First time grower looking for some help

• Thread starter JohnC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnC

JohnC

Got a few plants who survived my gross over watering and now are looking really happy. I am growing in a small space and used Miracle-Gro potting mix. Def learning as I go but as they are getting a little bigger, what are some ideas for fertilizer as well as delivery method? Don’t have too many option locally for anything special and don’t want to order anything online, is there any fertilizer that is easily found that would help?

First time grower looking for some help
First time grower looking for some help 2
First time grower looking for some help 3
JohnC

JohnC

VF-11 works great.
Heard! Is that something a nursery would have? Tried Lowe’s and Depot and none is available within 100 miles, lol. Saw plenty available on eBay but trying to avoid the online ordering thing.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have been using Jack's 20-20-20 for years. It's cheap and has the same stuff as the bottles with the colorful pictures. It is available everywhere. FWIW, you are using a soil that already has a lot of nutrients built into it. Adding additional nutrients without knowing how much is left in the Miracle Gro can cause issues with lockouts and nutrient burn. The miracle gro should last you for about 3 months, depending on your container and plant size. Truthfully, just about any general fertilier or flowering blends will help out. The plants can't read and don't know the difference for the mot part.

mancorn

mancorn

Go with Jimsters recommendation of Jacks. Unless you have zero source, then you can pee in a gallon of water. (Ton of info and videos online about using urine as a fert.) Top dress with compost. If you live in a forested area you can just dig up some dirt add a sugar source and make a AAC Tea. (Need an aquarium pump.) Look on Craigslist (or other local listing) and you might find free rabbit poop (which is one of the 3 great poops along with worm & bat). You can also make a worm bin to make your own vermicastings. (People have been farming for thousands of years before Jeff Bezos showed up, and a couple million of them have posted videos on gardening. 😀)

growsince79

growsince79

Go with Jimsters recommendation of Jacks. Unless you have zero source, then you can pee in a gallon of water. (Ton of info and videos online about using urine as a fert.) Top dress with compost. If you live in a forested area you can just dig up some dirt add a sugar source and make a AAC Tea. (Need an aquarium pump.) Look on Craigslist (or other local listing) and you might find free rabbit poop (which is one of the 3 great poops along with worm & bat). You can also make a worm bin to make your own vermicastings. (People have been farming for thousands of years before Jeff Bezos showed up, and a couple million of them have posted videos on gardening. 😀)
Pee is great for veg. 1 cup/gallon. Don't even think about it in flower though. Way too much N.

mancorn

mancorn

Pee is great for veg. 1 cup/gallon. Don't even think about it in flower though. Way too much N.
I can't bring myself to peeing in a cup, so just use the 1 gallon per bladder measurement, using a bucket.

With flu we"ve been restricted to back yard visits, so the amount of pee has grown exponentially. (The women are having a tougher go of it.)

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Why are you trying to avoid ordering online? Not a bad option in this current climate.

JohnC

JohnC

I have been using Jack's 20-20-20 for years. It's cheap and has the same stuff as the bottles with the colorful pictures. It is available everywhere. FWIW, you are using a soil that already has a lot of nutrients built into it. Adding additional nutrients without knowing how much is left in the Miracle Gro can cause issues with lockouts and nutrient burn. The miracle gro should last you for about 3 months, depending on your container and plant size. Truthfully, just about any general fertilier or flowering blends will help out. The plants can't read and don't know the difference for the mot part.
Cool! Just looking for a little help for them but don’t want to mess with something that is working. So you suggest any general fertilizer or flowering blend might help but is not necessary? Wait till I get closer to flowering?
In and out of the garden he goes

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Agreed just hard to explain in my current situation

I hear you. Just read up on NPK values at different stages of growth and then match it up with what you have available near you. Keep in mind your soil already has additives. Remember to start sparingly and listen to your plants, you can always add more but harder to reverse. Good luck!

cruzin

cruzin

Back in the mid 80's I had a friend that said that the first thing he did every morning was go out in the yard and p around his plant and he claimed he got 6 pounds from the plant. I did not see it but I have no disbelief of his story.

JohnC

JohnC

Back in the mid 80's I had a friend that said that the first thing he did every morning was go out in the yard and p around his plant and he claimed he got 6 pounds from the plant. I did not see it but I have no disbelief of his story.
Heard a story like that as well!!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes you can grow using urine ,milk and worm casting tea I have used this method before I had a hydro shop open near by . 100ml worm tea to 10 lts 500 ml milk 1 first per in the morning I keep my watering can in the toilet it's free and readily available .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Heard a story like that as well!!
I keep my watering can it my toilet I have 3 boys and a large veggie &fruit garden I never buy any inputs for here strictly organic , urine ,milk, worm casting tea .

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Yes you can grow using urine ,milk and worm casting tea I have used this method before I had a hydro shop open near by . 100ml worm tea to 10 lts 500 ml milk 1 first per in the morning I keep my watering can in the toilet it's free and readily available .
Regarding becoming a pissing pandillero.... I save my dialysis "rinse", which is mostly water, a few minerals, and urea from me. It is a bit acidic and my blueberries and hydrangeas love it. On a word of caution... too much of the golden miracle can create ammonia as it decomposes, which can cause problems if it gets too concentrated. As much as I hate to admit it, I can see improvements in the plants overnight if you hit them with a good dose. It sounds creepy, but so does running a few gallons of juice thru a tube in my belly every night. If my plants benefit from it, that makes two of us!!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Regarding becoming a pissing pandillero.... I save my dialysis "rinse", which is mostly water, a few minerals, and urea from me. It is a bit acidic and my blueberries and hydrangeas love it. On a word of caution... too much of the golden miracle can create ammonia as it decomposes, which can cause problems if it gets too concentrated. As much as I hate to admit it, I can see improvements in the plants overnight if you hit them with a good dose. It sounds creepy, but so does running a few gallons of juice thru a tube in my belly every night. If my plants benefit from it, that makes two of us!!
Correct and great info interesting about the Dialysis rinse if using urine in your grow I strongly recommend a 10 >1 ratio drain to waste empty ro bucket and wash out and wash hands come on you have been working with pee .... 🤪

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
TIL today. Never, ever though about that. I think about alot of stuff, but not that. I was sort of in shock with the MiracleGro stuff and then ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom