First-time Grower, Many Questions

• Thread starter FenderSuper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FenderSuper

FenderSuper

I've been around a couple weeks now, and I have a shit-ton of questions because I've never done this before.

1. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I've checked local ordinances regarding growing and there are no local ordinances in the way(I'm in a non-incorporated area on the Peninsula). Totally urban, but a back yard that's hard to see, hard to access, if my gate is locked. It will be.

1.5. My grow space is limited and I'm wondering if a portable greenhouse will be a good idea. Anyone have a recommendation? I've looked at a zillion ones but budget (and space) are pretty limited. I live on a fixed income. Are any of the portable greenhouses any good? The plants will grow in smart pots. If you have ideas about all this shit, lay 'em on me.

2. I'm using clones. Big-time indica guy so indica will be my choice. Afghani if I can find clones. Strainbank only sells them 12 at a time or more. A lot more than I need. Shorter plants, good yield, fewer security issues. What sort of pest issues can I expect when growing in a portable greenhouse?

3. When to harvest. I've got the idea when trichomes reach a level of 'done,' it's time to chop. How to know?

4. Curing and drying. Many differing opinions with regard to temperatures. Anyone aware of best practices regarding this stage?

5. Soil. I'm planning on using soil from this guy. Please check the CL ad and tell me if the guy seems legit, OR, if you've actually bought soil from this guy. It's bulk "Happy Hippy Garden Mix." The makeup of the soil is in the ad here...
Does this guy seem on the level?

6. Where to get clones? I like StrainBank but they're only selling 20 or more. WAAY more than I need. I want Agfhani because it's hardy, a heavy yielder, and I LOVE the weed. Adore it. Love me some couch lock. I've looked at Dark Heart but goddamnit it to fucking hell, they have no Afghani clones. Any suggestions as to where to acquire clones on this scale. I'm just a back-yard gomer, not a commercial grower.

I'm sure I'll have a LOT more questions but this is a start. I'm planning on planting the clones around June 1. Veg until August and let the flowering occur naturally.

So, am I completely full of shit? I'm nervous and anxious about doing a good job. Wasting my time? I've been in information-gathering mode for about a month and will be reading more, asking more questions, and generally being as much of a pest as the gathered will tolerate. The more best practices I can gather and write down, the better I'll do.

All input welcome, even if it's to tell me I'm totally full of shit and doomed to failure. Photos of grow space to come. Ignore the dirt in the grow space, it's dead. Thanks in advance!!!

I've been around a couple weeks now, and I have a shit-ton of questions because I've never done this before.

1. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I've checked local ordinances regarding growing and there are no local ordinances in the way(I'm in a non-incorporated area on the Peninsula). Totally urban, but a back yard that's hard to see, hard to access, if my gate is locked. It will be.

1.5. My grow space is limited and I'm wondering if a portable greenhouse will be a good idea. Anyone have a recommendation? I've looked at a zillion ones but budget (and space) are pretty limited. I live on a fixed income. Are any of the portable greenhouses any good? The plants will grow in smart pots. If you have ideas about all this shit, lay 'em on me.

2. I'm using clones. Big-time indica guy so indica will be my choice. Afghani if I can find clones. Strainbank only sells them 12 at a time or more. A lot more than I need. Shorter plants, good yield, fewer security issues. What sort of pest issues can I expect when growing in a portable greenhouse?

3. When to harvest. I've got the idea when trichomes reach a level of 'done,' it's time to chop. How to know?

4. Curing and drying. Many differing opinions with regard to temperatures. Anyone aware of best practices regarding this stage?

5. Soil. I'm planning on using soil from this guy. Please check the CL ad and tell me if the guy seems legit, OR, if you've actually bought soil from this guy. It's bulk "Happy Hippy Garden Mix." The makeup of the soil is in the ad here...
Does this guy seem on the level?

6. Where to get clones? I like StrainBank but they're only selling 20 or more. WAAY more than I need. I want Agfhani because it's hardy, a heavy yielder, and I LOVE the weed. Adore it. Love me some couch lock. I've looked at Dark Heart but goddamnit it to fucking hell, they have no Afghani clones. Any suggestions as to where to acquire clones on this scale. I'm just a back-yard gomer, not a commercial grower.

I'm sure I'll have a LOT more questions but this is a start. I'm planning on planting the clones around June 1. Veg until August and let the flowering occur naturally.

So, am I completely full of shit? I'm nervous and anxious about doing a good job. Wasting my time? I've been in information-gathering mode for about a month and will be reading more, asking more questions, and generally being as much of a pest as the gathered will tolerate. The more best practices I can gather and write down, the better I'll do.

All input welcome, even if it's to tell me I'm totally full of shit and doomed to failure. Photos of grow space to come. Ignore the dirt in the grow space, it's dead. Thanks in advance!!!
Alright so I don't have an answer for some of your questions but I didn't wanna ignore the whole post.
1&1.5 I don't know anything about grow houses since I grow in a tent indoor
2 For the same reason I don't know the answer to 2
3 there's not an accurate answer to that but trust me I had even more questions and researching did NOT help until I actually started growing. So you'll know by then but don't rush it.
4 60-70F and humidity should be 45-50% for drying
5 the soil doesn't look bad but u should add lots of perlite to it
6 I used to get clones from "cloneville" in studio city (still do sometimes) and it works great every single time. If could travel
A good thing is ur growing India and they're tougher than sativas
I know I didn't help that much and I'm sorry

iKharon

iKharon

Def need to just search other people's set ups... got a 12x20 polytunnel greenhouse.. get it on Amazon for $850.. the plants will know when to flower. If you grow outside, they naturally flower when the days get shorter and cooler. As far as done-ness.. look up your strain.. it totally varies.: but good rule of thumb for you being an indica guy, is wait for trichs to go from a milky to almost an amber.. but bro, gotta lot of stuff to consider..

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

Def need to just search other people's set ups... got a 12x20 polytunnel greenhouse.. get it on Amazon for $850.. the plants will know when to flower. If you grow outside, they naturally flower when the days get shorter and cooler. As far as done-ness.. look up your strain.. it totally varies.: but good rule of thumb for you being an indica guy, is wait for trichs to go from a milky to almost an amber.. but bro, gotta lot of stuff to consider..
That price is almost a whole month's Social Security. Not going to happen. Have to be something smaller. Certainly a LOT cheaper. But thanks! I'm doing my best to take it ALL into consideration.

iKharon

iKharon

30 gallon smart pots are my girls final homes. Dude, as far as drying and curing, you need to be on point.. fudge that step, you fudged your harvest.. low and slow on drying and curing.. don't rush shit. You're better safe than sorry. And as far as a soil goes, just use an easy medium to start. I'm a huge fan of Nectar for the Gods but to each their own.. a fox farm happy frog would be a good beginner medium. Know your pH. Get dual zone thermo-hygrometers.. know your temps and RH.. get fans, get dehumidifier, some nutes.. just watch them.. pick them up everyday to check water. They will role for a while on the nutes in the soil.. then you'll know when to feed.. they will let you know.

iKharon

iKharon

That price is almost a whole month's Social Security. Not going to happen. Have to be something smaller. Certainly a LOT cheaper. But thanks! I'm doing my best to take it ALL into consideration.
What's your budget?... initial investment for a good outdoor grow isn't cheap. You may consider starting them indoors, in a tent.. then you have time to let them veg and save a few more bucks and get more lights and another tent.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

My budget is about $700, total. Mostly for soil and amendments. I'm growing from clones, not seeds. probably 45-gal smart pots, though not that brand.

iKharon

iKharon

Lol, my soil is 38 1.5 cu ft bags, at $16/bag.. I spend just over $700 in soil alone and that's for 15 30 gallon smart pots.. nutes are going to costly depending on who you go through.. but man, I'd consider a little greenhouse for a few hundred. Then get some decent cheap soil and nutes.. at least that will get you growing

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

If you were in my position, you'd have a different point of view, but thanks for the info! I'm doing six plants. Kinda different.

iKharon

iKharon

You don't have any lights at all already?... because indoors will break your bank fast. But if you're set on 45 gal fabrics, you pretty much need to be outside unless you grow one indoor monster

iKharon

iKharon

Sorry brother, not too sure what to even suggest on an outdoor run with $700. Ain't cheap to do. My initial investment for everything was close to $3k. Now I only need to buy soil and nutes yearly. About $1k per year to grow. But you def can make up for it lol.

IMG 1730
My budget is about $700, total. Mostly for soil and amendments. I'm growing from clones, not seeds. probably 45-gal smart pots, though not that brand.
Is there anyway that u can grow indoor?
My whole setup cost me around $300.
Couple bags of soil and some fertilizers let's say 400. I can send u links

Hoptastic

Hoptastic

Signed up to the farm just so I could reply...

"Ain't cheap to do. My initial investment for everything was close to $3k."​

FenderSuper: you're just talking about a personal, backyard grow, correct? A couple of plants? In my experience outdoor is way cheaper than indoor.

I'm up in OR and have the legal 4 plants out in the garden each summer. Total cost? About $40 for quality clones/seeds. In the ground planting keeps them shorter and out of sight, but smart pots are a good alt.

If you need to cover them, look into setting up a cheap hoop house with pvc. Lots of info online. Can be built to any size.

My biggest advise? Pick know mold resistant varieties. Will save you a ton of hassle late in the season - especially somewhere like the Bay Area.

Cheers!

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

Signed up to the farm just so I could reply...

"Ain't cheap to do. My initial investment for everything was close to $3k."​

FenderSuper: you're just talking about a personal, backyard grow, correct? A couple of plants? In my experience outdoor is way cheaper than indoor.

I'm up in OR and have the legal 4 plants out in the garden each summer. Total cost? About $40 for quality clones/seeds. In the ground planting keeps them shorter and out of sight, but smart pots are a good alt.

If you need to cover them, look into setting up a cheap hoop house with pvc. Lots of info online. Can be built to any size.

My biggest advise? Pick know mold resistant varieties. Will save you a ton of hassle late in the season - especially somewhere like the Bay Area.

Cheers!
Thanks! That's why I like the strains I have selected. Afghani is tough as is GDP. I'll be in a small greenhouse. Six plants total, in fabric pots.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

OK, I think I'm going to grow Hollands Hope because it's mold-resistant and serious indica. Allegedly easy to grow but the pest-resistance sealed the deal. Apparently a good grower and heavy yielder. Extreme indica is required. Love me some couch lock. Sativa makes me paranoid. Anybody ever grown this strain? I'm going ot have to use seeds, which I had not planned on. I want to grow four plants (scaled back from six), should I plan on buying 10 seeds for the inevitable failures that will ensue? Need to start cooking soil, soon, too.

Anyone?

sonoragold

sonoragold

Holland hope,,wow,I grew that out like 20+ yrs ago..easy to grow. You are going to need at least 10 seeds,,especially if they are not feminized..If you are looking for a very good indica,,though not the best producer,,I would recommend Bog seeds,,either sour strawberry kush or sour bubble,,seriously potent..I'm running a few this year..also..keep things simple .
Peace

Top Bottom