First Time Grow - Flowering Advise

• Thread starter Nerraw86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nerraw86

Nerraw86

Hi All,

I am a first time grower from South Africa.

Growing small amounts of cannabis for personal consumption is not illegal, nor is possessing a small amount. As such, it's not always easy to determine the strain of seeds you may have unless you buy auto flowering seeds - something I intend to do in the future.

I would like some advise on my plant, which I think based on the leaves is a sativa dominant strain.

I germinated the seed and planted the seedling on 25 October last year. In December I went away for three weeks and when I came back the plant was going through what I assumed was the stretch part of its vegetative phase.

The plant was dense with leaves, which I trimmed back to allow for air-flow and light. At the time, there were a few pistils developing at the node sites. It's been three weeks since I trimmed it back and it appears to be in the same state as it was when I trimmed it.

The plant is outdoors and gets full sun all day and is in complete darkness at night.

I feed it once a week with a multi-feed and water as an when necessary (its summer at the moment and we've been having a decent amount of rain).

I want to know if any more experienced growers have adivse on accelerating the flowering stage. I am worried that by trimming it, I switched it back to a veggie state just as it was starting to switch from flowering. If this is the case, will it flower at all or stay in a veggie state?

I have attached some pictures, albeit not great ones, to show you the plant.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

First time grow   flowering advise
First time grow   flowering advise 2
First time grow   flowering advise 3
First time grow   flowering advise 4
First time grow   flowering advise 5
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

genetics - is it more feminised, rather than auto-flower....etc - will determine its growth pattern. it is now where the photoperiod of outdoor season is shortening, thus eventually it would promote pre-flowering then flowering.

other than manipulating the shape of the plant, leave it alone, regular watering/feeding. it looks good.

if you want to force it into flowering, then you just gotta keep it in the dark for 12 hours daily (throw a bag over the plant, even).

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

genetics - is it more feminised, rather than auto-flower....etc - will determine its growth pattern. it is now where the photoperiod of outdoor season is shortening, thus eventually it would promote pre-flowering then flowering.

other than manipulating the shape of the plant, leave it alone, regular watering/feeding. it looks good.

if you want to force it into flowering, then you just gotta keep it in the dark for 12 hours daily (throw a bag over the plant, even).

Hey there,

Thanks for the response.

I don’t know much about the genetics of the plant. It’s most likely just an ordinary seed from a pollinated plant. Like I said, it seems to a sativa dominant plant.

Is feeding it once a week adequate?

Would putting a bin bag (black plastic bag) over it in the evening help, and if so, should I make small holes in it for air?

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

watering and feeding - depends on the potting/soil mix.

if feeding, then start at 1/4 full strength nutrients/fertilsier, then slowly build up to its maximum dosage. Water one week, feed next week, etc is typical routine. though i have fed flowering plants twice to each watering.

you've been feeding and watering it, and its happy with that routine, so stick to it. might want to change the nutrients, once it starts to pre-flower.

i think a garbage bag would do the job, but better if you can find a dark spot.

why force it, when the outdoor season is mid-summer, heading to autumn?

ps i like photos with pairs of feet...

Last edited:
Nerraw86

Nerraw86

Ok cool.

I’ll have to use the bag cos I don’t have a darker spot than where it is now, unless I put it in a dark room overnight which I don’t think it’s ideal.

One more thing, does the plant look like it’s ok, based on the pictures?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yes, the plants looks good, better than just plain OK. there's no blemishes, all the leaves etc looks healthy, you've done well.

it looks like its gonna be female. the hard work is ahead.....

instead of garbage bag, maybe a huge cardboard box to cover.

deep.dreaming

deep.dreaming

Ok cool.

I’ll have to use the bag cos I don’t have a darker spot than where it is now, unless I put it in a dark room overnight which I don’t think it’s ideal.

One more thing, does the plant look like it’s ok, based on the pictures?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Yes your plant looks great dude

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

Gha
yes, the plants looks good, better than just plain OK. there's no blemishes, all the leaves etc looks healthy, you've done well.

it looks like its gonna be female. the hard work is ahead.....

instead of garbage bag, maybe a huge cardboard box to cover.

Thanks, the box idea is actually quite a good one, I wouldn’t have thought of that.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Gha

Thanks, the box idea is actually quite a good one, I wouldn’t have thought of that.
box be better also from lack of condensation building on it over night,moisture is a enemy here ,how many day hours are there right now there?def looks sativa and that means a long flower time

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

box be better also from lack of condensation building on it over night,moisture is a enemy here ,how many day hours are there right now there?def looks sativa and that means a long flower time

So right now it’s the middle of summer so on average from sunrise to sunset you’re looking at about 14 hours give or take.

When you say long flowering time, how long do you think that would be?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

So right now it’s the middle of summer so on average from sunrise to sunset you’re looking at about 14 hours give or take.

When you say long flowering time, how long do you think that would be?
looking at them leaves about 12 to 14 maybe

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i wouldnt box or cover it unless it raining and then just to keep the rain off the buds,surely after any rain blowing the buds dry anyway,thats were one these leaf blowers come in so handy,hell mate if your in legal country,grow that damn thing into a tree,1 big ass tree is better than 5 small pots with a oz of flower on each,plus 4 more times the work,on that deck you could get a food size plant going

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

i wouldnt box or cover it unless it raining and then just to keep the rain off the buds,surely after any rain blowing the buds dry anyway,thats were one these leaf blowers come in so handy,hell mate if your in legal country,grow that damn thing into a tree,1 big ass tree is better than 5 small pots with a oz of flower on each,plus 4 more times the work,on that deck you could get a food size plant going
sativa plants go longer but oh well worth the wait,imo
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I look forward to it getting to the full flowering stage.

It already has a slight odour but I imagine that's only gonna get stronger as it starts to bloom.

So you think it should take another 12-14 weeks?

Lol, its a grey area - it is an it isn't illegal. If it weren't a grey area I would have a real tree going.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I look forward to it getting to the full flowering stage.

It already has a slight odour but I imagine that's only gonna get stronger as it starts to bloom.

So you think it should take another 12-14 weeks?

Lol, its a grey area - it is an it isn't illegal. If it weren't a grey area I would have a real tree going.
how many more days do you have over 12 hours a day? if it is flowering in 14 hour day,you have a auto

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

sativa plants go longer but oh well worth the wait,imo
how many more days do you have over 12 hours a day? if it is flowering in 14 hour day,you have a auto
so probably until April early May. Our winters here allow for almost 11 hours of sunlight and that’s June / July

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

so probably until April early May. Our winters here allow for almost 11 hours of sunlight and that’s June / July
yes sir,if nyou want toflower it your gonna have to take it inside and control lighting,other than that a bush gonna be on your door step

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

ll,
Well, let me try a box, I suppose it’s the best option I have
how big is your porch /deck? there is always the option of a small tent or a diy build with plywood to build a box,just make sure it tall,that one plant would do great in a 2x2 tent as long as it was at least 7ft tall,sativas are usally tall and lanky unless you train them,you could start to top and slow the stretch for the sun,but id let it go myself

Top Bottom