First time grower - auto NL, Blue dream, Froot

• Thread starter Butterdog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Butterdog

Hello everyone, first time indoor grower here! I grew my first outdoor plants this summer and had some decent results so now I am of course hooked on growing and need to try my hand at indoor! I germinated the seeds in water for 12 hrs and then in a wet paper towel for between 24-36 hrs prior to planting. I am currently on day 2-3 post sprouting (depending on plant) .

My setup:
tent
: 32"x32"
light: 150W LED, 2.8 μmol/J, with dimmer
substrate: 70% coco, 30% perlite (Mother Earth Coco + Perlite Mix)
container: 5/gal fabric bag
light distance: 28", currently set to 60%, light meter reading 350 PPFD at the level of the soil (using photone app)
water: reverse osmosis (pH 6.0)
nutrients: none used yet
plants: Northern lights auto, Blue dream auto, Froot by the Foot auto (all ordered from Seedsman)
seed or clone: all 3 started from seed and planted in final container (5 gal fabric bag)
ventilation: 4" inline fan currently running on level 2/10 24hrs/day
circulatory fan: 6 inch (currently not running)
tent temp: avg 75 degrees (67-81)
humidity: 53% (however plants are currently under humidity domes)
substrate ph: 6.8

First time grower   auto nl blue dream froot 4
I am currently using half bottles as humidity tents. They are removed in the picture to show the plants.

First time grower   auto nl blue dream froot 3
This is the Northern lights that emerged 2 days ago. I noticed the yellow Cotyledon leaf this morning. I have watered each day with 10mL of water. When I removed the seed from the paper towel the root was a bit stuck to the paper towel and I do believe that it was a bit damaged during removing and planting.

First time grower   auto nl blue dream froot
This is the Froot by the foot. This also sprouted 2 days ago. Watering has been 10mL each day.

First time grower   auto nl blue dream froot 2
This is the Blue dream which sprouted 1 day ago. This also has received 10mL of water each day.

I am not so sure these seedlings are looking healthy, so any feedback would be appreciated. I am especially concerned with the yellow leaf on the Northern lights.
Should I remove the humidity domes? should I add a humidifier during the seedling stage?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'd say it's all good now remove the domes. The seedlings look great.
You need to have the interior fan running now. Not on the seedlings but close enough that the seedlings jiggle in the breeze.
Your seedlings look great! What are you thinking about feeding them?

I see that you have a PH pen. Do you have an EC Pen and a ppm pen?
If not. You need to get them asap your gong to need them.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
There looking fine
No need for the hats no more there rooted well by the looks of it. Don’t worry about the yellow Cotyledon leaf as long as the true leafs ( two ones emerging ) are green your good
The Cotyledon leaves fall off there not true leaves.

Great post btw you added everything someone might ask 👍 lol ^ we posted at the same time.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
You need to have the interior fan running now. Not on the seedlings but close enough that the seedlings jiggle in the breeze.

Doesn’t that depend of if he feeds organically. If he does there’s no need

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

When growing in a tent utilizing available space is important. This is how you keep your plants short with lots of nice top colas.
When you have something like this mother plant. Rather than cutting clones. Flip her and every one of those little shoots will produce a nice top for you.
I fills up the tent and keeps a nice uniform canopy.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
There was one thing I noticed that I forgot to ask about witch was the ro water is there a reason is your tap water no good or something. Normally Your tap water will contain things your plants will want

B

Butterdog

Thank you for the quick response, glad to hear my concerns are unwarranted! I will remove the domes and get the fan going.

I do have an EC pen and a ppm pen.

Feeding: I have a two part nutrient that I purchased from Vivosun. Base A (4-0-1) Base B(1-4-2). I planned on using this as a base and supplementing along the way. I am not sure what I would be using as supplementation, but I figured I had some time still to educate myself.

I should note that I am not attached to using this nutrient base if for some reason it is not recommended.

Water type: I am using the RO water because I have it available already in our house and I was under the impression that was the gold standard for indoor plants. We have relatively good quality tap water in our area, so if I should stick with the tap water I am all in. That makes it easier for me as the location of the RO water supply is not convenient to the garden.

B

Butterdog

There was one thing I noticed that I forgot to ask about witch was the ro water is there a reason is your tap water no good or something. Normally Your tap water will contain things your plants will want
using RO because I have it in the house and thought that was the best. I understand where you are coming from in regard to the RO water removing minerals, etc.... are you recommending tap water?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

using RO because I have it in the house and thought that was the best. I understand where you are coming from in regard to the RO water removing minerals, etc.... are you recommending tap water?
Rain water is always best. Then well off gassed city, well water.

Choppr

Choppr

Your in Coco/Hydro! Use the RO! As Coco/Hydro Growers Our Soil is Inert/and our water is Inert ! Part of the reason you are in Coco is for full Control! You know exactly what is in your Media at all times, its what separates Us from Soil guys who lack control in their soil. I put in 900 ppms at 5.9pH, I do a run off test after fertigation 910 coming out at 5.8pH I know exactly what's in my media at all times. You should be Using a complete Nutrient Line that has everything the Plants need. Your pH needs adjustment next watering, you want 5.6 - 6.2 I try to be at 5.8 in Veg. PM me if you need any help
good luck farmer

B

Butterdog

Updated pics. The Northern Lights didn't make it so I started a new seed and it sprouted yesterday. The other two are struggling a bit. I think I may have been over watering.

IMG 7376
New Northern Lights -Day 2
IMG 7377
Blue dream - Day 11 - Struggling. Did not water today or yesterday.

IMG 7378
Froot by the Foot -
Day 11 - Struggling. Did not water today or yesterday.

IMG 7380

My setup:
tent
: 32"x32"
light: 150W LED, 2.8 μmol/J, with dimmer
substrate: 70% coco, 30% perlite (Mother Earth Coco + Perlite Mix)
container: 5/gal fabric bag
light distance: 30", currently set to 63%, light meter reading 325 PPFD at the level of the soil (using photone app)
water: reverse osmosis (pH 6.0)
nutrients: none used yet
plants: Northern lights auto, Blue dream auto, Froot by the Foot auto (all ordered from Seedsman)
seed or clone: all 3 started from seed and planted in final container (5 gal fabric bag)
ventilation: 4" inline fan currently running on level 2/10 24hrs/day
circulatory fan: 6 inch (currently running level 2 on cycle)
tent temp: avg 72 degrees (67-81)
humidity: 65%

B

Butterdog

Pics as of this morning.

Mistakes I made. I bought bagged coco+perlite premixed. I did not rehydrate or buffer so perhaps that is the reason these seedlings are struggling?

I watered today with 1mL 4-0-1 (1mL/gal) + CalMag (5mL/gal). I guess we will see in a day or two if things turn around.

IMG 7383
d
IMG 7382
IMG 7381

B

Butterdog

Here are pics as of this morning. I added a pencil for size reference purposes to one of the pics.
IMG 7394
IMG 7395
IMG 7396
This is day 14.

IMG 7397
IMG 7398

Latest posts

Top Bottom