First Time Curing With Bovedas. Seem Legit!

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

Bovedas vs. Burped Jars:

For the last few years I've slow-cured with large jars, burping over 2-3 months. Worked, but was a bit tedious. On a large outdoor plant from this summer, I cured two 1-gallon jars with traditional burping, and two 1-gallon jars with 58% Boveda packs.

So far, I can't really tell a difference. The Boveda-cured buds look and smell just like the burped-jar buds, and initial taste tests seem the same. I think I'm going to cure with Bovedas from now on. Really made it a lot easier.

I had read that some people feel Boveda's suck some of the smell out, but I wasn't able to tell any difference.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I have some bubba thats been in a turkey bag with one for over a year. Still has that bubba smell when you open it up & it still taste like perfume when you smoke it. Smell isnt as strong as it was originally but it has been over a year.

Kepster

Kepster

I'm a traveling sales rep for a premium cigar company and I don't have a bad thing to say about boveda's. I've also done both but since I have to travel for business so much I've turned to Boveda's and never looked back. A few days drying straight to turkey bags with boveda's and it doesn't matter if I don't check on them for a couple weeks or not, (I'm in SoCal) they cure and age just as good as if I burped them every so often, so +1 on your tech :)

Monster762

Monster762

Bovedas vs. Burped Jars:

For the last few years I've slow-cured with large jars, burping over 2-3 months. Worked, but was a bit tedious. On a large outdoor plant from this summer, I cured two 1-gallon jars with traditional burping, and two 1-gallon jars with 58% Boveda packs.

So far, I can't really tell a difference. The Boveda-cured buds look and smell just like the burped-jar buds, and initial taste tests seem the same. I think I'm going to cure with Bovedas from now on. Really made it a lot easier.

I had read that some people feel Boveda's suck some of the smell out, but I wasn't able to tell any difference.
So you’re saying no burp? Just hang dry til dry and leave sealed in jar with boveda? Did it even the moisture quicker?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I am about to try curing in Turkey bags (currently running out of jars). Can anyone suggest a decent place to buy some? They are all over the place price and size wise from what I see. I would need to cure about 4-8 ounces per strain with Bovedas (They have worked great for me with zero smell, problems etc.)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I am about to try curing in Turkey bags (currently running out of jars). Can anyone suggest a decent place to buy some? They are all over the place price and size wise from what I see. I would need to cure about 4-8 ounces per strain with Bovedas (They have worked great for me with zero smell, problems etc.)

Local grocery store. They are cheaper than buying online IME. The Reynolds brand works good and is what most places stock. I don’t think there’s a huge difference between brands.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

If I dont burp the smell won't develop. I've ran that experiment. Unburped still tastes like dirt, sugar, moss, never developed the detailed strain flavors,regardless of moisture content. Not sure how moisture replaces oxygen in the active curing process? Curing Cannabis is not the same as preserving tobacco, there's a lot going on and it requires periodic oxygen exposure. Burping is not about moisture content.. Not in my case at least. Even though the process is gradual, drying and curing are distinct events.

Whatever Boveda is doing it isn't curing. Same with freezer preservation. Maybe if you grow oilless sugarless fatless hydro, low Brix with no secondary metabolites, you can pretend preservation is curing, but it's not. Organic buds need oxygen to cure, period. Its a chemical process.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
If I dont burp the smell won't develop. I've ran that experiment. Unburped still tastes like dirt, sugar, moss, never developed the detailed strain flavors,regardless of moisture content. Not sure how moisture replaces oxygen in the active curing process? Curing Cannabis is not the same as preserving tobacco, there's a lot going on and it requires periodic oxygen exposure. Burping is not about moisture content.. Not in my case at least. Even though the process is gradual, drying and curing are distinct events.

Whatever Boveda is doing it isn't curing. Same with freezer preservation. Maybe if you grow oilless sugarless fatless hydro, low Brix with no secondary metabolites, you can pretend preservation is curing, but it's not. Organic buds need oxygen to cure, period. Its a chemical process.
Not quite sure what your doing wrong with the bovita s. I’ve never had a problem with em. These been in here going on 4 months. I burp every week. Stinks up the hole house and keeps getting better ever week. 3 different strains. Pounders in there. Been using em for years.
FFAB75CB 273C 47A1 A5E3 6F86E2953F0C

Perception

Perception

So you’re saying no burp? Just hang dry til dry and leave sealed in jar with boveda? Did it even the moisture quicker?

Thanks for asking, because I should clarify a little. I’m not just throwing the buds in a jar wet and forgetting them.

I hang dry for 7-10 days (climate controlled room - 65deg and about 58% humidity in garage). I then trim and jar the buds. after 24 hrs, if the buds are still wet, I lay them out on a table for a few hours, then re-jar. I do this for a few days, trying to get the jars closer to about 65% humidity.

I then threw the bovedas in. I’d open the jars once every week or two, mix the buds, and give a quick fan. Just 20 seconds or so. So I’m really just going for a fresh air exchange more than a prolonged burp. I did this over two months, even though the jars were reading 58% with the bovedas after about a week.

But this is still significantly less labor than a traditional slow-cure using the burping method. When I do the traditional burping method (no bovedas), I have to open the jars for about an hour, every 3-4 days, and it takes a month or two to get them from 65% down to 58%. I’m always SO afraid that I’ll forget them (which I’ve done), so I have to set an alarm on my phone.

Hope that helps!

Perception

Perception

I think that you are right about needed fresh air. I was still opening the Jars every week or two and shaking/fanning them for about 20 seconds to get good air exchange (see my notes two posts above).

I’ve haven’t tried just throwing he boveda in and not opening at all.

Kepster

Kepster

Actually the concept of drying and curing cannabis is almost identical to that of tobacco and although I agree that oxygen plays a role there's plenty of it to go around in a turkey bag (which is not airtight) allowing for the bud to cure just fine.

Monster762

Monster762

Actually the concept of drying and curing cannabis is almost identical to that of tobacco and although I agree that oxygen plays a role there's plenty of it to go around in a turkey bag (which is not airtight) allowing for the bud to cure just fine.
Yeah I like using bpa free food containers. They’re not air tight either. They slowly purge moisture I put it in food containers with mini hygrometer now.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
We do a standard cure in turkey bags but once cured we store with boveda packs and ship with 62% packs . Checked some product that was on back shelf year on and man it’s just as good as day 60 on cure.
So yes it’s good for long term store but nothing beats burping! And we only use turkey bags. 5-10k pounds. A month we won’t have enough manpower to open jars! 10 pound turkey bulkk packs are easier! And we put the bags into Home Depot hdx totes, leave the bags loose and just burp the lids once a day

Latest posts

Top Bottom