First Time Grow, Complete Noob.

• Thread starter tommkills
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tommkills

tommkills

Hi, first time grower and I thought I'd try growing in coco after reading how pest resistant it was. I was eager and bought stuff as quick as a could and now i'm paying the price. Firstly my set-up;

-Gorilla Grow Lite 4x4x6'7 Tent
-King LED 1200W

-MotherEarth's Prepackaged 70/30 Coco Perlite (this shit is terrible, returning the rest of the bag and ordering Canna Coco)
-Avanced Nutrients Sensi Coco Grow/Bloom (i should have just stuck with the simple a b and canna coco but i learned something)
-Aptus Plant Tech Nutrients

Vivosun 4" exhaust
Two fans
cheap thermostat

First time grow complete noob 2

I germinated 4 seeds lat night [5/7]. I placed them in a cup of R/O water and placed them in my closet. (later moved to my bathroom with the heater on to keep them warm)
I checked on them 10 hours later checking for any tap root exposure and one was already cracking. (forgot i was suppose to check if they would sink and then use the paper towel method).

I let them soak for another 5-6 hours before i checked to see if they would sink. I then used the paper towel method and placed them back under my sink cupboard.

I let them germinate for a full 24 hours and they all were opening and showing some type of tap root.

First time grow complete noob

I let them get a little bigger than this before I rushed to plant them becuase i was eager and dumb, didn't realized they could go a lot longer before being planted. (I DIDNT PLANT deep enough, i was scared of planting too deep and the mixutre is concetrated with perlite i planted the seeds about as deep as my pinky nail) (a little later i strained out some pure coco pete from the bag and washed ita then gently top fed each plant so they'd be a little deeper)

I washed the coco out with water until it was under 30ppm before i planted them (didn't have a calmag nutrient at the time)
but i did start feeding them a nutrient mix of Sensi Grow A/B And Fasilator (boron) at strength of about 190ppm. My problem is I don't know if i'm drowning them or not as i've never watered plants in soil or coco. I wasn't watering on a specific schedule and I would just feed them a little bit of that nutrient mixture throughout the day until i'd get a little run off.

I watered them the saturday morning [5/9] and went on a walk and when i returned one of the seeds was peaking from the coco.
First time grow complete noob 3
(sorry for bad pictures, didn't document anything this first time as i was just eager to began)

It looked to like the seed pushed itself up through the coco and the root was exposed, so I tried to gently burry him. (knocked off his seed.....)

I'm in the midwest and i was struggling to incread the rH of the tent (i'm an idiot and didn't realize i could just spray water all over the tent and turn the exhaust off) so the seedlings sat in 39-45% humdity over the weekend until i brought them up to about 72 rH and 75F.

First time grow complete noob 4
First time grow complete noob 5

and the other two have no signs of life yet.....
I don't know if I should give up on these guys yet or not.

I was going to just scrap them and start fresh in pure Canna Coco and use just their A+B nutrient along with Calmag+.
and also swap to

-Cloudline T4 Exhaust
-HLG 100 V2 4000K LED

Any advice would be appreciated.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Give them time but keep your light up to much light is not good for seedlings better to pop seed in and no lights the seed doesn’t require it to sprout .

tommkills

tommkills

Give them time but keep your light up to much light is not good for seedlings better to pop seed in and no lights the seed doesn’t require it to sprout .

okay i had it even lower and noticed they did better when i raised it

Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
They did better with it low ? You have confused me I’m sorry .

4SkateMafia20

4SkateMafia20

Dont know if this helps but,coco holds on to moisture for quite some time.At the seedling stage as soon as they have sprouted I feed in a pippette/droper and just around the stem (literally only a couple drops.) once everyday until they hit week 2 then il start feeding via a small jug and then not til runoff.Tbh my first feed to runoff only happens by the 3/4 true leaves or once i can tell shes allgood and happy.Sounds to me like u maybe over watering,worried about the RH etc.

tommkills

tommkills

Dont know if this helps but,coco holds on to moisture for quite some time.At the seedling stage as soon as they have sprouted I feed in a pippette/droper and just around the stem (literally only a couple drops.) once everyday until they hit week 2 then il start feeding via a small jug and then not til runoff.Tbh my first feed to runoff only happens by the 3/4 true leaves or once i can tell shes allgood and happy.Sounds to me like u maybe over watering,worried about the RH etc.

helps alot my biggest question is how much and when to water/feed..... particularly at this stage.
should i just use r/o water for the first two weeks or is a nutrient solution at 200ppm fine?

don't have any experience with plants at all.

4SkateMafia20

4SkateMafia20

helps alot my biggest question is how much and when to water/feed..... particularly at this stage.
should i just use r/o water for the first two weeks or is a nutrient solution at 200ppm fine?

don't have any experience with plants at all.
U need to feed lightly from the moment they sprout,coco holds no nutrients so they need feed from the moment they sprout.But when they still sprouts they will eat very little,their roots are still developing etc.Id say for the first 2 weeks feed them with a dropper with a very light feed everyday(20mls or so)just around the stem.Dont water til runoff until 3/4 set of true leaves.Less is more at this stage.

4SkateMafia20

4SkateMafia20

sorry i meant to add the 20 mls is just a guide,use less on the first day(no sure what ur calmag values are) but make sure they in the feed,every feed and increase slightly everyday.also the light feed must be phd 5.8-6.2

tommkills

tommkills

sorry i meant to add the 20 mls is just a guide,use less on the first day(no sure what ur calmag values are) but make sure they in the feed,every feed and increase slightly everyday.also the light feed must be phd 5.8-6.2

boron till about 50ppm and calmag till about 130ppm and after following 1ml per litre guidline for the sensi NPKs about 210ppm

tommkills

tommkills

Here's what they look like this morning after reducing my watering and raising the light to about 36"

3/4 seeds have sprouted.

96420069 885115835233970 6231264558787330048 n
96087922 260346498681574 590310458464927744 n
96362343 612832632653137 4954950555026849792 n

tommkills

tommkills

Here's an update...day six since germinating....the forth seedling started sprouting only 20ish hours ago and has made massive progresss.
97128522 241667126922067 8816654559662309376 n
97081767 1835483329919402 441555799471292416 n

when do i lower my LED? (Rated 1200W but is a cheap light off amazon and it's only in veg mode)

tommkills

tommkills

Here's another update on day 10/11........

Noticed that the fan leaves started curling so i raised my light again (basically as high as it'll go).

First time growing so I'm not entirely sure how i'm suppose to be watering. I reduced my watering/feeding per your recommendation but after their leaves started curling a two days ago i started watering till just a little bit of run-off. (same noot ratio as previous feedings)

any recommendations?

98347091 237547330877013 3141269789587013632 n
97842850 1656653757821327 2766579574283173888 n
98205728 861755924345169 5786754096694296576 n

98205728 861755924345169 5786754096694296576 n
tommkills

tommkills

also, i planned on moving them straight into their 3gall pots in which they'll be flowered, when exactly should I be considering that? I also have some 2 gal pots I haven't decided which to put them in.

They're regular seeds so i'm not planning on flowering 4 plants in my tent

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
also, i planned on moving them straight into their 3gall pots in which they'll be flowered, when exactly should I be considering that? I also have some 2 gal pots I haven't decided which to put them in.

They're regular seeds so i'm not planning on flowering 4 plants in my tent
I wouldn't go to the 3 gallon for at least a month but you should transplant into a pot half way between what you're in and the 3 gal. In a week or 10 days go up a pot size to 1 gal for a couple - weeks then to the 3 gallon. Big pots and small plants make watering and feeding more difficult and a waste of nutes adding more humidity & waste water.

Why is there water droplets on your leaves? Not good under light. let dry off before returning to the light. I only spray if they have bugs.

tommkills

tommkills

I wouldn't go to the 3 gallon for at least a month but you should transplant into a pot half way between what you're in and the 3 gal. In a week or 10 days go up a pot size to 1 gal for a couple - weeks then to the 3 gallon. Big pots and small plants make watering and feeding more difficult and a waste of nutes adding more humidity & waste water.

Why is there water droplets on your leaves? Not good under light. let dry off before returning to the light. I only spray if they have bugs.

Okay, was trying to avoid two transplants and didn't mind watering the larger pots but i'll get some 1 gallons.
understood, was doing my best not to get water on them but I wasn't careful this morning with my dripper/sprayer. Thank you for your advice. any input on my lighting? it's about 37" away for the tops of the plants and can only go up about another 2 inchs.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Okay, was trying to avoid two transplants and didn't mind watering the larger pots but i'll get some 1 gallons.
understood, was doing my best not to get water on them but I wasn't careful this morning with my dripper/sprayer. Thank you for your advice. any input on my lighting? it's about 37" away for the tops of the plants and can only go up about another 2 inchs.
Not for led lights I use t5 Fluorescent for veg and hps to flower. I can keep the light as close as I want with with t5's (without touching ) and hps 18" - 2ft .

I take 3 steps to large pots from solo cups to 3/4 gallon - 3 gallon. I let the roots fill each pot before transplanting up.

Top Bottom