First swing at a real grow

• Thread starter thebranchman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thebranchman

I know nothing about hydro, and Im not good at diagnosis so i cant help there
I summarized up that post pretty well for ya, thanks.
Its basic knowledge, when a deficiency shows up you should raise your light and lower the intensity to help with the recovery of the plant.
I've already done both, ive said that multiple times.
I already explained to you that light is the main driver of plant metabolism, when you increase the light intensity, nutrition needs to be on point or deficiencies show up.

You completely ignored that
Yes I did. This goes without saying, I didn't think it needed to be addressed.
So you prolly wouldnt listen even if someome did tell you word for word what was wrong. Idk what else to tell you.
Im not good ad diagnosis so i cant help there but the first thing you need to do is change to 20/4 or 18/6 and let that plant recover!!

Either way this isnt going anywhere until you change light hours and lower intensity
I'm definitely not gunna take word for word advice on my rdwc from a soil grower, thanks. As far as the plant isn't going anywhere without changing the light hours? Yeah I'll have to just straight up disagree with you on that. I think it'll do just fine. They drink a ton of water, the new growth is there every day, they're 3/4 through their life span on 24/7 so I'm gunna leave it like that.

T

thebranchman

Cool. Just saw the pile of confusion.

I didn’t think you were asking for help, just asking a question. But the posts started taking a bad turn.

Others here do that, including me. I like to try things like using 6/2 light cycle. The pic I posted was one of my first tent grows. It went so dark it was black. Never seen a plant that purple. Some of the leaves still have the reddish yellow colour.

Most of these things are deficiencies of course. I was reading that light stress isn’t really what most of us think it is. When things are dialed in you should be able to turn it up without stressing.

I’m hoping to get back to that myself. Best of luck.
Thank you I appreciate it, what do you mean a 6/2 light cycle, like 6 hours on and 2 off? For a total of 8 hours?

TSD

TSD

Yeah people keep saying deficiency without telling me what element or groups so I don't think I'm deficient in anything at the moment, the rest of my plant looks healthy besides the discoloration on that single leaf. Running masterblend 0-12-24 and cal nit at a 4:1 ratio, was using it at a 3:1 until three days ago. This plant is just about 60 days old.
But it's not a single leaf, the whole top of the plant is clearly showing signs of light stress. Leaves can also purple due to various deficiencies and stress, not just from cold.
Screenshot 20230504 164739 Chrome

You're set on not changing your light, though your plant s basically begging you to do so... even en raised to 21in, that's still close and not going to benefit recovery... I wish you good luck.

T

thebranchman

But it's not a single leaf, the whole top of the plant is clearly showing signs of light stress. Leaves can also purple due to various deficiencies and stress, not just from cold. View attachment 1976403
You're set on not changing your light, though your plant s basically begging you to do so... even en raised to 21in, that's still close and not going to benefit recovery... I wish you good luck.
I've already addressed the light burn separately several times, pretty lackluster information from "nuggmd" as well. There is only one leaf on the plant with that pigmentation. That's what I'm wondering about, not the light burn. I started the thread off, by saying it burnt. And, also, yet again, for another time, I did lower the intensity to about 80% last week. The lights went up 5 inches. That is change in light intensity. The plant is already showing signs of recovering and its had new growth still even while it was burning. There is one singular leaf showing that coloration and that is my subject of this post. Not to go back and forth with soil growers about their opinion on my top growth.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Thank you I appreciate it, what do you mean a 6/2 light cycle, like 6 hours on and 2 off? For a total of 8 hours?
Flower is the same 12/12 but Veg is 6/2x3=18/6

Others have done different combinations with mixed success. @Observationist has tried many variations.

I stick with 6/2 as it gives me more time to work on them between dark periods. And I see results faster.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

That's funny I've never heard of that before, If I had the space I'd love to do a 24/7 maybe a 20/4 and a 6/2 next to eachother
I have not tried 6/2, but I understand it works. I'm fine with 18/6, if for no other reason than it fits my schedule well.

And, also, yet again, for another time, I did lower the intensity to about 80% last week. The lights went up 5 inches. That is change in light intensity. The plant is already showing signs of recovering and its had new growth still even while it was burning. There is one singular leaf showing that coloration and that is my subject of this post.
So... Reducing light intensity helped. That's a clue. I ran into light-related problems during flower of my last grow. One nutrient that I believe is involved is magnesium, particularly with LED lights. This is a topic I'm exploring for my next flip to flower, which will be soon.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I summarized up that post pretty well for ya, thanks.

I've already done both, ive said that multiple times.

Yes I did. This goes without saying, I didn't think it needed to be addressed.

I'm definitely not gunna take word for word advice on my rdwc from a soil grower, thanks. As far as the plant isn't going anywhere without changing the light hours? Yeah I'll have to just straight up disagree with you on that. I think it'll do just fine. They drink a ton of water, the new growth is there every day, they're 3/4 through their life span on 24/7 so I'm gunna leave it like that.
Sounds like you've got it all under control.
Im the fk outta here, this is a pointless thread.

Eledin

Eledin

Not a good mix use one or the other
I just wanted to try it honestly since I never saw anyone do it (I guess thats why). I just dont wanna quit peat and without the extra coco takes forever to dry... I have a lot of ammendments for the soil that I wont be able to use with coco. Maybe I should stick to the 3:1 peat coco ratio? I see thats quite common even some soils come with some coco.

TSD

TSD

I've already addressed the light burn separately several times, pretty lackluster information from "nuggmd" as well. There is only one leaf on the plant with that pigmentation. That's what I'm wondering about, not the light burn. I started the thread off, by saying it burnt. And, also, yet again, for another time, I did lower the intensity to about 80% last week. The lights went up 5 inches. That is change in light intensity. The plant is already showing signs of recovering and its had new growth still even while it was burning. There is one singular leaf showing that coloration and that is my subject of this post. Not to go back and forth with soil growers about their opinion on my top growth.
Best guess is phosphorus, that's usually what causes purples. Are the stems red/purple too at all?

T

thebranchman

Best guess is phosphorus, that's usually what causes purples. Are the stems red/purple too at all?
I peeped a few fan leaves that are a bit purple at the stem last night actually. Three or four over the whole plant though. Two of em are on the bottom inside end of the plant and arent as happy as the ones higher up to the light

T

thebranchman

Ye
I have not tried 6/2, but I understand it works. I'm fine with 18/6, if for no other reason than it fits my schedule well.

So... Reducing light intensity helped. That's a clue. I ran into light-related problems during flower of my last grow. One nutrient that I believe is involved is magnesium, particularly with LED lights. This is a topic I'm exploring for my next flip to flower, which will be soon.
I've heard that led's are commonly kept up to 24 inches away, I don't have the ceiling height for it in the exact spot they're in. The ceiling on one side is 5'6", one of the reasons in doing autos actually I don't have alot of space available inside. I'm doing raw salt nutrients so I'll have to figure out the best way to kindof supplement a good magnesium and maybe phosphorus but honestly I'm waiting more to add more beneficial bacterias and biological components before I start messing with the nutrients more.

TSD

TSD

If it were me, I'd probably do a foliar or top dress of guano or something else that has a decent amount of phosphorus... but I do outdoor so that stench matters not to me lol... do whatever hydro magic you need to do to up the phosphorus and see how she responds.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I've heard that led's are commonly kept up to 24 inches away
My experience with LEDs has me believing more distance is better, especially when using a high-power setting. I try to use 18 to 24 inches if I have the space. I also haven't been using much more than about 50% power. My lights are at 37.5% now in late veg.

Phosphorus is probably a good place to start then.
Now I remember phosphorus and purple. There was a discussion about it recently. So, I agree. It would be a good place to start. That said, it's likely there are multiple issues.

Eledin

Eledin

This is normal
Im not saying its not, I dont worry about those colors in fact I quite like them and the strains that show them the most are very pretty : P but light does play a role on the ammount of purple they will show we agree on that right? Thats always been common knowledge but maybe Im wrong, I dont even know anymore 🤣

Top Bottom