First time grow using DWC

• Thread starter Chasev89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chasev89

Chasev89

Hello all I’m new here. I recently started growing my first marijuana plant (or any plant). I bought some seeds from a local dispensary here and then went ahead and convinced the wife to let me get the spider farmer SF1000 2’x2’ grow tent kit. Best investment ever :). Definitely started me off on the right foot. For my DWC system I just bought a 5 gallon bucket, painted it black. Went to pet-smart and got the air pump, large air stone and hose. Made all the holes and put it all together. Inside I have ionic grow nutrients and orca beneficial bacteria. I’m now 20 days into my grow from seed.
First time grow using dwc
First time grow using dwc 2
First time grow using dwc 3
First time grow using dwc 4
First time grow using dwc 5
First time grow using dwc 6
First time grow using dwc 7

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

Looking good and healthy keep going. I only recommend switch next grow to rockwool because no contamination risk versus others live media but they working fine too so no problem if you like them more. Water temp good and beneficial bacteria and no root issues coming thats the key. 🙂

Chasev89

Chasev89

Looking good and healthy keep going. I only recommend switch next grow to rockwool because no contamination risk versus others live media but they working fine too so no problem if you like them more. Water temp good and beneficial bacteria and no root issues coming thats the key. 🙂
Thank you. When I started my grow I struggled to find any kind of media for my hydro locally. There was some kind of shortage where I’m at. I settled in river rock that I soaked in vinegar and boiled. It’s definitely done the job so far but I really wanted the clay pebbles. I germinated right into the rooter plug that was already in its final home.

Chasev89

Chasev89

Morning day 21- just keeps going strong. No real noticeable issues.
D8AF39A6 3A97 4D4B AE81 3B9C224284F6

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So im going to recommend ditching that cool mist thing and ill give you too many reasons on way.

Hydro has airstones that push air up through the net pot. This air is blasted through the water first.

High humidity is really for clones that cant pull water due to no roots.

Roots sitting in water dont have an issue pulling up water when compared to sitting in dirt.

It takes up space and sucks refilling.

High humidity during flowering will cause budrot.

Anyways. . i think you get it. I vegged in winter at 30% humidity just fine. Ive ran multiple hydro systems just fine.

Heres a vid of my setup if your wanted to be sure.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Also bring your room temps up to 78f and wrap that bucket in a towel to keep your water temps from heating up.

Your leafs look heavy and dark. To me they look like they are having a hard time transpiring. You can use an ir gun and set your leaf temps at 76-78.

Chasev89

Chasev89

Also bring your room temps up to 78f and wrap that bucket in a towel to keep your water temps from heating up.

Your leafs look heavy and dark. To me they look like they are having a hard time transpiring. You can use an ir gun and set your leaf temps at 76-78.
I mean in all fairness on the leaves the light had been on for ten minutes lol

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I mean in all fairness on the leaves the light had been on for ten minutes lol
Yea that wont give transpiration symptoms though. Its just hard to explain why, but when i see the temps right next to it it explains it. Like its slowed your growth dramatically. Your off to a great start. . just need to get them temps up asap. Id say removing that cool mist unit will also help drop temps. Somewhere on her i have pics of my tent with one in it. . never again.

Chasev89

Chasev89

Yea that wont give transpiration symptoms though. Its just hard to explain why, but when i see the temps right next to it it explains it. Like its slowed your growth dramatically. Your off to a great start. . just need to get them temps up asap. Id say removing that cool mist unit will also help drop temps. Somewhere on her i have pics of my tent with one in it. . never again.
I will keep a closer eye on it. But early morning when the lights kick on(it’s been chilly two days in Denver) the temps stay at 69-70 with the house temp. When the lights are on the tent temp sits at 79 usually. I did run the humidifier last night so it probably doesn’t help with your saying about the leaves. I always post a pic first thing in the morning and then one when I get home from work in the evening. So it gives a good 12 hour snapshot.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

Thank you. When I started my grow I struggled to find any kind of media for my hydro locally. There was some kind of shortage where I’m at. I settled in river rock that I soaked in vinegar and boiled. It’s definitely done the job so far but I really wanted the clay pebbles. I germinated right into the rooter plug that was already in its final home.
Shortage doing fine. I use nft so little bit different than dwc, no clay pebbles or air pump (only water pump) i just like rockwool cause easy to use and contamination risk. Watch out when you flip 12/12 light they can stretch hella in water like 3-4x more depends on strain and pheno. 🙂

Chasev89

Chasev89

Shortage doing fine. I use nft so little bit different than dwc, no clay pebbles or air pump (only water pump) i just like rockwool cause easy to use and contamination risk. Watch out when you flip 12/12 light they can stretch hella in water like 3-4x more depends on strain and pheno. 🙂
Thanks for the heads up! When should I make that switch or is it my best judgment? Because today is exactly 3 weeks from seed

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thanks for the heads up! When should I make that switch or is it my best judgment? Because today is exactly 3 weeks from seed
3 weeks is perfect to flip. I wouldnt go any longer.

I vegged for 3 weeks, then took these photos. Pretty good blue dream phenos on the right, soso phenos of sour diesel on the left. This is week 3 from seed, then week 5 from seed. 2 weeks apart in the photos.

I had to cut them flat or they was gonna go through my light.

Rsw 546cg true
Rsw 320cg truem
HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

I dont know how much space you have, looking pics i think not very large so i think flipping now or about few days gonna be great. I have 80x80x180cm tent and 2 nft 20l tank size both and 2-3 weeks is max what i can veg so it dont become overgrowed but depends again strain and pheno how they stretch. Scrog is good help too get nice canopy. These pics show you little bit that stretch and i flipped after 2 week veg. This strain stretched very much and was hard to manage canopy even with scrog. But strain what ive grow now havent stretch so much but its 90% indica.
Photo 1: Flipped 12/12
Photo 2: 1 week later
Photo 3: 2 week later
Photo 4: 3 week later
Photo 5: 4 week later no stretch anymore
D15
D20
D3
D11 2

Latest posts

Top Bottom