First time grow diary outdoor

• Thread starter Ninimodz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Ninimodz

Hey guys, just moving my diary thread from 'Introductions' to here for better organization.

I'm on week one of these plants, I have 8 seedlings currently. I'll be growing these outdoor in south east NC. For soil, only FFHF and about 25% perlite. We received these seeds from a friend. He said 2 were Ak47 auto and rest were bag seeds. I had one of the bad seeds sprout a twin, which I then killed accidently trying to transplant it (still very cool I got one). Fyi I'm learning stage by stage, so I'm still learning all the lingo. I just put medium sized holes at the bottom of all the pots (I'm really paranoid that I'm going to over or under water). I'm expecting medium to heavy rain Saturday and Sunday where I live. any tips to plan for heavy rain? Anyways here the baby girls, and the last picture, I just threw my couple of last germinated seeds into a little garden not expecting them to sprout. She already has little white spots, im not sure what that means.

First time grow diary outdoor
First time grow diary outdoor 2
First time grow diary outdoor 3
First time grow diary outdoor 4
N

Ninimodz

Start of week 2, I got hit with 1 day of heavy fog, 2 nights of rain and 3 days of overcast. Hopefully a full week of sun coming. Made mistakes of not watching the weather and plants are most likely hurting from overwatering. I've noticed 2 of plants leaves starting to warp in a way kinda like a taco, I assume because too much water. I think they're doing alright besides that, any advice moving forward? I'll be getting ready for the veg stage, I have a semi-plan for this that I still need to research more.

20220530 085215
20220530 085334
20220530 085338
20220530 085331
20220530 085350
20220530 085354
20220530 085419
20220530 085424
chemistry

chemistry

Start of week 2, I got hit with 1 day of heavy fog, 2 nights of rain and 3 days of overcast. Hopefully a full week of sun coming. Made mistakes of not watching the weather and plants are most likely hurting from overwatering. I've noticed 2 of plants leaves starting to warp in a way kinda like a taco, I assume because too much water. I think they're doing alright besides that, any advice moving forward? I'll be getting ready for the veg stage, I have a semi-plan for this that I still need to research more.

I would still put the seedlings out in the day for a few hours to harden them off. 😉

N

Ninimodz

I would still put the seedlings out in the day for a few hours to harden them off. 😉
Thanks for the reply man, I actually was worried I was going to get hate because these guys have been outside 24/7 from day 1 😅 as soon we had a few consistent days of heat I planted and left them outside. Should I be worried about the taco shape taking form on the 2?

chemistry

chemistry

They will have to be fine then, as you cant control nature. 😂 Just keep the soil moist, water in the morning, water a bigger patch than the seedlings need, maybe low humidity where you are at the moment that's causing the taco, or to much heat for such a young plant, mid day being the worst.

N

Ninimodz

They will have to be fine then, as you cant control nature. 😂 Just keep the soil moist, water in the morning, water a bigger patch than the seedlings need, maybe low humidity where you are at the moment that's causing the taco, or to much heat for such a young plant, mid day being the worst.
😂 wish we could have a vote for the weather at least. For now I'll just watch the weather closer, and take them inside or provide more shelter to move them under when it rains. I'm going to transplant all of the plants not in the ground, to a 5-gallon fabric pot either this week or next to help with the rain and drainage. Also I will increase the perlite percentage during this process. We get above 90 degree days with high humidity, and I've read a few articles about seaweed kelp extract helps with heat/drought resistance and overall increase in health for cannabis. Has anyone heard/used kelp, how'd it turn out?

Heywood

Heywood

Has anyone heard/used kelp, how'd it turn out?

Kelp is awesome for plants. I'm sure plenty of folks here use it. I use it on all of my grows.
If you get a kelp product, you may as well get one that also has fish incorporated in it.
Plants love it, but be aware it is a VERY strong smell while you mix it in with your water.
This particular one below I just grabbed off a shelf in Home Depot garden center for this year.
It also has molasses in it which helps feed the beneficial microbes in the soil. If you are doing an organic grow... this is a good thing.

Kelp

N

Ninimodz

Kelp is awesome for plants. I'm sure plenty of folks here use it. I use it on all of my grows.
If you get a kelp product, you may as well get one that also has fish incorporated in it.
Plants love it, but be aware it is a VERY strong smell while you mix it in with your water.
Thanks man, I'll have to keep some on standby for the heat waves and throughout the grow.

N

Ninimodz

My biggest plant was very droopy this morning, hopefully not due to overwatering because I watered them correctly for the first time. Till about 10% run off, I had no idea what that meant. Hopefully he recovers quickly, I lost 2 plants that were in the ground due to them not sprouting fast enough and growing the leaves rather than the stem and couldn't support itself.

N

Ninimodz

Yesterday after work, it seemed like all of my plants started taking the taco shape which really worried me, but today they look like they recovered except the tallest plant. She's still warped all over, im really hoping it doesn't affect the rest of the growth.

G

geemonty

be aware it is a VERY strong smell
I can attest to that!!!! I have used fish fertilizer for years in garden. It SMELLS!!!!! Don't use this indoors EVER... it will smell for days because I did it once years ago. I always smell like dead fish after mixing up a batch until I shower and change clothes.

