First time grower needing advice

• Thread starter MrWhiskers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrWhiskers

Hi THCFarmer peeps, a bud and I are planning on growing some Strawberry Haze for our first time, and we intend to do so outside. I can't find any really good guides on outdoor growing, so I'm just in need of some pointers, like...

* At what point should I take my little sapling to the big outdoors? (I will be raising the baby indoors)
* How often do I need to check up on her?
* Should I plant her in any special soil?
* How soon should I begin growing?

Any advice on growing outdoors or just in general is appreciated!

D

dnutz

All of this depends on your climate. I have no experience in Cali but in Colorado if you want to plant outdoors it's usually around the end of may. Checking on plants every day is advisable if that is an option but if not then make sure you choose a soil mix that can retain some water so that you don't have to check every day. Good call on starting indoors, babies are sensitive and need a precise atmosphere.

D

djonkoman

weed can handle a bit of nightfrost so putting them out early wouldn't really hurt in the long run
but beneath 15 degrees celsius(according to hat I've read online) the growth is stunned
my experience here(the netherlands, 53 degrees north) from last year is that planting out before end april/begin may is pointless, last year I planted out about half april, they came above ground and didn't really grow untill the end of april/begin may
but ofcourse this also depends on the year next to the climate, and probably also the strain so plenty of variables
often it's adviced on dutch forums to start after half may since then it's ijsheiligen(icesaints), meaning there os very less chance on frost on the ground after that date
so if you can find tempgraphs of your region you can probably calculate when would be rthe best time to plant, or look at gardeningforums/sources from around your region, they probably have a similar date like ijsheiligen is here

J

johndeere

Leaving them in a shady place for the first couple of days before transplant will help them acclimate without the shock of this big hot sun thingy suddenly toasting them.
Cervantes' indoor outdoor bible is a pretty good all round guide.In Floridas climate your good to go whenever at this point . Soil quality will directly dictate harvest quality/ quantity, do some generalized reading on how to ammend soil starting with your particular soil type (clay I would suspect).Good Luck

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
this site hosts a forum on outdoor growing - its a good place to start

Top Bottom