First time grow, what do the pros think?

• Thread starter Budsfine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budsfine

Hello everyone, this site has helped me alot for this first grow so I wanted to see what you folks think about the way it's turning out. I have a 600 watt HID with a carbon filter attached and a good fan pulling through the hood, I am growing in Happy Frog soil that I amended with perlite and vermiculite and I am growing 8 Green Crack girls from MSNL fem seeds in a 5x8 grow room. I attempted a SOG grow but I let them veg too long due to several slow growers, I flipped to flower after 15 days from the seeds sprouting. My shortest plant was 11 inches tall and the tallest was 19 inches the day I started 12/12 light.

I knew they were gonna stretch but not as much as the 3 tall girls did. That 19 incher is now a little over 6 feet and the shortys are about 4 feet I would say and they were flipped on October 1st. Two of them now have the top of the plant well above my light and I just left them that way figuring I would just lose part of the top cola and I didn't have any good alternatives for getting them back under the light.

I made a few mistakes as would be expected but they seem to look good now and they're close to harvest, probably 2 more weeks as I want to harvest before I get many amber trichs. I'm looking for that good uplifting and happy high which seems to be missing from the weed I've been buying for the last couple years (only been smoking that long) and I figure if you want to be assured of the quality high you want then you better grow it yourself.

I gave them too much of the Fox Grow Big during veg and also started in way too small pots and had to repot twice, one repot was during the second week of flower but I was careful and the girls didn't seem to notice at all. Looking at my pics do you think the mistakes shorted me on quality or quantity?
First time grow what do the pros think
First time grow what do the pros think 2
First time grow what do the pros think 3
First time grow what do the pros think 4
First time grow what do the pros think 5
First time grow what do the pros think 6
First time grow what do the pros think 7
First time grow what do the pros think 8
Quality is my main concern and I plan to do a proper dry and cure process as I have read that the finished buds are affected a great amount by how they're dried and more so by curing. Almost forgot that I've been running a dehumidifier for the last few days to get the humidity as low as possible to boost resin/trichome growth.

I think they look OK but this is my first grow and I really only know what I've read on this site. Any input, good or bad, is appreciated.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Looks good. I played the waiting game this run & ran into the same problem. Your stretchy ones have a more sativa background. You can do a little bending to get them back under the light but dont get too crazy & snap them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Look healthy. Way to quality starts with keeping them healthy and letting them go long enough to be truly done.

And next time you can bend or top plants to keep the canopy even. That will also increase even quality. And yield.

B

Budsfine

Thanks for the words guys. I tried to bend the tallest one and I did indeed snap it but not too bad I guess, it's still doing fine. It broke similar to what would be done for supercropping, or from what I've read on the web about supercropping. It broke about 16 inches from the top so it's still holding itself upright without any support. I will say that when it snapped it scared me quite a bit.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Hahaha yeah bending stems can be a little nerve wracking. Massage it, squeeze it, roll it, two inches up & down & ever so slightly motivate it to lean over. I like to push it over my index & squeeze/roll with my thumb or the other way around to prevent it from really snapping.

B

Budsfine

I appreciate the kind comments. I certainly learned a lot with this first one and look forward to getting started on my next one. I haven't determined what strain I wanna grow next but I know I want something that stays shorter than this did and still gives an uplifting happy high. I'll probably go with another sativa heavy hybrid although from what I've read the idea that all sativas are energetic head highs and indicas are mostly couch lock body highs has been debunked lately.

Top Bottom