First Time Grower In Hydro. Purple Stems And Discolored Leaves

• Thread starter Ameadows92
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Ameadows92

This is still my first grow, it's in hydro and I don't know what's happening and can't stop my stems and branches from turning purple(even though I stopped using ice bottle because I assumed the purple was coming from temp shock), spotting on the lower leaves and I'm not sure if the upper leaves are burns or not but any advise is appreciated.

First time grower in hydro purple stems and discolored leaves
First time grower in hydro purple stems and discolored leaves 2
First time grower in hydro purple stems and discolored leaves 3
Wee Zard

Wee Zard

stems and branches from turning purple(even though I stopped using ice bottle because I assumed the purple was coming from temp shock

Lockout?

I'd re-calibrate my PH reader, then check my res..
Purple petioles and stems are not necessarily cause by cold.
Cold colors the buds first.

Red /purple stems are one sign of Phosphorus deficiency.
It is not caused by an actual P. deficiency though.
There is most likely plenty of P., but the plants can't use it if the PH is too low.

A

Ameadows92

Lockout?

I'd re-calibrate my PH reader, then check my res..
Purple petioles and stems are not necessarily cause by cold.
Cold colors the buds first.

Red /purple stems are one sign of Phosphorus deficiency.
It is not caused by an actual P. deficiency though.
There is most likely plenty of P., but the plants can't use it if the PH is too low.
You were right I haven't calibrated for about 1-2 months and it was off .7 so hopefully it gets better

Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Agree, I'm with tinder thumbs, cal-mag for sure. GH calimagic is calcium bicarbonate while botanicare is calcium nitrate. Both great products but botanicare hits your plants quick, calimagic is better for supplemental use(my opinion). Take a pic of the ugly purple leaf "without" your LEDs on. That's the leaf you should show, although the yellow veins are the first indicator. your leafs look great though. I love LEDs but switched to a HPS for veg. *note: some yellowing and necrosis is normal and part of the cycle of a leafs life. As long as new growth is vigorous and green then you are good. This plant(Durban poison), is in a personal super soul/coco mix and I supplement with GH calimag and save my botanicare for my deficiencies. I'm big in mainlining, HST,LST, and topping since all of my specimens are in veg for 6mo - year minimum under a 24hr transitioning to 18/6 and 12/12 for flower.

IMG 6099
Last edited:
Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Tehe... my indoor garden (flower room) has DWC systems I'm slowly filling with clones. I'm real interested in vertical gardening. Trying to make my garden solar at the moment and get my perpetual cycle going and fully automated.

fatawa

fatawa

Tehe... my indoor garden (flower room) has DWC systems I'm slowly filling with clones. I'm real interested in vertical gardening. Trying to make my garden solar at the moment.
im dwc/aero.vertical is differnt...ive done it.great results just differnt.i do open bulbs always tho.not knocking yur soil was just gonna say u cud shave an immense amount of time of that veg n dwc...but u already kno.ha

Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Yea I use parabolics at night time and move my veg plants outside around 6am. If I had a house it's tru some aquaponics. I agree with running open verse closed hoods. how do you control your heat? My A/C is always on so it's not something that concerns me. Same goes with smells and size, I like long veg periods, I started in coco but would like one system from every category in my garden. I'm doing research in the field and am Pershing my doctorate in plant science...
I do feel like my knowledge has prepared me for a DWC though since I started with cocoa and ebb/flo. The root mass is what interest me most haha im just really a hobbyist lol

A

Ameadows92

Agree, I'm with tinder thumbs, cal-mag for sure. GH calimagic is calcium bicarbonate while botanicare is calcium nitrate. Both great products but botanicare hits your plants quick, calimagic is better for supplemental use(my opinion). Take a pic of the ugly purple leaf "without" your LEDs on. That's the leaf you should show, although the yellow veins are the first indicator. your leafs look great though. I love LEDs but switched to a HPS for veg. *note: some yellowing and necrosis is normal and part of the cycle of a leafs life. As long as new growth is vigorous and green then you are good. This plant(Durban poison), is in a personal super soul/coco mix and I supplement with GH calimag and save my botanicare for my deficiencies. I'm big in mainlining, HST,LST, and topping since all of my specimens are in veg for 6mo - year minimum under a 24hr transitioning to 18/6 and 12/12 for flower.
Ok so I started using more cali magic and the new growth is looking better but the bottom just dies more and more everyday, is it because they're not getting light? And I just noticed today but there is white (I think fungi) on my clay pellets, can you advise on what should I do about them?

IMG 5478
IMG 5479
IMG 5483
IMG 5485
IMG 5486
A

Ameadows92

u need to feed more mag are u useing cal-mag at al
Yes but it was this tiny tiny seed(but mature as far as I could see) and I didn't followed gh starter kit directions and I put less than advised and it still kept burnning, I didn't know what to do to stop the burns so I put less of everything. I put 1/3 ml of calmag for 4 1/2 gallons of water, I know it's not enough but I didn't know what was doing it.

fatawa

fatawa

Ok so I started using more cali magic and the new growth is looking better but the bottom just dies more and more everyday, is it because they're not getting light? And I just noticed today but there is white (I think fungi) on my clay pellets, can you advise on what should I do about them?
just salt buildup from nutes.pretty normal

A

Ameadows92

I I have 2 tds meters and they read different things, I bought calibration solution and new batteries but it's still off(tested the ppms of bottled water and in solution and I can't calibrate it) it reads 75 ppm right now, but the one that burnned was 401 ppms

A

Ameadows92

IMG 5594
u can use 1.5-2.5ml per gal safely.what ppms do u feed?u either hav ph issue like already said or a rezi temp problem(most tds meters hav a temp button).these 2 things r important.u can put whatever u want n water if these things arent right u wont uptake anything
And here is a better picture of the white stuff, I see the salt but this is fuzzy and growing next to it, and it says my res temp is 80 f. but I was told it was safe up to 90 f. And ph is 5.8 For hydro, can you recommend a tds meter you have luck with.

A

Ameadows92

I'm so dumb I started digging into the pellets to see how far it went down and it's just the roots growing over the pellets, I think I just need to add more

Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Did you add more hydroton clay? The fuzzies look like myobofnthe root system. I could be wrong but it does look scary How they doing today? Any luck controlling it? Do you think it's just you being too worried? Granted to leaf changing should be something to worry about. The rest of the plant looks great, would waiting a few days help? Has it been a few already? Any update? I'm truly curious. The tip burn constant death makes me wonder if your over fed. I had a plant donthis exact thing to me only it died...

A

Ameadows92

Did you add more hydroton clay? The fuzzies look like myobofnthe root system. I could be wrong but it does look scary How they doing today? Any luck controlling it? Do you think it's just you being too worried? Granted to leaf changing should be something to worry about. The rest of the plant looks great, would waiting a few days help? Has it been a few already? Any update? I'm truly curious. The tip burn constant death makes me wonder if your over fed. I had a plant donthis exact thing to me only it died...
I just got home and changed the res. and upped everything (including ml's of cal-mag to 1 1/2 'ml per gal) the new shoots look nice it's just the bottom dying, I'll make sure to update you in 3 days or so when I can see major change hopefully with better news, thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom