First time grow, auto or veg ?

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SativaBob

SativaBob

The article is about starting from seeds which I don’t have, I’ll be using cuttings. So, where would the clones be in these stages of life described ? Sorry to be so clueless 🙄
If you start from a rooted clone then the plant will be in "veg." Veg really just has to do with the light cycles. Anything longer than 12/12, 12 hours on and 12 hours off, is considered veg. Some growers veg for 16/8 or 18/6. Some do other variations as well.
Anything with the light timed 12/12 or less the plant is considered in "flower."

If you get a clone with no roots that is called a "cutting." These you will have deal with differently than a rooted clone.

Fyi, this info is just for photo period strains, not autos, but I assume if you're getting a local clone it will be a photo.
Auto growers typically run them like a plant in veg since they flower on their own regardless of light schedule.

Hope that helps!

zoot

zoot

Thanks for that, then I’ll be getting cuttings. From what I’ve read, the cutting needs to grow roots in water. Is that correct ?
Appreciate the help

SativaBob

SativaBob

Thanks for that, then I’ll be getting cuttings. From what I’ve read, the cutting needs to grow roots in water. Is that correct ?
Appreciate the help
There's a few ways to root cuttings. Basically they need very little light, good humidity, and rooting hormone to help it root. In the summer I can get them to root in a couple weeks in a sunny window in water but since we have short days here now the cuttings will go into flower right away. The way I've had good success is with a clone dome and heat mat. Make sure to get a spray bottle too so you can mist the leaves of your cutting. Be sure to do some reading on the different rooting methods before you get your clone.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have been running autos 10+ years in my opinion there much more fussy and when things go south you have little time to fix, here is a Pic 1&2 of strawberry mango crumble no real problems, but have a nice big dark devel auto that is allmost topped off but is flowering poorly however since plant is clearly female will have to put under a booster and cut light cycle to 12/12 this usually works if plant is clearly female but not allways, some burn easily at 1/4 recommended nute dose, but you get same quality weed much faster but less and you don't transplant you put in pot u intend to do your whole grow in, if you Pic an easy strain that is forgiving like say northern light I would start with photoperiod plants.

20220103 193227
20220103 193237
zoot

zoot

Thanks, that’s my plan, I want to be able to clone the plants, can’t with autos.
Hope my friend can come through with the clones otherwise I’m screwed. It’s not legal to get seeds from out of state. I was looking at femenized seeds out of curiosity. Any experience with them ?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We don't care for FEMs. They usually have freaky genetics. Reg (Regular) seeds are what we use. We just have to keep an eye out for males.

Top Bottom