First Time Grower Long Time Smoker

• Thread starter BonMassacre
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BonMassacre

BonMassacre

Hey all, I'm Tori. I've had chronic pain and PTSD coupled with anorexia most of my life (about 15 years) and have decided to start my first grow so I know what I'm ingesting and the quality of the product of medicine I will be growing.
Here we go! I have my grow tent set up complete with light, humidifier and fan now I'm just struggling with getting the temps and humidity just right so that I can start my plants. I will be growing in coco coir indoors. Any and all advice is appreciated. I will get photos uploaded when I can.

guymandude

guymandude

Welcome to the farm. What nutrients will you be using? Do you have a ph pen/meter - you will need one. Will you be filtering your water?
Generally speaking, in my experience in coco, here ya go:
1)mix a generous amount of perlite into your coco. This will help the roots get more oxygen - bigger healthier rootball makes bigger healthier plants and bigger healthier plants make bigger better buds.
2) Invest in a good myco/beneficial bacteria supplement. I use Voodoo Juice and Great White. Now Voodoo Juice is very expensive unless you know where to get it. Great White is expensive too but will last a long time. It is worth it. The beneficial bacteria and mycos help establish a healthy rhyzosphere. You don't need both. I like both, personally. STo start, get the Great White, or Oregonism, or something else. Give a little bit in your nutrients when you feed until the 2nd week of flower.
3) pH your nutrients to 6.0-6.1. I get great results at 6.1

4) Don't let your pots dry out too much. Lean to find that sweet spot. When coco becomes too dry, you run the risk of killing off those beneficial bacteria and mycos. It's a hybrid of hydro and soil so keep it damp, not wet, not dry, but slightly moist. If you're meant to grow and serious about it, you'll learn the sweet spot. On the other hand, before you water, pick up your pots. If they are heavy ( literally and this means the coco is still really wet) leave them alone. I'll say it again LEAVE THEM ALONE. see below

4.5) You are your plants worst enemy. Learn to leave them alone. DOn't coinstantly change up your nturient strength, don't want to overfeed to make them grow bigger faster. It doesn't work that way. Set your environment, learn to read your plants (this comes with time, be patient and ask lots of questions) and leave them the hell alone. By all means, sit in your rooms and stare at them. Talk to them, Dance around the room in shear happiness that you are finally growing your own meds safely, but leave the plants the hell alone.

5) I've been running Advance Nutrients in coco for 7 years. Go ahead and flame me, but the shit works very very well. At one point, I was getting 6-8 ounces per plant in 3 gallon pots. My routine is: feed, water, feed water, feed water, etc. When you find that sweet spot with a strain, you'll know, but take notes. That way when you are running multiple strains, you can check your notes on what each strain likes and more importantly doesn't like. You have to find what works for you. I found what works very well for me. A lot of people use General Hydroponics with success. A ot of folks use, Canna, Age Old, House & Garden, fox Farms, etc. You have to find what works for you. Personally, I won't support Scotts or Mosanto - so I will not use GH, Botanicare ,or Gavita (lights). That's just my pissed off inner hippy speaking. Take a stand and don't let people push you around..

6)Temps can vary as can humidity. Once you get a grip on growing, worry about that. My veg room runs from 85-90 in the summer with a 75% relative humidity to 65 degrees in the winter with a 30% rh. I still grow awesome buds. As long as your flower room isn't running too hot, you'll be fine, and by too hot, i mean mid 80's and up. Yes your buds will be fluffy and you'll have to water more frequently, and that means toning down your nutrient strength to match feeding/watering more frequently. But, you'll still have good homegrown meds and that's priceless. I've never met a stoner who said, "No way I'm smoking that, bro. It's way too fluffy...." Get my point? Don't shoot for perfection the first time you grow. Shoot for not killing your plants and getting some smokeable buds. I have a great friend who lives in Florida. He grows year round. His flower room temps hit the 90's for much of the summer. His still puts out great buds - I know they get me high as hell. Oh but wait, that's too hot, you say? LOL. I say this plant is resilient and will grow damn near anywhere. Learn to adapt your plants to the environment you create and also learn to adapt to your plants and what they want.

7) Finally, do yourself a favor. Don't freak out over a fan leaf that yellows or curls up and dies. If the rest of the plant looks good, there's little to worry about. The plant may have just decided it wanted to dine on that leaf at that time. 95 times out of 100, if your leaves taco up (meaning they fold up along their long axis like a taco shell indicating a slight magnesium deficiency)m chances are it's because the pH in the pot is slightly lower than 6.0. Calibrate your ph pen, let the pots dry out a little more than usual and next time you feed, ph the nutes to 6.1 and add a little epsom salts. Coco, when kept wet will turn acidic. So let it dry a bit more next time.

we're here to help. good luck.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Welcome to the farm. What nutrients will you be using? Do you have a ph pen/meter - you will need one. Will you be filtering your water?
Generally speaking, in my experience in coco, here ya go:
1)mix a generous amount of perlite into your coco. This will help the roots get more oxygen - bigger healthier rootball makes bigger healthier plants and bigger healthier plants make bigger better buds.
2) Invest in a good myco/beneficial bacteria supplement. I use Voodoo Juice and Great White. Now Voodoo Juice is very expensive unless you know where to get it. Great White is expensive too but will last a long time. It is worth it. The beneficial bacteria and mycos help establish a healthy rhyzosphere. You don't need both. I like both, personally. STo start, get the Great White, or Oregonism, or something else. Give a little bit in your nutrients when you feed until the 2nd week of flower.
3) pH your nutrients to 6.0-6.1. I get great results at 6.1

4) Don't let your pots dry out too much. Lean to find that sweet spot. When coco becomes too dry, you run the risk of killing off those beneficial bacteria and mycos. It's a hybrid of hydro and soil so keep it damp, not wet, not dry, but slightly moist. If you're meant to grow and serious about it, you'll learn the sweet spot. On the other hand, before you water, pick up your pots. If they are heavy ( literally and this means the coco is still really wet) leave them alone. I'll say it again LEAVE THEM ALONE. see below

4.5) You are your plants worst enemy. Learn to leave them alone. DOn't coinstantly change up your nturient strength, don't want to overfeed to make them grow bigger faster. It doesn't work that way. Set your environment, learn to read your plants (this comes with time, be patient and ask lots of questions) and leave them the hell alone. By all means, sit in your rooms and stare at them. Talk to them, Dance around the room in shear happiness that you are finally growing your own meds safely, but leave the plants the hell alone.

5) I've been running Advance Nutrients in coco for 7 years. Go ahead and flame me, but the shit works very very well. At one point, I was getting 6-8 ounces per plant in 3 gallon pots. My routine is: feed, water, feed water, feed water, etc. When you find that sweet spot with a strain, you'll know, but take notes. That way when you are running multiple strains, you can check your notes on what each strain likes and more importantly doesn't like. You have to find what works for you. I found what works very well for me. A lot of people use General Hydroponics with success. A ot of folks use, Canna, Age Old, House & Garden, fox Farms, etc. You have to find what works for you. Personally, I won't support Scotts or Mosanto - so I will not use GH, Botanicare ,or Gavita (lights). That's just my pissed off inner hippy speaking. Take a stand and don't let people push you around..

6)Temps can vary as can humidity. Once you get a grip on growing, worry about that. My veg room runs from 85-90 in the summer with a 75% relative humidity to 65 degrees in the winter with a 30% rh. I still grow awesome buds. As long as your flower room isn't running too hot, you'll be fine, and by too hot, i mean mid 80's and up. Yes your buds will be fluffy and you'll have to water more frequently, and that means toning down your nutrient strength to match feeding/watering more frequently. But, you'll still have good homegrown meds and that's priceless. I've never met a stoner who said, "No way I'm smoking that, bro. It's way too fluffy...." Get my point? Don't shoot for perfection the first time you grow. Shoot for not killing your plants and getting some smokeable buds. I have a great friend who lives in Florida. He grows year round. His flower room temps hit the 90's for much of the summer. His still puts out great buds - I know they get me high as hell. Oh but wait, that's too hot, you say? LOL. I say this plant is resilient and will grow damn near anywhere. Learn to adapt your plants to the environment you create and also learn to adapt to your plants and what they want.

