first time grow, Baggie Seed

• Thread starter padyakol
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
padyakol

padyakol

I totally changed my water reservoir, drained it then added new water that I have adjusted to a ph of 5.8 last friday(stored in a container). Is that wrong? From 950ppm to 300ppm last friday and then to 80ppm today.. The seedlings looked like they needed to be flushed so I will keep them at that for 2 days then bring it up to 300ppm again after. Unfortunately, I don't get to visit my grow during the weekends. The roots seem fine, 2 of them are already growing out of the net pots. But the leaves and color are in really bad shape:(

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I totally changed my water reservoir, drained it then added new water that I have adjusted to a ph of 5.8 last friday(stored in a container). Is that wrong? From 950ppm to 300ppm last friday and then to 80ppm today.. The seedlings looked like they needed to be flushed so I will keep them at that for 2 days then bring it up to 300ppm again after. Unfortunately, I don't get to visit my grow during the weekends. The roots seem fine, 2 of them are already growing out of the net pots. But the leaves and color are in really bad shape:(

If root growth has resumed then plant growth will be shortly behind. Healthy roots equals healthy plants.

Wrong is not a word I use when discussing growing techniques, what works for me may not work for you. But what do you mean by water? Are you talking about plain water or water with nutrients (nutrient solution) in it? If you are adjusting the pH of plain water, in my opinion you are wasting time and resources. Once you add your nutrients your pH will change again, and you will have to adjust again. So I would only adjust my pH once, after I make my nutrient solution. I also don't recommend storing mixed nutrient solution, I simply mix what I need and put it into my system immediately.

You really don't need to flush your plants that long, one day is fine. Also believe it or not flushing is not always a less is better situation. The plant actually needs to take up water and nutrients to help it flush out the older salts that have built up in their system. Another reason why I would bring your ppm level up is because a jump from 80 ppm to 300 ppm is a large leap, you need to gradually build up the plants exposure to nutrients. I like to keep my stressors to a minimum, and large swings in pH and ppm levels can be significant stressors.

If you have to be away from your grow for the weekends I would consider switching to another method of growing. You may want to try growing in a medium that retains water and nutrients, like rockwool or coco. I personally would recommend coco, it is still a hydroponic method of growing but it offers the water retention and buffering capacity of soil. Another advantage of coco is that you can grow fully organically. Just food for thought.

padyakol

padyakol

I see.. No need to store water with nutes. Thank you for this advice. I actually adjust the ph of the water with nutes right before i put it on the reservoir. When you say fully organically, do you mean living organic tea?:)

Here are some pics today.. they look really burnt:banghead: except the local plant..

IMG 1617
IMG 1619
IMG 1622
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Honestly I am not sure if those little guys will make it or not, but don't give up until they're definitely gone. The larger one does look alright and like it is rebounding.

When I say fully organically I mean living soils and soilless mixes and only organic nutrients are applied. When I say organic nutrients I mean bottles nutrients that are made of bat guanos, earthworm castings, seabird guanos, plant materials, fish hydrolysates, or solid nutrients such as compost, manures, kelp meal, bone meal, feather meal and the like. All of these products need to be broken down before the nutrients they hold become available to the plants. This process is sped up by the process of brewing aerobic teas, and these teas could subsequently be used in hydroponic situations. However even by doing it this way I feel there are drawbacks. In fact the only way of growing completely hydroponic crops with organics would be aquaponics.

padyakol

padyakol

An update on my grow.. Its gone from bad to worse for my local but the california specials seem okay. I hope!

JAMES KNOX

JAMES KNOX

Honestly I am not sure if those little guys will make it or not, but don't give up until they're definitely gone. The larger one does look alright and like it is rebounding.

When I say fully organically I mean living soils and soilless mixes and only organic nutrients are applied. When I say organic nutrients I mean bottles nutrients that are made of bat guanos, earthworm castings, seabird guanos, plant materials, fish hydrolysates, or solid nutrients such as compost, manures, kelp meal, bone meal, feather meal and the like. All of these products need to be broken down before the nutrients they hold become available to the plants. This process is sped up by the process of brewing aerobic teas, and these teas could subsequently be used in hydroponic situations. However even by doing it this way I feel there are drawbacks. In fact the only way of growing completely hydroponic crops with organics would be aquaponics.
HI MATE IM NEW HERE I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE IMA NEWBIE GROWER AND IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD ORGANIC SOILLESS MIX AND NUTRIENTS CAN YOU SEND ME THE RIGHT WAY TO GO? PLS

Latest posts

Top Bottom