FIRST TIME GROWER: growing from seed in my closet :)

• Thread starter itsjasonovak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Alright, I may have a small issue that I'm not entirely sure what it is...check out these images. There is some light splotching on some of the leaves, and one of these leaves looks like it got munched off or just stopped growing at the halfway point. Temp/humidity has been at 68-70 degrees/60-65% humidity. Any ideas?
CottonCandyproblem1
CottonCandyProblem

ElevenRosesproblem

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alright, I may have a small issue that I'm not entirely sure what it is...check out these images. There is some light splotching on some of the leaves, and one of these leaves looks like it got munched off or just stopped growing at the halfway point. Temp/humidity has been at 68-70 degrees/60-65% humidity. Any ideas?
View attachment 919891View attachment 919890
View attachment 919889
Looks like a deformity. Try to make sure when you are watering not to get any on the leaves.

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Looks like a deformity. Try to make sure when you are watering not to get any on the leaves.
I think you nailed it - a friend of mine suggested that I got water on the leaf and the magnification on it from my light caused the marks. Glad you said that, because now I am confident that is what it is!

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Week 3

During week three, the Eleven Roses showed insane leafy growth. It is not starting to look like a real plant, and the Cotton Candy plants are growing well too.

This week, I ended up removing the humidity dome and hanging the T5 a bit higher, as the Eleven Roses has grown to within just 2 inches of it!

Days 15-17
AllPlantswk3.jpg

As you can see, the Eleven Roses is now 3-4 inches tall, and has three sets of true leaves. It is twice the size of the Cotton Candy plants, and is the reason I need to raise my T5 light.

The Cotton Candy plants are all growing well too, with one of them starting to pull away in terms of speed. One of them is taking its time, but again, these were all planted on separate days, so it sort of makes sense.

AllPlantswk31.jpg

Days 18-21
Over the past few days, there has been more leafy, vegetative growth. These were the last few days that I will be using the T5. Starting week 4, I'll be using the Covert LED UFO.

AllPlantswk3.png

The Eleven Roses just continues to develop at a rapid pace, while all three Cotton Candy are growing at different paces.

ElevenRoseswk3.png

I did notice the leaves look a bit lighter on the far right Cotton Candy plant. I will have to monitor this closely.

ElevenRosesproblem.png

I was also concerned because I saw a little white splotch on this leaf. But, someone I talked to about this suggested it's likely a water spot that caught the reflection from my light.

This makes sense because I have been using a spray bottle for watering. It won't cause any long term damage, but going forward I will definitely be more careful.

And, one of the Cotton Candy plants also has some weirdness going on with one of it's leaves. Some light splotching appears to be going on, with one of the leaves looking like it almost got bitten off.

CottonCandyproblem1-1.png

There are no pests (from what I can see) in the tent or anywhere near the plants, but this is something I'll need to keep a close eye on as well.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Week 3

During week three, the Eleven Roses showed insane leafy growth. It is not starting to look like a real plant, and the Cotton Candy plants are growing well too.

This week, I ended up removing the humidity dome and hanging the T5 a bit higher, as the Eleven Roses has grown to within just 2 inches of it!

Days 15-17
AllPlantswk3.jpg

As you can see, the Eleven Roses is now 3-4 inches tall, and has three sets of true leaves. It is twice the size of the Cotton Candy plants, and is the reason I need to raise my T5 light.

The Cotton Candy plants are all growing well too, with one of them starting to pull away in terms of speed. One of them is taking its time, but again, these were all planted on separate days, so it sort of makes sense.

AllPlantswk31.jpg

Days 18-21
Over the past few days, there has been more leafy, vegetative growth. These were the last few days that I will be using the T5. Starting week 4, I'll be using the Covert LED UFO.

AllPlantswk3.png

The Eleven Roses just continues to develop at a rapid pace, while all three Cotton Candy are growing at different paces.

ElevenRoseswk3.png

I did notice the leaves look a bit lighter on the far right Cotton Candy plant. I will have to monitor this closely.

ElevenRosesproblem.png

I was also concerned because I saw a little white splotch on this leaf. But, someone I talked to about this suggested it's likely a water spot that caught the reflection from my light.

This makes sense because I have been using a spray bottle for watering. It won't cause any long term damage, but going forward I will definitely be more careful.

And, one of the Cotton Candy plants also has some weirdness going on with one of it's leaves. Some light splotching appears to be going on, with one of the leaves looking like it almost got bitten off.

CottonCandyproblem1-1.png

There are no pests (from what I can see) in the tent or anywhere near the plants, but this is something I'll need to keep a close eye on as well.
That leaf just looks deformed I don't think you did anything to cause it or bugs for that matter.

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

That leaf just looks deformed I don't think you did anything to cause it or bugs for that matter.
Ok...hopefully you see this soon and can share your thoughts. I switched to my 150 Watt LED today and my plants are FREAKING the fuck out. The two big ones have curled up and dwindled away to nothing. Are they dead? What can I do to save them? I have the light 2-3ft above them so I dont know that it could be burning them....I am struggling with temps now that I turned this on, have my fan running on medium and temps are still 85 degrees. Any ideas?

IMG 2407
IMG 2411
IMG 2405
London bud

London bud

You need to water more often with more light/heat. 85 ain't even that hot.
Your plants need watered.

London bud

London bud

They'll be fine hopefully you just need to keep an eye on them. I grow in closets aswel bro, I have 150w literally 4/5 inches above my canopy, with the fan blowing over the top of the plants to move the heat, even 300w I only have 6/7 inches away. 2/3 foot is a long way to put the light even for young plants.
You need to move it closer in my opinion if you want to get more from your light. and 85 ain't to hot. Make sure you got a fan blowing directly across the canopy and the light and water more.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's either over or under watered. I don't see light burn but better safe than sorry. If they are stretching you can move it closer if not then I would error on the side of caution. I would say about 15-20k lux should be good at this stage. If you have an Android download light meter by my mobile tools dev and just check

With the drooping stems in with @London bud likely under watering. I would water at this point to thoroughly saturate the media.. Looks like you have good drainage. What media are you using?

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

It's either over or under watered. I don't see light burn but better safe than sorry. If they are stretching you can move it closer if not then I would error on the side of caution. I would say about 15-20k lux should be good at this stage. If you have an Android download light meter by my mobile tools dev and just check

With the drooping stems in with @London bud likely under watering. I would water at this point to thoroughly saturate the media.. Looks like you have good drainage. What media are you using?
I have a mix in there of Coco and Ocean Forest, my first transplant will be into straight Ocean Forest. I'll give them a good watering! Thanks man.

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Week 4

Week 4 presented an interesting challenge. When I made the swap from my T5 over to the Covert LED, my plants freaked out. I learned a lot this week though, specifically about stress and water.
Days 22-23

The first day of this week the plants looked great. They looked bigger and healthier every day, but I knew they were outgrowing this T5.
AllPlantswk4.png
AllPlantsWk4canopy.png

So, on day 23, I decided to switch over to the Covert LED. I was super excited, hoping to see even more impressive growth by switching to a way more powerful light.
AllPlantsWilt.png

Within an hour or two of swapping my 150 Watt LED for the T5, my plants started wilting really badly. The two biggest plants were affected by the change the most.
ElevenRosesWilt.png

Their leaves were super droopy, and they were balling up. I started panicking. The light was about 2 feet above my plants, but I immediately raised it all the way up to the ceiling.
CottonCandyWilt.png

The temperature had reached 86 degrees and humidity was down to 50%. It had gotten super hot and super dry. Interestingly enough, though, the smallest plant started to look healthier.

I asked around to see if anyone had any advice, and I was told that this was just stress from a new lighting source with much more power. The Covert LED is obviously brighter and more intense than the T5, and the plants are not used to this much light.

And, I had been using a spray bottle to this point to water. The media stayed moist for a while because the T5 didn't produce any heat. But, the Covert dried the media up right away and sucked all moisture out of the tent.

I gave the plants a good watering, saturating the media. Within a few hours, the plants had started to bounce back. At this point, I switched the photoperiod from 24 hours down to 18/6.
Days 24-25

I woke up on day 24 and the first thing I did was rush to check on my plants. My light turns off at 9am, so it was still on when I woke up.

Much to my pleasure, the plants looked much healthier.
AllPlantsWk4Recovery.png

Still noticeable wilting, and some discoloration, but the plants have uncurled, and look like they are going to make it.
ElevenRosesRebound.png
CottonCandyRebound.png
Days 26-28

The plants older growth is still very droopy, and has become discolored. There is yellowing on the older leaves. But, the new growth on the plants looks to be healthy.
Yellowing on leaves

One thing this could be is a nitrogen deficiency. I do not suspect pH because I know the tap water I use comes out at about 6-6.5.

It could be a Nitrogen issue, but I am surprised they are already this hungry at such a young age, considering there is Nitrogen in the Ocean forest mix I have them in. Any chance they could already need liquid nutrients?

On an unrelated note, it may be time to transplant this Eleven Roses soon! I see roots popping out the bottom of the soil already.
Eleven Roses Roots

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Week 5

This week, the plants were able to bounce back from the issues I was seeing last week. They've started growing again, and their leaves look strong and healthy.

Days 29-32

I replanted the Eleven Roses into a much larger pot, and gave it a good watering.

Allplantswk5.png

They are still growing slower than I'd like, but the growth I saw this week was promising especially considering the state they were in a few days ago!

One of the Cotton Candy plants is much smaller than the others with lighter-colored leaves, as you can see.

Plantswk5.png

Ideally, I won't transplant the Cotton Candy plants until they show their sex. As space is limited in this tent, I can only fit one or two more large pots in here.

So I'd like to determine which plants are male and female before doing that, as this will likely result in me throwing a plant or two out (hopefully not all of them).

Days 33-35
Week65.jpg

Over the past few days, the Eleven Roses grew much bigger while the Cotton Candy plants followed suit.

week5cottoncandy.jpg

But, the runt of the group is starting to stand out a bit more because of it's lighter leaves and tiny stature.

I don't know what it could be, but the newer growth on the top of the plant seems healthy, so I'm hoping whatever is going on just corrects itself.

If you remember back in week 4, the leaves had some real issues when I turned on my new LED. But, the plants seem to have rebounded completely. The old, damaged growth has dried up and withered away. As you can see on these plants now, there is no way to really tell that anything ever happened!

In week 6, I am going to start feeding nutrients. Thus far, the nutrients in the Ocean Forest soil has been the only thing feeding my plants. But, I am going to lightly start feeding the Fox Farm Trio Soil Pack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom