First Time Grower Temprature Questions And Different Plant Ages

• Thread starter CBDnoobie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CBDnoobie

Hello all, first time growing, I have all the bells and whistles 450watt LED 2x3 x5 grow tent Here's some problems Ive run into so came here to ask for advice,

1. I had been given a pack of seeds, however out of all of them one sprouted so ive had this Freedom Dream CBD plant growing, two weeks old today, I call it baby Huey just becuse shes getting so big so fast! So I immediatly ordered another pack but it's taking its sweet time in the mail. I now realize baby Huey will be a whole month ahead of the new ones I start once they sprout, will this be a problem? Or can I just flip the switch to bloom early?

2. I kept baby Huey under a CFL 6500k 100W bulb until yesterday because its outgrowing the ballast, however it was a constant temp of about 70F where I had the seedling. So put it in my tent yesterday, unfortunatley the room in which the tent resides is very chilly ( but i must keep it incognito so that room is the only inconspicous place I have.) I put in a small ceramic heater on a timer, and took temp readings at different times. Just as the light / heater came back on as to not disturb sleeping beauty, I took a reading and found the temp had dropped to 55 F (13c) during the night cycle so it took an hour but temp went back to 67F (19c) with the light and heater on. So I'd left it alone went to bed and awoke to find the temp shot up to 75F. (24c) so I opened my vents to let some warmth out. I'm concerned about the night temperature Ive previously taken readings and it never goes under 55F (13c) However I noticed Baby Huey's leaves curled under but then it was her first time under the 450W Led too.

So will this temp change hurt baby Huey? Should i just run the small heater continuously until warmer weather comes?

3. When should I start using my clip fan?

4. Can I place the seedlings once sprouted directly in the tent? my LED is at least 36+ inches above or should I continue with the CFL 6500K for the first week or two of life?

5. Does she look alright?

First time grower temprature questions and different plant ages
First time grower temprature questions and different plant ages 2
jguit

jguit

Supporter
75F with LEDs is fine and from what i understand, even higher temps are desirable under LEDs. You could always top/prune baby huey as the other seeds catch up. I've recently switched to COB/LEDs myself and am learning them as i go along.

You'd probably want to get your night temps up a little bit. It wont kill your plants but might slow them down. In the past, I've had my night temps fall to around 50F with no ill effects that i could see. Not optimal but........

What kind of LEDs are you running? When my Quantum meter arrived, i didnt realize how much light my LEDs were putting out. At around 2.5 feet, the tops of the plants were getting around 700+ ppfd which is too much for seedlings. I've since dimmed them to around 300 ppfd and will increase as needed.

Last edited:
C

CBDnoobie

What kind of LEDs are you running? When my Quantum meter arrived, i didnt realize how much light it was putting out. At around 2.5 feet, the tops of the plants were getting around 700+ ppfd which is too much. I've since dimmed them to around 300 ppfd.[/QUOTE]

I dont know what you mean by ppfd? (Hence my name CBDnoobie)LOL, I have a viparspectra 450W with a veg / bloom switch. I hung it between 36-40 inches up above the plant as the booklet suggested. and the booklet says @ 36inches the Parvalue umol m -2 s-1 is 225, if thats what youre reffering to? At 6 inches the value goes up to 2550. I'm so relieved you told me it got down to 50F with no ill effect, you see it's against an outside wall and the outside temp here right now is 1F or (-17c) It's been a loooooong winter :/ I may just run the heater constantly on the lowest setting until our nights warm to near 34f (1c)

jguit

jguit

Supporter
and the booklet says @ 36inches the Parvalue umol m -2 s-1 is 225, if thats what youre reffering to? At 6 inches the value goes up to 2550. I'm so relieved you told me it got down to 50F with no ill effect, you see it's against an outside wall and the outside temp here right now is 1F or (-17c) It's been a loooooong winter :/ I may just run the heater constantly on the lowest setting until our nights warm to near 34f (1c)

You should be good @36" then if the booklet is correct. You could also put some sort of seedling mat under your containers to keep the roots a little warmer. I've never personally tried this but i dont see why it wouldnt work and might be more cost effective.

sixstring

sixstring

I use 78f in veg and that's for everything from seeds to adult plants ready to flower.in flower I ran 78 to 82f forever but I'm at 82f now.my lights off temps never go below 68 to 70f and usually stay around 72f

C

CBDnoobie

You should be good @36" then if the booklet is correct. You could also put some sort of seedling mat under your containers to keep the roots a little warmer. I've never personally tried this but i dont see why it wouldnt work and might be more cost effective.

Yes i was thinking about doing that i do have a seedling mat, I just didn't think a mat that small would warm a tent of that size, I guess it would keep the chill out of the air surrounding the seedlings though and the roots. I did look into heated mats a person stands on in thier workshop for instance, but they are not cost effective, there is a grow tube heater too which would be wonderful but not availiable in my region even to purchase online. You'd think grow companies would have better equipment to offer. I'm reluctant to continuoulsy run the small ceramic heater I have, I'm worried it could burn out with continual use, though i've read they are one of the safest heat sources out there.

C

CBDnoobie

I use 78f in veg and that's for everything from seeds to adult plants ready to flower.in flower I ran 78 to 82f forever but I'm at 82f now.my lights off temps never go below 68 to 70f and usually stay around 72f

Wow! Those are some good looking ladies! How is your heating bill? I'm quite far north in the world, near the land of the midnight sun so we dont have a long summers, 2 frost free months to be exact and winters cant get to -50f (-45c) so even keeping the main living areas inside my house warm can be a challange during the worst of winter thats why Im trying to grow indoors spring/summer/ fall so the indoor temp will be hopefully ideal in the tent during those months. Get enough herb stored up to last until the next spring grow session.

sixstring

sixstring

Wow! Those are some good looking ladies! How is your heating bill? I'm quite far north in the world, near the land of the midnight sun so we dont have a long summers, 2 frost free months to be exact and winters cant get to -50f (-45c) so even keeping the main living areas inside my house warm can be a challange during the worst of winter thats why Im trying to grow indoors spring/summer/ fall so the indoor temp will be hopefully ideal in the tent during those months. Get enough herb stored up to last until the next spring grow session.

My lights do alot of the heating,I'm on natural gas so now even with a ng burner for co2 I'm only paying 80.00 per month for my house and 2 shops.plus my stove water heater and dryer are all ng.
My bills have gone down dramatically from switching to mostly led and also using top of the line HVAC equipment.still going to be probably 2 years before I see returns on the furnace and AC I just put in the new shop.

C

CBDnoobie

My lights do alot of the heating,I'm on natural gas so now even with a ng burner for co2 I'm only paying 80.00 per month for my house and 2 shops.plus my stove water heater and dryer are all ng.
My bills have gone down dramatically from switching to mostly led and also using top of the line HVAC equipment.still going to be probably 2 years before I see returns on the furnace and AC I just put in the new shop.

Good for you! Thats excellent!

Top Bottom