N

Ninimodz

I can attest to that!!!! I have used fish fertilizer for years in garden. It SMELLS!!!!! Don't use this indoors EVER... it will smell for days because I did it once years ago. I always smell like dead fish after mixing up a batch until I shower and change clothes.
That might help during flowering to mask the smell from neighbors, also with the heat stress. We're getting 90+ degree days, these guys need more shade and support with the heat. It's forecasted to be a thunderstorm soon with that heat. Quite annoying weather recently, my biggest plant has really crispy true leaves probably because of the heat. I'm hoping it doesn't die. I've lost all but 1 in the ground currently, they took around 1 week to 2 to sprout, no stem strength and fell over.

G

geemonty

That might help during flowering to mask the smell from neighbors, also with the heat stress. We're getting 90+ degree days, these guys need more shade and support with the heat. It's forecasted to be a thunderstorm soon with that heat. Quite annoying weather recently, my biggest plant has really crispy true leaves probably because of the heat. I'm hoping it doesn't die. I've lost all but 1 in the ground currently, they took around 1 week to 2 to sprout, no stem strength and fell over.
I grew outside last summer I tried 3 plants. I lost 2 of the 3, the one most in the shade of my big mulberry is the only one that made it. To be fair I sort of positioned them in a way to test it. This summer planted them all within the "shade zone" I tested for last year. Hopefully they all make it I have 9 plants outside this year.

What are you using for a soil mix, just the FFOF and the perlite? I use something that looks similar for the aroids I grow indoors.

Last edited:
N

Ninimodz

I grew outside last summer I tried 3 plants. I lost 2 of the 3, the one most in the shade of my big mulberry is the only one that made it. To be fair I sort of positioned them in a way to test it. This summer planted them all within the "shade zone" I tested for last year. Hopefully they all make it I have 9 plants outside this year.

What are you using for a soil mix, just the FFOF and the perlite? I use something that looks similar for the aroids I grow indoors.
These plants are all in FFHF and perlite yes. I've just purchased 2 12qt bags of FFOF & FFHF. I'm going to transplant them into 3 gallon fabric pots with 1/3 FFOF, 1/3 FFHF, & 1/3 Perlite. I'll start feeding them kelp meal asap.

N

Ninimodz

Week 3, these girls have been planted since May 22nd. I think they're coming along nicely. I believe the pink cup just started the veg state. I was going to transplant them to 3-gallon gray fabric pots but I did not receive my shipment of soil (FFHF & FFOF 2-Bags each 12qt.). I have the perlite and pots just need soil. I also couldn't find any kelp meal close to me, it's on my to-do list. Other than that, I gave my largest plant away with crispy leaves. I am down to 6 total, and plan to give 3 more away to friends once they get closer to the flowering stage. I also need to put up a fence for my backyard to house these girls from my puppies.

Snapchat 692706280
Snapchat 1106802024
Snapchat 498061913
Snapchat 359327845
Snapchat 1620333
N

Ninimodz

21 days in, I've transplanted them into 3-gallon gray fabric pots into soil (mixed 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest, 1/3 Fox Farm Happy Frog, 1/3 Perlite). I have bugs, not sure what kind but I'm going to put some neem oil on them hopefully to stop them. I got a Ph/Moisture/Sunlight meter, a PPM Meter, and a microscope for bugs and trichromes. My water runoff PPM is about 1966, im unsure how healthy that is, should I look into this? I also have kelp meal coming for heat resistance. I'm worried about the 3rd & 4th picture plant because it looks too narrow and the bottom leaves are turning yellow. Any gener advice for the vegetative stage, outdoor?

Snapchat 144819130
Snapchat 293683361
Snapchat 1386680772
Snapchat 1904784718
Snapchat 1884532076
Snapchat 1851267165
Snapchat 1617975414
Snapchat 1775625048
Snapchat 9439948
Snapchat 1809272825
N

Ninimodz

I almost lost all my plants due to the heat over here. It's been 90+ and I forgot them in direct sunlight all day. Every single plant had severe tacoing of the leaves. I put Kelp Meal in the tops of the soil Tuesday and left them in the shade for Wednesday and Thursday. I was hoping that would let them recover for a bit and soak up the kelp before direct sunlight again. They seem to be recovering great from the heat. Tomorrow, while I'm home and watching them they will be outside with a mix between shade and direct sunlight all day. Tomorrow's water day also, that should help a little at least.

I also, need to get Neem Oil, I've noticed tiny white/yellowish spots on some of the leaves. I've heard many diagnosis about this, im going to assume they're bugs of some kind because these plants are outdoors. I also have a few holes in a few leaves that also suggest some kind of pest. Neem oil, I've also heard you have to be VERY carefully applying this to cannabis. Any tips, or stories for Neem Oil?

N

Ninimodz

I've topped the first plant (first 3 pics) on sunday (i think) and it picked up quickly growing. I'm limited on vertical space so all of these will some kind of training. Anyways that's it.

Snapchat 1241619631
Snapchat 427375939
Snapchat 1413750132
Snapchat 1327357535
Snapchat 398055438
Snapchat 2059055761
Snapchat 1777595316
Snapchat 942307806
Top Bottom