First time Ebb & Flow - Leaf curling and root issues

• Thread starter Balian_Ibelin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Balian_Ibelin

Hoping to get some help diagnosing what going on with my seedlings/small plants

I'm using Flora Flex for nutrients, CoCo as a medium, and a 10 gallon reservoir. The Ph has tested fine, testing every few days for the duration of the grow. I don't have the tools to test the other numbers.

I planted these guys on the 6/28. They started off growing like crazy and were transplanted out of solo cups Monday 7/6. In those TWO DAYS I've noticed roots coming out of all the drain holes in their new big pots. The leaves are also curling, this was an issue when they were in solo cups, but got way worse since the transplant.

I'm trying to water less thinking that could be my issue. Also thinking of flushing the system but the water isn't even a two weeks old so I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

First time ebb  flow   leaf curling and root issues
First time ebb  flow   leaf curling and root issues 2
First time ebb  flow   leaf curling and root issues 3
First time ebb  flow   leaf curling and root issues 4
First time ebb  flow   leaf curling and root issues 5
threatco

threatco

My best guess is that they are suffocating from lack of oxygen to the roots.

Those pots do not seem to be very suited for coco in ebb and flow. Do you think air is getting to the root mass between floods?

Will need to fix that somehow.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

I'm using Flora Flex for nutrients, CoCo as a medium, and a 10 gallon reservoir. The Ph has tested fine, testing every few days for the duration of the grow. I don't have the tools to test the other numbers.

I planted these guys on the 6/28. They started off growing like crazy and were transplanted out of solo cups Monday 7/6. In those TWO DAYS I've noticed roots coming out of all the drain holes in their new big pots. The leaves are also curling, this was an issue when they were in solo cups, but got way worse since the transplant.

I'm trying to water less thinking that could be my issue. Also thinking of flushing the system but the water isn't even a two weeks old so I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Dude above me hit the nail on the head. You've got cupping which is WAY too much water. And since you're in coco, the first thing to look at is your pots. He's right. There is no where near enough drainage. Transplant them, baby them on reduced nutrients for a week and crank it back up once your roots have had time to recover from what you're about to do to them.

B

Balian_Ibelin

My best guess is that they are suffocating from lack of oxygen to the roots.

Those pots do not seem to be very suited for coco in ebb and flow. Do you think air is getting to the root mass between floods?

Will need to fix that somehow.

Thanks so much! What sort of pot do you recommend? I was given these pots by the guys at the Hydro shop. I've seen the air-pots and the cloth pots used with coco as well but like I said I'm a total noob so any advise would be awesome. Thanks again

B

Balian_Ibelin

Dude above me hit the nail on the head. You've got cupping which is WAY too much water. And since you're in coco, the first thing to look at is your pots. He's right. There is no where near enough drainage. Transplant them, baby them on reduced nutrients for a week and crank it back up once your roots have had time to recover from what you're about to do to them.

Not doubting you at all because it makes a lot of sense. But I thought cupping could be caused by lots of things no?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Not doubting you at all because it makes a lot of sense. But I thought cupping could be caused by lots of things no?

I'd look for other things if you had cal/mag spots, tip burn, edge burn, etc... but you don't. Your plants are in very good shape with the exception of the cupping issue. That will lead to root rot. You've got to get air to those roots.

chemistry

chemistry

Any ideas?

The fact you have pearly white roots pouring out the bottom of your pots says how well they work for you.

B

Balian_Ibelin

How hots your grow room? Looks a bit like over heating, how close are your lights to your plants?

Good idea! I've been worried about heat as well but I think I ruled that out. I isolated the plants outside the grow room under an LED at about 75f for three days when i first noticed the cupping and it only wound up getting worse. I do have issues with heat tho

79 - 83f at the top of the room

71 - 85f under the light.

I've been keeping really good track of temperature (home all the time cuz the virus so I check it several times a day) in the room and the surrounding area and it's been hot but never above 88-89 and tend to correct that extreme quick. From what I've read it's a little hot but within the upper limits.

The light is probably 2.5 feet above the tops of the plants.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good idea! I've been worried about heat as well but I think I ruled that out. I isolated the plants outside the grow room under an LED at about 75f for three days when i first noticed the cupping and it only wound up getting worse. I do have issues with heat tho

79 - 83f at the top of the room

71 - 85f under the light.

I've been keeping really good track of temperature (home all the time cuz the virus so I check it several times a day) in the room and the surrounding area and it's been hot but never above 88-89 and tend to correct that extreme quick. From what I've read it's a little hot but within the upper limits.

The light is probably 2.5 feet above the tops of the plants.
88-89 is pretty darn hot without CO2. What lights are you running? I'm positive you have light stress. And if you don't then I would start looking for mites but I don't see evidence of them. Although it's not like I could see them anyhow

B

Balian_Ibelin

88-89 is pretty darn how without CO2. What lights are you running? I'm positive you have light stress. And if you don't then I would start looking for mites but I don't see evidence of them. Although it's not like I could see them anyhow

Ugh I know dude. It's hot as hell where I'm living and all my house has for cooling is a few window ACs.

I will say tho that the high temp wasn't for long and was cuz a roommate left the dehumidifier on over night once. I average 79-80 pretty consistently.

Running a CMH 315w light. Overpowered for the summer for sure but I live in the North East USA where we get weeks of -15f, so I figure the light can help me keep temps up in the winter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ugh I know dude. It's hot as hell where I'm living and all my house has for cooling is a few window ACs.

I will say tho that the high temp wasn't for long and was cuz a roommate left the dehumidifier on over night once. I average 79-80 pretty consistently.

Running a CMH 315w light. Overpowered for the summer for sure but I live in the North East USA where we get weeks of -15f, so I figure the light can help me keep temps up in the winter.
They put out a fair bit of IR. If you get an IR temp gun I bet you will find leaf temps are high. Running room is the mid to high 80's with CMH at that distance your gonna have issues. I'm an LED grower and never used CMH but I'm thinking they should be 3.5' or a bit more for this age of plant.

That's a guess hopefully someone with experience with them can fill you in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom