First time grow looking for advice

• Thread starter Buzzking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzking

Buzzking

So thought I would post a thread and see if I can get some advice. First time grow in a 4x4 tent with RDWC system from PA Hydro. Have a Kind X750 LED about 18-20 inches above canopy set at 100% full spectrum 0% UV. Temps in tent range from 70-72 F at night up to around 80 during light on. Water temp in reservoir ranges fro 70-78 F running a live system with tap water and Orca added. PH holds steady at 6.0 once PH’d down. Plants have been in tent 1 3 weeks now and seem to be doing good, 2 Black Berry Kush, a Zweet Inzanity, and a 10th Planet + GPS that seems to be a bit of a runt. All started from seed on 4/1/22. Changed water out a week ago after running for 2 weeks with initial setup. Using General Hydroponics 3 part series EC currently at 1.9 thinking about bumping it up but not sure. Have 1 plant showing some leaf burn so looking for advice there? Also how much trimming should I do at this point? I’ve cut a few fan leaves just to open things up and give the colas some air. Thanks for in advance for any tips and advice! ☮️ View attachment 1240898View attachment 1240899View attachment 1240900View attachment 1240901View attachment 1240902View attachment 1240903View attachment 1240904

B

Bubblenutz

Hey buzzing, I'm running the exact Pahydroponics system in a 4x4 tent and I'm currently in week 3 of flower (girl scout cookies from sunwest genetics). I use a 55 gallon drum with RO water to mix nutrients ( also GH 3 part with silica blast and hydroguard, calmag ). I'm at 800 ppm or 1.6 EC. When I mix nutrients I'm using the light feed chart for veg and medium for flower ( I'm mixing about 25 gallons to fill it back up and I have the bottom drain kit so your amount may vary). There is a rdwc feed schedule called the Lucas formula you can look up using only micro and bloom.
I'm scrogging so I removed everything under the net before veg then defoliated last night. Oh, and GH nutrients (the micro) will stain your roots a brownish red color. Don't be afraid to email Gary from Pahydroponics, he has helped with some issues I've had in the past.

IMG 20220504 225531974 HDR
Buzzking

Buzzking

Hey buzzing, I'm running the exact Pahydroponics system in a 4x4 tent and I'm currently in week 3 of flower (girl scout cookies from sunwest genetics). I use a 55 gallon drum with RO water to mix nutrients ( also GH 3 part with silica blast and hydroguard, calmag ). I'm at 800 ppm or 1.6 EC. When I mix nutrients I'm using the light feed chart for veg and medium for flower ( I'm mixing about 25 gallons to fill it back up and I have the bottom drain kit so your amount may vary). There is a rdwc feed schedule called the Lucas formula you can look up using only micro and bloom.
I'm scrogging so I removed everything under the net before veg then defoliated last night. Oh, and GH nutrients (the micro) will stain your roots a brownish red color. Don't be afraid to email Gary from Pahydroponics, he has helped with some issues I've had in the past.
Hey Bubblenutz, thanks for the reply. Yeah looks like we have a very similar setup except you’re running the RO water as opposed to tap here. I had heard about the Lucas method but after I had purchased a gallon of all 3 parts of GH so figured I’d use it up. A yes figured some of the browning of roots was coming the Bloom.
I agree on Gary being helpful, usually responds within 24 hours of any question being asked.
Would love to chat with you some more regarding your set up and scrogging technique. Also on your change outs, 25 gallons seems on the low side considering it took almost 34 to fill the system at start up. How far under the net pots is your water? Definitely keep in touch, can’t wait to see how yours turn out, I’m only about 3 weeks behind ya! ☮️

B

Bubblenutz

Hey Bubblenutz, thanks for the reply. Yeah looks like we have a very similar setup except you’re running the RO water as opposed to tap here. I had heard about the Lucas method but after I had purchased a gallon of all 3 parts of GH so figured I’d use it up. A yes figured some of the browning of roots was coming the Bloom.
I agree on Gary being helpful, usually responds within 24 hours of any question being asked.
Would love to chat with you some more regarding your set up and scrogging technique. Also on your change outs, 25 gallons seems on the low side considering it took almost 34 to fill the system at start up. How far under the net pots is your water? Definitely keep in touch, can’t wait to see how yours turn out, I’m only about 3 weeks behind ya! ☮️
IMG 20220426 151316664 HDR

Yeah, I think I'm at the bottom or maybe an inch up. I Think the discrepancy is in the volume that the massive roots displace.

D

Dugplug

So thought I would post a thread and see if I can get some advice. First time grow in a 4x4 tent with RDWC system from PA Hydro. Have a Kind X750 LED about 18-20 inches above canopy set at 100% full spectrum 0% UV. Temps in tent range from 70-72 F at night up to around 80 during light on. Water temp in reservoir ranges fro 70-78 F running a live system with tap water and Orca added. PH holds steady at 6.0 once PH’d down. Plants have been in tent 1 3 weeks now and seem to be doing good, 2 Black Berry Kush, a Zweet Inzanity, and a 10th Planet + GPS that seems to be a bit of a runt. All started from seed on 4/1/22. Changed water out a week ago after running for 2 weeks with initial setup. Using General Hydroponics 3 part series EC currently at 1.9 thinking about bumping it up but not sure. Have 1 plant showing some leaf burn so looking for advice there? Also how much trimming should I do at this point? I’ve cut a few fan leaves just to open things up and give the colas some air. Thanks for in advance for any tips and advice! ☮️ View attachment 1240898View attachment 1240899View attachment 1240900View attachment 1240901View attachment 1240902View attachment 1240903View attachment 1240904
I would fim that and start tucking leaves in

Buzzking

Buzzking

So here we are week 8 of veg. Gave the girls a good haircut and “chiropractic adjustment”today getting ready to flip to flower in the next day or two. Probably could have taken a few more of the lower branches but the ones I left had reached the canopy so thinking more is better at this point. The 10th planet + GPS front left is still stunted but she’s vigorous so looking forward to seeing how she turns out.
Open to any and all suggestions or input, thanks for looking.
PS probably should have started this in grow diaries, can’t figure out how to move it now.
E1F7EE16 88C2 4F0A A7F3 1CED03892528
7C3A21E5 E42B 4548 BC39 0209124D1F25
E4B325E1 FA43 4B2F A34C 2053CC52CCCE
31CF8E25 EE05 4255 A3E1 A96108DEBB5E
7553DBF3 367B 4A33 ACCF DD36952EDEF4

Buzzking

Buzzking

Week 3 of flower. Still struggling to keep the Zweet Inzanity under control. Should have cut more of the lowers off earlier and LST the mains so they stay in line with the Blackberry Kush on the right. Live and learn. 10th Planet still struggling to keep up but hopefully will be good smoke. As always any input appreciated. Thanks for looking! ☮️
660CA860 5B9D 445D AA04 4667E1DD662F
7C896F14 6487 4997 9350 955B430C0FB3
8B0342D9 24DE 4CE9 8558 193413D4B83F
05826859 93B9 49BD 8DA0 F014E62ED0AB
6BD93930 9541 4E52 94CC 7206476F3A01
DC45D8F4 17D4 43C6 B0BA 0D510F24DE6F

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Week 3 of flower. Still struggling to keep the Zweet Inzanity under control. Should have cut more of the lowers off earlier and LST the mains so they stay in line with the Blackberry Kush on the right. Live and learn. 10th Planet still struggling to keep up but hopefully will be good smoke. As always any input appreciated. Thanks for looking! ☮️View attachment 1253145View attachment 1253144View attachment 1253146View attachment 1253147View attachment 1253149View attachment 1253148
Beautiful

Buzzking

Buzzking

Week 4 things are settling down and main kolas starting to form. Had to raise the light several times this week still could go up more but don’t want the Blackberry Kush to keep stretching. Anyhow, thanks to all for looking advice always welcome.

