First Time Curing Question

• Thread starter Badwolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Badwolf

So after having my lovely buds my gf and I are in a debate do you burp the jars until they are in the cure zone then store them for the curing process.
Or do you continue to burp the jars for the first week or two after even if they have already reached the cure zone to give them fresh air.

Once your in the long term storing process do just keep them sealed till there done?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
When lids are placed on the jars it allows the outer edge of the dry buds to wick water from their insides out.

Then next time you burp the jars you will allow the outside of the buds to dry. Wicking again from the inside.

The process repeats until you hit the %55rh mark.

You want to keep this process slow enough to allow the plant processes to continue consuming nutrients and breaking down chlorophyll.

But fast enough not to mold.

Once the process hits around %55rh this all stops from what I've read.

Then your flowers are safe for long term storage.

B

Badwolf

When lids are placed on the jars it allows the outer edge of the dry buds to wick water from their insides out.

Then next time you burp the jars you will allow the outside of the buds to dry. Wicking again from the inside.

The process repeats until you hit the %55rh mark.

You want to keep this process slow enough to allow the plant processes to continue consuming nutrients and breaking down chlorophyll.

But fast enough not to mold.

Everything I've read though says that the curing takes place between 60-65% humidity and at 55% the curing process stops

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Everything I've read though says that the curing takes place between 60-65% humidity and at 55% the curing process stops

Even my quote says that

Cure starts the second you chop the plant down.

While it hangs in the tent/room drying it is curing.

And once at under %70 when placed in jars it is still curing.

Once the jar hits %55 it all stops.

B

Badwolf

So would that mean I leave them sealed without burping between 60-65% indefinitely if I wanted to do a 1-3 month cure

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
So would that mean I leave them sealed without burping between 60-65% indefinitely if I wanted to do a 1-3 month cure

It's a slippery slope between curing to short losing smoothness +taste,

and

curing too long growing mold.

Only time and experience will really guide you.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Just burp the jars until 55 to 60%, no more than 60. Then you can keep them sealed and or add some 62g broveda packs. Helps keep things fresh for periods of time. No more need to open jars, minus grabbing a bud to get medicated with.

I have a vac sealed jar of my old prized Kyle kushman strawberry cream. Stuff was super bad ass. Now vac sealed for 2 yrs. Opening every Christmas to give my patients 2g each. Still very tasty, potency is degrading. No broveda pack in the vac sealed har.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
60 to 65% is where you want it in cure and you want it to stay above 60%. 50 to 55% is what most dispensary bud is at, it crumbles to dust when you break it up.

If you get the rh down to 65% in the jar you should only burp the jar every day and not leave off the lid, if the rh is above 65% you leave the lid off for a few hours or take the bud out for an hour and put it back in when the outside of the buds feel crispy again.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

60 to 65% is where you want it in cure and you want it to stay above 60%. 50 to 55% is what most dispensary bud is at, it crumbles to dust when you break it up.
Uhh.. no. Dispensary bud in Colorado is an "almost too wet to burn" 65%.

It's BELOW 55% the cure stops. I've cured at 55% and accidentally at about 62% and I VASTLY prefer 55%. Maybe physics have just been different in all the places I've lived and grown?

There's a lot of mis/dis-information on the web. I post about what I have a lot of experience with.
[/QUOTE]

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I was just going by personal experience with co dispensaries, when you ask if they have any fresh sticky bud they look at you like you asked for uranium for your flux capacitor.
The one time that I was actually shown some sticky cured bud it was pulled from the bottom shelf and had very little smell.
I have only been to 5 or 6 different dispensaries so I am by far no expert but it seems the further you go north of denver the lower the quality and the higher the price. I have not been south of denver nor have I been all the way to denver, so I can't speak of the quality for the whole state but from personal experience.
From my personal experience my hometown dealer always had much better product than any dispensary I have been to. The dealer usually only had one or two kinds but it was better than taxed stuff...

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I've been to dispensaries all over Colorado. A lot have wet bud these days. Water for cannabis prices is making them good money.

Still looking forward to finding some superior quality in Colorado. I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I've been to dispensaries all over Colorado. A lot have wet bud these days. Water for cannabis prices is making them good money.

Still looking forward to finding some superior quality in Colorado. I'm sure it's here somewhere.
Check out 14er in Boulder. I had been looking and looking and then I found it.

Psychonaut47

Psychonaut47

One thing I appreciate about Colorado dispo is they will tell you to your face what pesticides and insecticides they use as a preventive measure and that's when I run because they use it everytime

xavier7995

xavier7995

Don't shop dispensaries anymore but I preferred the overly dried out buds. It is costly from the drug store, no sense in paying for water and I can just toss with a boveda to get it back where it needs to be.

That was all off topic, take your buds to where they hold overnight at 60% rh then seal. Open and burp jars daily till you get there, at first you will probably need to leave jar open a few hours but towards the end I just open, then blow some fresh air in. I try and jostle the buds around a bit while burping in case of trapped stale air.

Dan789

Dan789

@Badwolf, just checked with a search (curing) and found 132 threads on curing. Popped my cvaults just to smell my stash, wonderful great aroma, still. So the combinations mentioned do result in a cured product, not sure how your ending up with the "hay" smell. But could be too long without enough burping to allow molds to set in, just a guess. With mine I had to go to the paper bags a few times until the bud got dry enough to "can".
Hope you can get it right as with all the hard work to get to harvest, having it go away sucks.

Top Bottom