First time Caribbean Grow

• Thread starter TriniGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TriniGrower

TriniGrower

Hey guys,

It's my first grow, it's recently been made legal to grow cannabis in my country so I'm trying with some bag seeds first to get the hang of it.
They are different ages and are being fed nutrients organically (cow and chicken manure, crab meal, banana peel tea, fishtank water, powdered eggshells etc). Some bottom leaves were trimmed off and one was mainlined already as an experiment for our first time grow.

What you guys think? No sign of sex yet.

First time caribbean grow
First time caribbean grow 2
First time caribbean grow 3
N

Newber

sweet, gonna follow along for it. Maybe try and find some perlite for the soil next time you re-plant. Will make the soil more airy, will help drainage for water, allow better root growth. keep it up 😎

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

Doesn't look too bad I'd be real careful with the chicken manure it's real acidic and it can burn your plants but so far look pretty good Make sure that you have females not males happy growing stay safe and well God bless.... Bud shiners

I'm waiting patiently to see the sex! The bigger ones are almost six weeks old. Thanks for the chicken manure tip 👌👌👌it was mixed into a super soil along with potting mix, crab meal, Epson salts, ready to use horse manure and one or two other things can't recall every one right now. I figure these are sativa dominant seeds, not the best parental genetics but I'm hoping lots of tlc and the best organic food will make a difference in the bud🙏

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

I helped a bunch of Rastas on St Thomas grow some indica 30 years ago. For as much as they connsume, I was surprised at how little they tended to it, and males weren't usually pulled. Things changed the following season!

Right! They don't do it properly.. Im hoping to break that mold and take real good care of these plants, feed them well and see what happens🤞🤞🤞I know they'll only be as good as their genetics carry but I'm being optimistic here! We're only allowed four plants per person

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey trini , i offered some advice to another trinidad grower a few weeks ago , if i remember correctly , he told me you cant grow your limit outdoors ?
Thats too bad because the 12 hrs sunlight you guys live in is perfect for an indoor start , outdoor finish..?

I reccommended that he add a big bag of perlite in his mix , he said it was available in his nuursery , i reccommend yhst you do the same.
Your mix looks really dense and without good drainage you are going to run into big problems.....

Also noticed many growers / new and old dress the top of the pot with hay , sawdust , leaf etc , in my opinion its a bad idea , it really does nothing except give pests a place to hide and possibly alter ph if its acidic etc .....
If you got the seeds from bagseed , that dosent mean the genetics are inferior , even if thr bag weed was horrible, probably just came from a seeded plant... or carless outdoor grow ,

Upside to growing indoors in the carribean is you can choose a strain specific , and a shorter flower version , lets say a indica hybrid , and you wont have to wait more than 2 months to harvest , as the easier outdoor sativas ( that are growing outfdoors in their natural tropical environment ) will be happy in the outdoor sun , but will take 70 to 90 or more days to finish.....

dire wolf

dire wolf

Right! They don't do it properly.. Im hoping to break that mold and take real good care of these plants, feed them well and see what happens🤞🤞🤞I know they'll only be as good as their genetics carry but I'm being optimistic here! We're only allowed four plants per person
I know a bunch of rastas down your way , they are starting to catch on , these days

Also you would be doing yourself a favor if you can get a plastic grid or some thing to raise the pots up off the floor , so gravity can aid in drainage and your pots wont have constant "wet feet"
Sitting in composted runoff water can lead to root issues later on
You want a somewhat " dry " cycle all the way down .......

Last edited:
jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Hey guys,

It's my first grow, it's recently been made legal to grow cannabis in my country so I'm trying with some bag seeds first to get the hang of it.
They are different ages and are being fed nutrients organically (cow and chicken manure, crab meal, banana peel tea, fishtank water, powdered eggshells etc). Some bottom leaves were trimmed off and one was mainlined already as an experiment for our first time grow.

What you guys think? No sign of sex yet.

Good Luck! I am interested in island grows... Lots of stuff available in the ocean to help maximize the potential of our plant!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Sativas are better suited for the tropics as they don't suffer from mold as much due to their growth pattern. Don't disregard sativas as not being too strong...some of the strongest smoke came from Jamaica years ago.It almostmade you hallucinate! I was really surprised at their disregard for growing methods and for growing a great plant. I'm sure that there are growers that take a lot of time and effort, but in St Thomas, they didn't seem to have a clue about keeping males apart or drying/curing... their avg smoke was akin to poor grade commercial mexican. They had never seen or smelled an Indica strain, and it caused a lot of an uproar when nobody wanted to share seeds... cloning was out of the question for these guys. Most lived in cinder block buildings with no windows or doors. They had a bed, a refrigerator, and a huge stereo. Those are for the guys with electricity!
Just don't over feed them! It's too easy to do, especially for a newer grower. Nutrients are fine, but don't stack a bunch of them together. You seem to have a pretty good handle on it, just don't go too crazy until you get a grow or two under your belt and have a better "feel" for what the plants need (or don't) need.

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

Are these bag seed plants from local grown smoke or of a more commercial variety?

The biggest ones are locally grown bag seeds,the bud was exceptional - deemed highgrade local in our parts. I also have locally grown seeds from st Vincent, Colombia and jamaica

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

Sativas are better suited for the tropics as they don't suffer from mold as much due to their growth pattern. Don't disregard sativas as not being too strong...some of the strongest smoke came from Jamaica years ago.It almostmade you hallucinate! I was really surprised at their disregard for growing methods and for growing a great plant. I'm sure that there are growers that take a lot of time and effort, but in St Thomas, they didn't seem to have a clue about keeping males apart or drying/curing... their avg smoke was akin to poor grade commercial mexican. They had never seen or smelled an Indica strain, and it caused a lot of an uproar when nobody wanted to share seeds... cloning was out of the question for these guys. Most lived in cinder block buildings with no windows or doors. They had a bed, a refrigerator, and a huge stereo. Those are for the guys with electricity!
Just don't over feed them! It's too easy to do, especially for a newer grower. Nutrients are fine, but don't stack a bunch of them together. You seem to have a pretty good handle on it, just don't go too crazy until you get a grow or two under your belt and have a better "feel" for what the plants need (or don't) need.

Extremely grateful for this journey of a comment! Blessings!

My apartment building doesn't catch the full 12hour sun cycle we have because we live in between mountain ridges. So we have to use lights indoors to asisst

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

sweet, gonna follow along for it. Maybe try and find some perlite for the soil next time you re-plant. Will make the soil more airy, will help drainage for water, allow better root growth. keep it up 😎

We put some clay pebbles for airation for the while but we definitely need to get some perlite. Our quarantine lockdown is making things hard 😩

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

I know a bunch of rastas down your way , they are starting to catch on , these days

Also you would be doing yourself a favor if you can get a plastic grid or some thing to raise the pots up off the floor , so gravity can aid in drainage and your pots wont have constant "wet feet"
Sitting in composted runoff water can lead to root issues later on
You want a somewhat " dry " cycle all the way down .......

You read my mind, thank you, I was paying attention to that runoff aspect. Will do

TriniGrower

TriniGrower

Hey trini , i offered some advice to another trinidad grower a few weeks ago , if i remember correctly , he told me you cant grow your limit outdoors ?
Thats too bad because the 12 hrs sunlight you guys live in is perfect for an indoor start , outdoor finish..?

I reccommended that he add a big bag of perlite in his mix , he said it was available in his nuursery , i reccommend yhst you do the same.
Your mix looks really dense and without good drainage you are going to run into big problems.....

Also noticed many growers / new and old dress the top of the pot with hay , sawdust , leaf etc , in my opinion its a bad idea , it really does nothing except give pests a place to hide and possibly alter ph if its acidic etc .....
If you got the seeds from bagseed , that dosent mean the genetics are inferior , even if thr bag weed was horrible, probably just came from a seeded plant... or carless outdoor grow ,

Upside to growing indoors in the carribean is you can choose a strain specific , and a shorter flower version , lets say a indica hybrid , and you wont have to wait more than 2 months to harvest , as the easier outdoor sativas ( that are growing outfdoors in their natural tropical environment ) will be happy in the outdoor sun , but will take 70 to 90 or more days to finish.....

You can grow your limit of four plants outdoors but I figure he may be more worried about thieves.

I'd love to grow a highgrade indica plant, just testing the waters with bag seed sativa first. People are selling seeds for ridiculous prices down here.

My apartment is situated in between mountain ridges on my island so we unfortunately do not get the full 12hrs of sun here. We get about six max, that's why I had to get the indoor grow lights for assistance.

Will be mindful of the top dressing, thankfully I'm not too attached to it.

We definitely have to get perlite, just some quarantine restrictions are making things difficult

dire wolf

dire wolf

You can grow your limit of four plants outdoors but I figure he may be more worried about thieves.

I'd love to grow a highgrade indica plant, just testing the waters with bag seed sativa first. People are selling seeds for ridiculous prices down here.

My apartment is situated in between mountain ridges on my island so we unfortunately do not get the full 12hrs of sun here. We get about six max, that's why I had to get the indoor grow lights for assistance.

Will be mindful of the top dressing, thankfully I'm not too attached to it.

We definitely have to get perlite, just some quarantine restrictions are making things difficult
St vincent 😂 yea, got a lot of buddies up there , getting their grow game better and better each run , problem is so much pollin blowing around and crops so massive , that its hard to keep on top of......

I actually bred a strain , thats a game changer up
there....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom