First time DWC - help with nutrients

• Thread starter Patrick050289
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Patrick050289

Patrick050289

Hi Guys!

I have previously completed a couple of mini wardrobe grows in coco/perlite.
Can't say it was plain sailing, but with a little help from various forums I managed to pull approx. 3oz from each plant in a very limited space.

Now that I am moving house, the new garage will be a perfect space for a little tent and a DWC adventure (Exciting times!)

I've settled on a 60cm x 60cm x 180cm tent, complemented by Mars Hydro TS600 light & adequate ventilation.
The DWC will be set up in a black, wrapped in reflective foil 50-60L tote. The tote will be aerated via an externally placed ( outside the tent ) pump and hold one plant only.

I believe my idea of the tent set up is in check, however, I am struggling with the choice of nutrients and additives for a successful grow.

In coco, my go to was Canna A&B, along with some cal-mag, silica, rhizotonic and cannazym.
During transplants, the roots were sprinkled with great white ( if I remember the name correctly ). Simples.

DWC nutrients are somehow trashing my head - do you have any brand recommendations? Ideally readily available in the UK.

I initial though of either sticking with Canna (Aqua), or perhaps trying out the GH Trio line.
As much as I am ok with the base nutrients, I am totally overwhelmed by the additives - bacteria, root enhancers etc.

I hear a lot about adding HydroGuard, which doesn't seem in stock anywhere in the UK.

I guess my question is - how do you feed your plants, ideally from start to finish?

Thanks! 👍

Jakecan

Jakecan

Mantisbufferednutrients.com Check these guys out. They developed a one part nutrient and it works great in DWC. You could practically automate your grow with this stuff. Also, it's buffered so the PH is always set between 5.7 and 6.2. I will never go back to the traditional 3-13 part nutrients after using this stuff.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

I use gh trio it’s easy enough and I feel like it was a good starting point.
I also would suggest calmag epsom salt and silica.
for beneficial bacteria I use southern ag fungicide, it’s the same stuff that’s in hydroguard but it’s way cheaper and you need to use way less 1ml to 20 gallons
Also I would get some hygrozyme and you should be set.
gh website has the feed schedules. Don’t use the one found on google as it’s set up for their 10 part nutrient line up. Go to the site and get the one specifically for the trio.
tips: shake nutrients really well. Get a ph and ppm/ec pen. Make sure you know what your ppm is of your plain water before mixing nutes. I use ro water but you can get away with tap if the ppm is low enough.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Hi Guys!

Can't say it was plain sailing, but with a little help from various forums I managed to pull approx. 3oz from each plant in a very limited space.

Now that I am moving house, the new garage will be a perfect space for a little tent and a DWC adventure (Exciting times!)

I've settled on a 60cm x 60cm x 180cm tent, complemented by Mars Hydro TS600 light & adequate ventilation.
The DWC will be set up in a black, wrapped in reflective foil 50-60L tote. The tote will be aerated via an externally placed ( outside the tent ) pump and hold one plant only.

I believe my idea of the tent set up is in check, however, I am struggling with the choice of nutrients and additives for a successful grow.

In coco, my go to was Canna A&B, along with some cal-mag, silica, rhizotonic and cannazym.
During transplants, the roots were sprinkled with great white ( if I remember the name correctly ). Simples.

DWC nutrients are somehow trashing my head - do you have any brand recommendations? Ideally readily available in the UK.

I initial though of either sticking with Canna (Aqua), or perhaps trying out the GH Trio line.
As much as I am ok with the base nutrients, I am totally overwhelmed by the additives - bacteria, root enhancers etc.

I hear a lot about adding HydroGuard, which doesn't seem in stock anywhere in the UK.

I guess my question is - how do you feed your plants, ideally from start to finish?

Thanks! 👍
Also I should add that there’s no real right answer here. That’s the beauty of this hobby, for some a vocation, there are a million different roads to the same destination. Pick a nutrient regimen that you feel confident with and give it a shot. They are called weed for a reason, they’re weeds man. They can take a lot of abuse and fuck ups yet still produce. I don’t have hundreds of grows under my belt just 3 or 4 maybe. But I gotta tell ya every grow has been better than the last. I had a lot of problems with my first dwc and found this oasis of knowledge when I was dying of thirst. I owe this place my first harvest and swore by the old gods and the new to repay the debt. Seven blessings to you and your future grow may the gods smile upon you.

Patrick050289

Patrick050289

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply!

As mentioned, I've grown a couple of times in coco, but dwc although similar is new to me.
I am not sure which additives play well with which nutrients etc.

So basically I am inclined to try the GH 3 part nutrients - I love the idea of the Mantis, but doesn't seem readily available in the UK.
Saying that, I am totally open to other PH stable suggestions. ( I have decent PH and EC meters anyway, but it would be nice not to worry too much about fluctuations )

So I am thinking the following:

* GH 3 part nutrients
* Silica
* Cal mag

Then I am not sure with choices of:

* Enzymes - which brand etc.
* Hydroguard - Not available anywhere in UK, what would be a good replacement?
* Bud enhancers - Used Canna boost before, not sure what's good for hydro?

I am paranoid about root rot, therefore would rather pay for additives rather than have an up and down grow if you get what I mean :)

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply!

As mentioned, I've grown a couple of times in coco, but dwc although similar is new to me.
I am not sure which additives play well with which nutrients etc.

So basically I am inclined to try the GH 3 part nutrients - I love the idea of the Mantis, but doesn't seem readily available in the UK.
Saying that, I am totally open to other PH stable suggestions. ( I have decent PH and EC meters anyway, but it would be nice not to worry too much about fluctuations )

So I am thinking the following:

* GH 3 part nutrients
* Silica
* Cal mag

Then I am not sure with choices of:

* Enzymes - which brand etc.
* Hydroguard - Not available anywhere in UK, what would be a good replacement?
* Bud enhancers - Used Canna boost before, not sure what's good for hydro?

I am paranoid about root rot, therefore would rather pay for additives rather than have an up and down grow if you get what I mean :)
Enzymes I use hygrozyme , I’m not sure of any other brands or how well they work.
I use southern ag fungicide in place of hydroguard, it’s cheap and you don’t need 2ml per gallon just 1ml for 20 gallons. I’m using the same pint from 3 grows ago.

RichRon

RichRon

Hi Guys!

Thanks! 👍
I like current culture line. They have a detailed feeding chart with recommended ppm levels, ph, and Temps. Im just beginning my 4th week of flower . I use silica, enzymes, and beneficial bacteria but u can't use the beneficial bacteria if u use UC roots

Shadowfly325

Shadowfly325

Mantisbufferednutrients.com Check these guys out. They developed a one part nutrient and it works great in DWC. You could practically automate your grow with this stuff. Also, it's buffered so the PH is always set between 5.7 and 6.2. I will never go back to the traditional 3-13 part nutrients after using this stuff.
I'm super interested. Only thing is they sell outta Canada 🇨🇦 and it doesn't seem like it's easier to access elsewhere like USA. Also, for DWC are u using anything else with Mantis nutes? I was thinking if I can get my hands on some that I still might need an enzyme or mycorrhizae. Wdyt?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I'm live, use trio, calmag and hydroguard.. Nothing else yet.. Might throw a pgr in there this next flower, but I do like it simple.

5gallon per plant veg, 10 gallon per plant flower. Total capacity is what I mean. If u want to flower one plant in the same system use 10gallon of water per plant. No ph swings and slow ppm swings.

1ml calmag, 1ml flora micro, 1ml grow, 1ml bloom. Add to to water until 225ppm. Then add 2ml per gallon hydroguard.

Keep netpots submerged and ur fine. My res is over 30 days old. Started at 225ppm,buffered to 250,and a month later it's at 200ppm.

RichRon

RichRon

If u get root rot dont panic. I have 1 set up without bebeficial bacteria in it, without a water chiller. The water temperature get above 74° but I've been using current culture UC Roots. You cant use it with beneficial bacteria tho it kills them.

I use current culture feeding chart as a guide.
I mean that to say it list the EC, PPM, PH and temperature recommended for each week.

Some times different nutrient lines have u using more than your plant needs, but i have yet to have any major issues using their numers (recommended ph, temperature, and ppm for each week)

Its available online if the pic is blurry

Screenshot 20211014 130319 Samsung Notes
Phill

Phill

I’ve used most I personally have seen my best result with Jack’s 321 my plants have never looked better and the cost is way cheaper than hg or advanced

Top Bottom