7) Finally, do yourself a favor. Don't freak out over a fan leaf that yellows or curls up and dies. If the rest of the plant looks good, there's little to worry about. The plant may have just decided it wanted to dine on that leaf at that time. 95 times out of 100, if your leaves taco up (meaning they fold up along their long axis like a taco shell indicating a slight magnesium deficiency)m chances are it's because the pH in the pot is slightly lower than 6.0. Calibrate your ph pen, let the pots dry out a little more than usual and next time you feed, ph the nutes to 6.1 and add a little epsom salts. Coco, when kept wet will turn acidic. So let it dry a bit more next time.

we're here to help. good luck.
I see u mention great white myco there Gmd.i usually use the gw by plant success at transplant and within 24 hours I have bright white super fuzzy roots popping out the drainage holes in the pot and sometimes even popping out of the top of the soil.but as u say it's expensive so I saw plant success had two new myco products-Mike-o-rizey and one called jelly fish.tried both.neither is anywhere near as good as great white.
Just thought I'd share that incase anyone else was thinking about trying them.

guymandude

guymandude

I see u mention great white myco there Gmd.i usually use the gw by plant success at transplant and within 24 hours I have bright white super fuzzy roots popping out the drainage holes in the pot and sometimes even popping out of the top of the soil.but as u say it's expensive so I saw plant success had two new myco products-Mike-o-rizey and one called jelly fish.tried both.neither is anywhere near as good as great white.
Just thought I'd share that incase anyone else was thinking about trying them.

that's some great info right there. thanks for sharing

M

MamaBear

Welcome Tori! You're headed in the right direction (grow your own medicine)! Tons of info here and lots of great folks that will help out.

BonMassacre

BonMassacre

Sorry, just wrapped up a weeks worth of finals for this semester. Sorry for poor photo quality, I cracked my phone lens. I can't get the humidity higher than 34 and then the temps shoot to 91. No options to open window or door from the room as I have a cat who thinks wires are the best chew toy, and theives stalking my house. So I need to get an ocillating fan and assuming a portable ac? Thoughts?
20161016 142151
20161016 142121
PART 1476246459489  2IMG 20161011 222714
Signal 2016 10 15 195626

PART 1476246459489  2IMG 20161011 222714
20161016 142151
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Sorry, just wrapped up a weeks worth of finals for this semester. Sorry for poor photo quality, I cracked my phone lens. I can't get the humidity higher than 34 and then the temps shoot to 91. No options to open window or door from the room as I have a cat who thinks wires are the best chew toy, and theives stalking my house. So I need to get an ocillating fan and assuming a portable ac? Thoughts?View attachment 640966 View attachment 640967 View attachment 640968 View attachment 640969

You need to get an inline fan and an activated charcoal filter with some ducting. With that small light a 4in fan and filter combo may work but the larger fans run quieter.

BonMassacre

BonMassacre

You need to get an inline fan and an activated charcoal filter with some ducting. With that small light a 4in fan and filter combo may work but the larger fans run quieter.

Thanks! Outside of tent temps are pretty low, I keep the house at 69-72. You think just an in line would cool the room the tent Is in as well as the tent?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Thanks! Outside of tent temps are pretty low, I keep the house at 69-72. You think just an in line would cool the room the tent Is in as well as the tent?
Yes you can vent right into the room and there will be no smell, no holes in walls required:)
Perfect temp

BonMassacre

BonMassacre

Yes you can vent right into the room and there will be no smell, no holes in walls required:)
Perfect temp

Wonderful! A fans in the budget. Was trial running the tent to make sure there are no issues before I start my seeds and this temp/humidity control was driving me crazy! My goal harvest is by my birthday, 3/9 ♓

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Wonderful! A fans in the budget. Was trial running the tent to make sure there are no issues before I start my seeds and this temp/humidity control was driving me crazy! My goal harvest is by my birthday, 3/9 ♓
My suggestion is pay up for the fan, a year from now you will be sad you didnt if you dont, cheap fans burn bearings fast and it sounds like fingers on a chalk board. Charcoal filters are not as cruicial to buy top shelf as you replace them regularly.

guymandude

guymandude

is a window air a possibility?

and why are thieves stalking the house?

BonMassacre

BonMassacre

Window is not a possibility as its in the front of the house where people drive by. I had a shitty roommate who refused to pay rent, had to damn near give him a court order to evict and a few weeks later he stole mailbox. I've had people break in thinking the house was vacant as I park in the garage. Not very safe to live alone in the middle of no where. Can grow inside as my mom/I own the house. Just can't keep the door from the room to the rest of the house open... my feline is an ass. Lol

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Theres no need for outside air in an air conditioned room, with a fan and filter scrubbing the air in the tent out into the room youll be fine, it will stay a few degrees above whatever the temp is outside the tent.

BonMassacre

BonMassacre

Not in the desert unfortunately. This is what I'm working with. A member from this site grew just fine in the very room I'm growing in with a completely different setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom