First time grow looking for advice

• Thread starter Buzzking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzking

Buzzking

So thought I would post a thread and see if I can get some advice. First time grow in a 4x4 tent with RDWC system from PA Hydro. Have a Kind X750 LED about 18-20 inches above canopy set at 100% full spectrum 0% UV. Temps in tent range from 70-72 F at night up to around 80 during light on. Water temp in reservoir ranges fro 70-78 F running a live system with tap water and Orca added. PH holds steady at 6.0 once PH’d down. Plants have been in tent 1 3 weeks now and seem to be doing good, 2 Black Berry Kush, a Zweet Inzanity, and a 10th Planet + GPS that seems to be a bit of a runt. All started from seed on 4/1/22. Changed water out a week ago after running for 2 weeks with initial setup. Using General Hydroponics 3 part series EC currently at 1.9 thinking about bumping it up but not sure. Have 1 plant showing some leaf burn so looking for advice there? Also how much trimming should I do at this point? I’ve cut a few fan leaves just to open things up and give the colas some air. Thanks for in advance for any tips and advice! ☮️
First time grow looking for advice
First time grow looking for advice 2
First time grow looking for advice 3
First time grow looking for advice 4
First time grow looking for advice 5
First time grow looking for advice 6
First time grow looking for advice 7

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So thought I would post a thread and see if I can get some advice. First time grow in a 4x4 tent with RDWC system from PA Hydro. Have a Kind X750 LED about 18-20 inches above canopy set at 100% full spectrum 0% UV. Temps in tent range from 70-72 F at night up to around 80 during light on. Water temp in reservoir ranges fro 70-78 F running a live system with tap water and Orca added. PH holds steady at 6.0 once PH’d down. Plants have been in tent 1 3 weeks now and seem to be doing good, 2 Black Berry Kush, a Zweet Inzanity, and a 10th Planet + GPS that seems to be a bit of a runt. All started from seed on 4/1/22. Changed water out a week ago after running for 2 weeks with initial setup. Using General Hydroponics 3 part series EC currently at 1.9 thinking about bumping it up but not sure. Have 1 plant showing some leaf burn so looking for advice there? Also how much trimming should I do at this point? I’ve cut a few fan leaves just to open things up and give the colas some air. Thanks for in advance for any tips and advice! ☮️ View attachment 1240898View attachment 1240899View attachment 1240900View attachment 1240901View attachment 1240902View attachment 1240903View attachment 1240904
Good start so far but i would back the light off a bit. They are showing stress from it. Try to keeo res tenps more stable and cannabis does like a degree of stability. I find 72f to be the magic number in terms of water temps.

What is the source water ph and ppm? And EC of about 1.2-1. is about all tou should ever need to feed. More nutes does not equate to more growth infact the opposite is often true. Same for light i often see many over driving the plants and it casuing stunting and damage

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

How often are you changing the reservoirs water and nutrients? It’s recommended changing it once a week and you should also add an air stone for oxygen. Also your roots cannot be fully submerged they need air on top.

Buzzking

Buzzking

Good start so far but i would back the light off a bit. They are showing stress from it. Try to keeo res tenps more stable and cannabis does like a degree of stability. I find 72f to be the magic number in terms of water temps.

What is the source water ph and ppm? And EC of about 1.2-1. is about all tou should ever need to feed. More nutes does not equate to more growth infact the opposite is often true. Same for light i often see many over driving the plants and it casuing stunting and damage
Ok thanks for the reply and advice. Dropping PH now. Regarding light are you saying raise the height or dial back the full spectrum to 75% or both?

Buzzking

Buzzking

Source water EC starts at around 0.4-0.5 EC and the PH at 7.3

Buzzking

Buzzking

How often are you changing the reservoirs water and nutrients? It’s recommended changing it once a week and you should also add an air stone for oxygen. Also your roots cannot be fully submerged they need air on top.
Did 100% change after 2 weeks but could bump that to once a week if needed. Haven’t figured out how to get water below net pots with this system. It’s from PA Hydro the 8 gallon mini system. It is about an inch up from the bottom of pot. Each container does has its own air stone.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Water one inch below the net pot and yea they can be fully submerged. Roots absorb oxygen from the water thats why aeration and surface agitation is important . Easy way to calculate res changes is to change once you have added back the actual water volume that the system holds

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Did 100% change after 2 weeks but could bump that to once a week if needed. Haven’t figured out how to get water below net pots with this system. It’s from PA Hydro the 8 gallon mini system. It is about an inch up from the bottom of pot. Each container does has its own air stone.
You can fully submerge them is the starter plug is holding to much water which leads to poor gas exchange. Ill look the system up later but typical you lower the volume if the system to control the water height

Buzzking

Buzzking

Lowered the PH to 5.6 this morning been holding steady all day. Raised lights to ~ 21” above canopy. EC still at 1.9 as I didn’t want to pull reservoir water out add a bunch of tap water and have to put even more PH down in to get back to 5.6. Thinking I’d wait till next water change but if roots in too much water maybe I should act now? Do I need a 1” gap or is this acceptable? What’s the recommendation on frequency and amount of water changes, full change out or partial? Roots look decent but maybe a little brown? Other than that think they are looking happy.
0267383B C7B5 4571 9685 C715730FD5DC
62F1CA7E 65B8 4E21 B80F 831E3F0B55D0

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

Try just one thing and wait a few days to see if your plants respond well. It’s more confusing to change several things at once because you can over fix or cause a new issue to develop. Note your progress and trust your instincts, and don’t worry about failure just keep learning :)
On the change out, here’s the quote and link:
  • Minerals will build up in the reservoir and your plants may not use all the nutrients equally, so you’ll definitely want to change the entire reservoir of water at least once every 7 days.
How to Manage the Water Reservoir

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lowered the PH to 5.6 this morning been holding steady all day. Raised lights to ~ 21” above canopy. EC still at 1.9 as I didn’t want to pull reservoir water out add a bunch of tap water and have to put even more PH down in to get back to 5.6. Thinking I’d wait till next water change but if roots in too much water maybe I should act now? Do I need a 1” gap or is this acceptable? What’s the recommendation on frequency and amount of water changes, full change out or partial? Roots look decent but maybe a little brown? Other than that think they are looking happy. View attachment 1241229View attachment 1241230
Change your res once you add back the actual volume of water you start with. Changing weekly is a waste and does not account for the volume of water you have to work with. At the start it may be 3 weeks in the end it may be a few days depending on the volume of your system.

The changes i gave you are not test parameters ut rather well known ideals and you should make them all. Just add back water for now. Ill link a thread in the next post of a simple version of my method. I generally do a 50% change out but i wont get into that method because i know ill have a million questions on it and ill be doing an article on it in the coming months anyhow once i release my systems.

That looks fine for now

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Read this too. But the since tgis post and new products on the market i recommend DEFGAURD instead of either hydrogaurd or southern ag fungicide. In coco and soil southern ag fungicide is still the way to go.

Buzzking

Buzzking

So, time to defoliate or should I just wait till I’m almost ready to switch to flower? I’ve done some light trimming so far taking out yellow or spotted fan leaves and to open up on the bottom to get some airflow and expose colas. I know there are many opinions on this depending on style of grow so open for suggestions….
7B194B10 3736 470C B98F AA58579FA208
D2D1E7AC 2099 48FD 8B3D 0DA1C69393F7
1860A923 83BB 4B15 BADB 77D171C133B3

Top Bottom