First time grow, auto or veg ?

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zoot

zoot

So I’m setting up my grow room. This will be a first time grow for me. Looking opinions and advice on pros and cons of either method. Auto or veg ?
thanks in advance 🤓

SativaBob

SativaBob

Welcome to the farm.

My 2 cents is photo's are the way to go for beginners. I'm on my 3rd grow and started last spring. I almost killed my first 2 seedlings but ended up being able to save them because I had time to let them bounce back. I kept them in veg for an extra month so they could recover and be healthy for flower. With autos you're on a timer the second the seed pops so if you mess up it'll probably affect your overall yield and growing experience. Maybe get some auto seeds when you order so you have some on hand for when you're ready.
Good luck! 🤙

zoot

zoot

Thanks for the advice ! Seems like a short cut with autos but I knew there had to be a down side. Waiting for my equipment to show up, have a source for clones locally.
Thanks again

SativaBob

SativaBob

Thanks for the advice ! Seems like a short cut with autos but I knew there had to be a down side. Waiting for my equipment to show up, have a source for clones locally.
Thanks again
Right on! I've noticed the 'name brand' strains you'd recognize are cheaper in auto form but you can't clone auto's so I'd just run them for fun. It's nice to dial in a photo strain through cloning.

zoot

zoot

Ok, got it ! Thanks. Can’t wait to get started. Stuff is supposed to arrive during next week. The room is ready, got plenty of power. It’s a corner of my workshop I walked off. Have an exhaust system in the whole workshop and have a positive ventilation flow installed.
Thanks guys

SativaBob

SativaBob

Ok, got it ! Thanks. Can’t wait to get started. Stuff is supposed to arrive during next week. The room is ready, got plenty of power. It’s a corner of my workshop I walked off. Have an exhaust system in the whole workshop and have a positive ventilation flow installed.
Thanks guys
Sounds awesome, man. Be sure to start a grow diary so we can follow along!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Auto = Kind of seed: Changes to flower mode by itself. This means you run it 18/6 (hours of light/dark) it's whole life.
Veg = The growth stage of all plants. "This plant is in veg mode."
Bud/Flower mode = When the plant changed from vegitation stage to flowering stage and begins producing buds.
Reg/Photo = Kind of seed: A regular seed that the switch for flower mode is controlled by lights mostly. You control the cycle.

zoot

zoot

Thanks for the info, trying to learn as much as I can. I’m getting some cuttings, would you call them clones ? Where do they fit in with your ‘modes’ ?
Thanks, this is fun as hell !!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Cuttings are clones because they are a piece of the original plant. They will grow just like the original.

zoot

zoot

Ok, after they grow roots and they are planted, are they then referred to as vegging ?

sunwestgenetics

sunwestgenetics

Thanks again
rooting for you success growth.

zoot

zoot

The article is about starting from seeds which I don’t have, I’ll be using cuttings. So, where would the clones be in these stages of life described ? Sorry to be so clueless 🙄

S

sshortguy1

this is my 1st grow using LEDs now my plants look funny as same as yours but I'm used to MH & HPS

Pic 2
Pic
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

So I’m setting up my grow room. This will be a first time grow for me. Looking opinions and advice on pros and cons of either method. Auto or veg ?
thanks in advance 🤓
In my personal, highly biased opinion, there is NEVER a good reason to grow autos if you have the ability to control your light and dark periods.

Top Bottom