Guess I should have started this in the grow diary section. @Aquaman any way you can pick this thread up and move it?
D85444EB 738B 4280 BFFA 3F52DF2A7258
7395F34E A33E 4E34 9AF2 B7586F61716E
E4BC4BC5 EA85 44A0 9246 0184F3E4E3F3
F298A374 2BCB 4AEE 991D 904492920CA0
0FB0A90D 3A71 4A59 A771 94BFAD6AFB55
E5CF969A B1A9 4C22 9BA2 419F47F535AE
1A2988BE 6DC0 45BB BFEA 279215C6EC63

Buzzking

Buzzking

Week 5 in the books and starting to see signs of root rot. The 10th Planet runt has it the worst and the others a little less. Not sure if anything can be done at this point or if it’s better to just ride it out and take what I can get then try to resolve issues on the next run. If it can be addressed what steps need to be taken and any ideas on how to prevent it in the future? Would be interested in anyones opinion. All in all the buds are getting dense, super sticky and seem healthy overall so think I’ll have some decent smoke.
A0C1C02F 1EBC 481D 8384 58E192DFD4D5
5A040FC7 282F 4ED7 8BD8 460551279C63
7485AB0C 27EE 4186 9BBE BBB31EB7C329
CDB8D67D 1DA7 44A4 853E F47398119A49
BE04B373 DA25 404C B0B1 1D693238F4B8
7906F837 5ECA 4E0A B1B3 77A44B10703B
8F24DBA4 A5CE 41B1 9EB3 46FF6D56E0F7
D113FE3A C2C5 4038 AD78 644D0A884AE5
99CA6342 E1F6 4C9D A099 49185599FBF9

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey dude, I read the thread thru and I'm caught up now. Thanks for PMing me, not sure how I missed this thread.

As I was scrolling thru the pics I started going THIS IS GREAT and every time you posted a pic of the roots, I would start uh-oh, then a bit more, then more. If you look from the beginning to now, the roots are significantly darker and stringy-er if that is a word, kinda like twine.

I see that you added Orca, was that it for the beneficial stuff? How much and how often? I assume you are using tap water, are you dechlorinating at all?

Obviously at this point we are gonna finish out this grow best we can, but we will need to at least arrest that brown sludge if not eliminate it, because you need several more weeks before harvest and those roots are going to be needed.

This is really great for a first go and you should be proud, you will get a really nice harvest for sure. Lets figure out what went wrong and fix it next time. I Think something killed at least some of your orca (chlorine in the water, temps too high, something weird) and it could not win the race against the bad bacteria. Easy fix next time.

Buzzking

Buzzking

Hey dude, I read the thread thru and I'm caught up now. Thanks for PMing me, not sure how I missed this thread.

As I was scrolling thru the pics I started going THIS IS GREAT and every time you posted a pic of the roots, I would start uh-oh, then a bit more, then more. If you look from the beginning to now, the roots are significantly darker and stringy-er if that is a word, kinda like twine.

I see that you added Orca, was that it for the beneficial stuff? How much and how often? I assume you are using tap water, are you dechlorinating at all?

Obviously at this point we are gonna finish out this grow best we can, but we will need to at least arrest that brown sludge if not eliminate it, because you need several more weeks before harvest and those roots are going to be needed.

This is really great for a first go and you should be proud, you will get a really nice harvest for sure. Lets figure out what went wrong and fix it next time. I Think something killed at least some of your orca (chlorine in the water, temps too high, something weird) and it could not win the race against the bad bacteria. Easy fix next time.
Hi Moe! Thanks for taking a look and for the positive comments. Yes i am using tap water and was told but obviously the wrong person I did not need to dechlorinate. Only using Orca I add 1ml per gallon during my weekly water changes. Water temps never get above 70-71f during the day and at night around 68-69f. Do I need to nuke with H2O2 or can I ride it out and just and more beneficial stuff and start dechlorinating?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hi Moe! Thanks for taking a look and for the positive comments. Yes i am using tap water and was told but obviously the wrong person I did not need to dechlorinate. Only using Orca I add 1ml per gallon during my weekly water changes. Water temps never get above 70-71f during the day and at night around 68-69f. Do I need to nuke with H2O2 or can I ride it out and just and more beneficial stuff and start dechlorinating?
Sorry I'm confused I thought your res temps got up to 78.

So chlorine is put in the water specifically to kill microbes. Otherwise our pipes would be festering pools of who knows what. So it stands to reason that it will also kill the bacteria that you don't want it to, right?

This is opinion only - it is my feeling that the bad stuff grows faster than the good stuff. It takes about 45 days for a proper BB colony to establish and reach a point where you are fully protected. I've seen root rot creep up in a week. For that reason, you need to really inoculate the system well right up front to give the BB a head start. That said, I don't even do that any more, I get the colony established then never let it die, even transferring it on aquarium bio media between res's to start up a new system.

It's not hard to get rid of chlorine, just an extra step and why not?

I think at this point it will be difficult to take the whole net pot to a sink - you have 2 nets in there to contend with. But take a look at this thread and let me know what you think you can do:

Funny, second time today I have linked that thread.

Buzzking

Buzzking

Sorry I'm confused I thought your res temps got up to 78.

So chlorine is put in the water specifically to kill microbes. Otherwise our pipes would be festering pools of who knows what. So it stands to reason that it will also kill the bacteria that you don't want it to, right?

This is opinion only - it is my feeling that the bad stuff grows faster than the good stuff. It takes about 45 days for a proper BB colony to establish and reach a point where you are fully protected. I've seen root rot creep up in a week. For that reason, you need to really inoculate the system well right up front to give the BB a head start. That said, I don't even do that any more, I get the colony established then never let it die, even transferring it on aquarium bio media between res's to start up a new system.

It's not hard to get rid of chlorine, just an extra step and why not?

I think at this point it will be difficult to take the whole net pot to a sink - you have 2 nets in there to contend with. But take a look at this thread and let me know what you think you can do:

Funny, second time today I have linked that thread.
Wow shit wish I could of nipped this in the bud sooner. The small one front left could be done a suppose since it’s smaller but the other 3 pulling them out of the buckets and into a sink would be a chore. Mostly due to their size and stickiness. Afraid I might do some damage there. Have a 4 pot system going, 5 with the reservoir, so about 30-35 gallons of water there too. What do you think, worth the effort and possibly shock to the plants at this point? Can I just treat it heavy and hope to keep it at bay another few weeks to get me to harvest? Started week 6 of flower yesterday…

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wow shit wish I could of nipped this in the bud sooner. The small one front left could be done a suppose since it’s smaller but the other 3 pulling them out of the buckets and into a sink would be a chore. Mostly due to their size and stickiness. Afraid I might do some damage there. Have a 4 pot system going, 5 with the reservoir, so about 30-35 gallons of water there too. What do you think, worth the effort and possibly shock to the plants at this point? Can I just treat it heavy and hope to keep it at bay another few weeks to get me to harvest? Started week 6 of flower yesterday…
At this point ride it out. You will be ok

Buzzking

Buzzking

At this point ride it out. You will be ok
Ok. I’ll definitely dechlorinate, suppose I can find some tablets that are used in aquariums right? Should just keep using the Orca and kick up the amount to help add more BB and or add other products slow the rot? Is Orca just as good or the same as Hydroguard?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Is that the great white Orca? If so they recommend 5ml/10 gal in their hydro chart. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-2d63-49c8-8009-cc311e69a695.pdf?v=1636744932

Top Bottom