for that size tent, and use less electric overall. I am using 5 or 7 gallon smart pots. I have 2 inline 6" vortex fans, each operating on an individual variac controller. (Zero motor noise) One fans ducting intake is near a HP outlet, which uses cool air in season, or warm air in season, for fresh air intake. The other fan isn't quite as efficient as it's pulling air, the exhaust out of the top of the tent, then down thru a hole in the floor into the crawlspace. It goes thru a carbon scrubber under there. I have neighbors to close for comfort. That's my setup. I use Foxfarms Ocean Forest soil, and Advanced Nutrients ph perfect base trio of Grow, Micro, and Bloom. I have well water. I use filtered rain water only to mist the plants with, and if I get any insects or gnats, I use a product you add to water that the plants take in which is harmless and organic, it's just herbs.

I got a smaller tent the first time and was sorry I did. I'd have a bigger one now if I had the space.
:cool:

802grows

10-4. Damn didn't realize people were dropping so much cash solely on lights. Completly makes sense, just I didn't realize the cost of good LED's.
Rural farmer- So you are running two of these https://www.dormgrow.com/products/600-watt-led-grow-light/ ?

And sweet I would probably do some sort of carbon scrubber still. I was about to ask about soil, and I was going to ask about Foxfarm ocean forest. So looks like you beat me to that one.

My boy already cut the clones and stuff, just waiting for me to get my set up. Might be investing bit more than I thought ;)

802grows

Are the Mars Hydro lights any good ? Or cheap crappy lights ?

Deffintly want to have a good set up, but don’t want to be spending too much cash. Unless my yield is more than i’m expecting .

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

Mars hydro is a decent budget light but crappy compared to the more expensive ones . Some people can get by with cheaper lights some cannot. With 6 plant you'll need a good light.

802grows

Mars hydro is a decent budget light but crappy compared to the more expensive ones . Some people can get by with cheaper lights some cannot. With 6 plant you'll need a good light.
I’ve seen some lists and stuff of LED lights, which lights could you guys recommend that were in like the 3-5 range ??

Initially I was planning on spending like 500 , but realizing that may not be enough

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

Just look up some diy cob kits. Many different brands can't go wrong with cree but I've heard good things about some others as well.

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

Ah vero is the other brand I was thinking of. I'd also aim for 1k watts if possible

Last edited:

802grows

Okay I will check into those.

Also saw some Timber grow lights seemed to be kind of cheap.

If i had 6 clones, a 3x3x6.5 would be big enough for veg and flower ?

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

Would be a little tight but you could probaly make it work . Going to need at least 450watts of light , And an exhaust system , plus some sort of intake .

802grows

My bad,

The one i have been looking at is a 4x4.

still need around 450 watts?

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

I say 450-600 with a good light check out rapid leds diy section

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

I learned the hard way, you get what you pay for with Led's. That is why many growers still use Hps, they got burned on cheap leds. They are, in the long run, going to save you a ton of money on electric. Thus the initial investment. Lights are your single most important investment in the whole process. I'm sure you can "get by" with spending 500, but your plants simply won't produce compared to running quality lamps. G8 Led's, you can find lots of info on, plus those same lamps are also stocked and shipped by Amazon. Goggle best led grow lights 2018 and go thru the lists and compare, you can probably find some that by now performs as well as mine for less. I initially had 1 600w lamp in there, and growth was slower. When I doubled the light, it made a big difference. You can get by a lot better with cheaper everything else, except lights..... Remember you're attempting to replicate the power of being outside. Good luck with what you decide. :cool:

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

IMG 0913a
Just harvested these last Monday, estimate the yield to be 15-17 oz's.
:cool:

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im a noob but have done a fair bit of research if you are going LED from everything I have found Quantum boards are the way to go but others could probably verify this or discount it. Don't rely on some noob for advice.

802grows

Okay, cool thanks, guys.

I understand d100% that you get what you pay for when it comes to lights, and lights are pretty damn crucial to the growing process.

I def have the cash to get a nice setup, just a matter of if I want to have little cash for a while..

Also was thinking if I were to get like a veg only like then in a few weeks get a bloom light?

I was looking at a Platinum P600 which are around 650, which is still a bit of a stretch for me considering I still need a tent and fans and exhausts.

I've also looked at the GoGrow V3 Master Grower LED, Morsen 2400w LED, California Lightworks SolarSystem 550(a bit of stretch $$ wise), Bestva Dc series 2000W or TImber Grow Lights Model 4vl?

I Think I am going to get an Agro Max 4x4, with grow bright 4inch inline fan and carbon filter combo( Do I get two of these, one as exhaust on as bring in fresh air?) two little air circulation fans. Depending on which lights will determine the timer I get. Then I live across from a store where I will get all my soil, humidity controls, and whatnot. Then 4-6 clones will be at my spot midweek.

Just have got to figure out which light set up to get. Also thinking if I got a just veg light(if it maybe was cheaper than a full spectrum, but better quality) I could have a full veg and flower tent, if I were to get another tent and another light... but just thinking.. ANy of those lights I mentioned people should really avoid?? I have heard many great things about the G8s just would have to make some plays if I wanted to top shelf set up;)

RuralFarmer

RuralFarmer

Since I own and have 5 grows experience with these G8's, I can look and do some comparisons for you with the lamps you named. The only one you listed that I know about, is the California Lightworks lamp. I bought one of those, but found out I was buying a name. My G8's were not known or popular yet when I got mine, but, I paid near what they cost now. They have the proper spectrum needed figured out well. The California lamp simply didn't compare. Have you looked at the Lumigrow lamps? I think they make a 325w, and it has switches to adjust spectrums, grow/Flower.
Give me a day, I'll try and recommend one of your named lamps.:cool:

802grows

Damn, that’s unfortunate to hear that about the California Light Works. But Okay sounds good. And i haven’t heard about Lumigrows before but they look intriguing.

Can i get per say two sets of leds that in total would equal around 5-600 watts, or would two sets of lights not fit in a 4x4 tent? Or that’s just a silly idea, two good smaller lights won’t be cheaper than one good 5-600 watt,..

Top Bottom