First Time Grower!

• Thread starter BeastCoastFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

Hey everyone! First off My name is Chris and I’m living up in New England. My buddy told me about this site and I wanted to reach out and gain some knowledge!

So here is a quick rundown of my plants:

They are about 3-4 weeks old
1 Raspberry Parfait / 1 Hibiscus
In 707 soil ( going in 20 lb bags today)

I also just sprayed Azamax for pest control last night for the first time. (Will take any good info on product or recommendations for different brands!)

Last thing is I live right on the mouth of a big river leading directly into the Atlantic Ocean. Will they be effected at all by the (possible) salty air??

Hope to hear from y’all and I hope to learn a lot through this process !

First time grower

First time grower 2

RP

First time grower 3

Hibiscus

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Welcome Chris!
Another local boy. What part of NE you from? I’m out in West Mass myself.
That plant is looking nice and healthy. Looks like it split good after you topped it. Are you planing on putting it in the ground of keeping in the pot?
As for pest treatment as long as it’s non toxic. You don’t want to end up smoking some chemicals you sprayed early on and it built up in the plants tissue.

Madbud

Madbud

You will have problems with that small black pot, can you plant in the ground? If not, cover the outside with something to absorb the heat. On a typical 80° day the soil will heat up to well over a hundred degrees. I use sleeves of carpet remnants and shade the pots. Good luck

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Welcome!
Your plants look healthy so you're off to a good start!
Here are some things tho to keep in mind

That pot is way to small to keep her in. They will get rootbound outdoors fast. I suggest either putting it in the ground or transplanting to a fabric pot so the roots can go. (Bigger roots = bigger fruits)

Also if you plan on keeping them outdoors they will need support and lots of it. Especially with that split in it. Buds can get very heavy and one good storm will snap off branches like no ones buisness.

Bugs are just part of growing outdoors...we all get them to some degree. You are too far north to worry about the bad ones like mites. If you feel you have to spray with something try not to go for the poisons ....

Good luck

Madbud

Madbud

Welcome!

That pot is way to small to keep her in. They will get rootbound outdoors fast. I suggest either putting it in the ground or transplanting to a fabric pot so the roots can go. (Bigger roots = bigger fruits)

Also if you plan on keeping them outdoors they will need support and lots of it. Especially with that split in it. Buds can get very heavy and one good storm will snap off branches like no ones buisness.

Bugs are just part of growing outdoors...we all get them to some degree. You are too far north to worry about the bad ones like mites. If you feel you have to spray with something try not to go for the poisons ....

Good luck
+1 on the need support, we’ve already had high winds and you are looking at a potential six footer. As for ocean air, loaded with silica and nutrients, perfect foliar feed. If you are on my river, the municipal tap water registers 7.6 to 8 by their report. Hasn’t been a problem for me and i just let it sit 24 hours to dissipate chlorine etc

Rooke

Rooke

+1 on the need support, we’ve already had high winds and you are looking at a potential six footer. As for ocean air, loaded with silica and nutrients, perfect foliar feed. If you are on my river, the municipal tap water registers 7.6 to 8 by their report. Hasn’t been a problem for me and i just let it sit 24 hours to dissipate chlorine etc
Welcome to the farm! And happy growing! Your gals look awesome for being as young As they are. But make sure you support the split really well as @ Greatlakes has said. I used to top my outdoor plants as you have done but stopped doing so because I have very strong winds here and had them split on me several times even with what I thought was good support 😢 wind is a bitch! Happy to see you growing outdoors buddy! Let the sun be your friend!

BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

Welcome Chris!
Another local boy. What part of NE you from? I’m out in West Mass myself.
That plant is looking nice and healthy. Looks like it split good after you topped it. Are you planing on putting it in the ground of keeping in the pot?
As for pest treatment as long as it’s non toxic. You don’t want to end up smoking some chemicals you sprayed early on and it built up in the plants tissue.

Thank you man!! So I’m in north Shore Mass!

So I’ll be putting them in the 20 lb bag of 707 soil, I don’t think I will transfer them into the ground because I think the soil by me might not be the best right on the river bank? I’m also in a split house and my porch could be safest place for them!

BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

You will have problems with that small black pot, can you plant in the ground? If not, cover the outside with something to absorb the heat. On a typical 80° day the soil will heat up to well over a hundred degrees. I use sleeves of carpet remnants and shade the pots. Good luck

Thanks For the pointers Madbud! I was worried about having them in those pots for too long as well. I’m hoping to transfer them into 20 lb 707 bags tomorrow! The local store Ofcourse was sold out haha

BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

Welcome!

Good luck

Thank you!! So I have two 18” Metal plant supports (one for each plant ) but I will probably get something bigger / more sturdy as they grow! Any suggestions?

BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

Welcome to the farm! And happy growing! Your gals look awesome for being as young As they are. But make sure you support the split really well as @ Greatlakes has said. I used to top my outdoor plants as you have done but stopped doing so because I have very strong winds here and had them split on me several times even with what I thought was good support 😢 wind is a bitch! Happy to see you growing outdoors buddy! Let the sun be your friend!

Thank you for the good vibes Rooke! It gets SUPER windy up here I don’t have much protection from the wind coming off the water! I’ll definitely be looking for a safe way to support these!

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Thank you man!! So I’m in north Shore Mass!

So I’ll be putting them in the 20 lb bag of 707 soil, I don’t think I will transfer them into the ground because I think the soil by me might not be the best right on the river bank? I’m also in a split house and my porch could be safest place for them!

Nice man,
Always good to hear there are others out in the state getting their grow on.
you can always bolster soil you place the plant in with potting soils or other composts.
Rock on man.

BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

So they’re transferred into the 707 bags! I used Recharge when I watered last night (a teaspoon in a gallon). We got a quick storm today so I didn’t water them.

084B9690 B1D6 4EB1 A7EF 7EFD7492B597
F167C6CA 666E 4AB1 A536 33E060F2418E
4AE5E3BB 6572 4F28 91F5 5AAEBD6F7436
BeastCoastFarmer

BeastCoastFarmer

Little transplant shock but no big deal. Better to do at night i think. Do the bags have holes? Camo is cool😎

Yeah I did the transfer last night around 8 PM. But yes the bags not only are appealing but have small drainage holes on the bottom and sides which is awesome lol ! My buddy said I should get them up off the decking itself so drain better so that’s the next move! Getting some buckets atleast 2’ wide for them

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Little transplant shock but no big deal. Better to do at night i think. Do the bags have holes? Camo is cool😎
OR... with help when the plants get that big. It's hard to coordinate the transfer to a new pot smoothly when plants get too big alone. With an assistant pulling the old pot off when needed is crucial with a heavy plant and root mass and the new pot prepared with the right sized hole for her to go in.

You have a long summer to have them grow, I can see uncontrollable monsters in your future. I'm further east than you but close to the same latitude and we don't get long enough warm fall weather to finish them. I get too much fog an cold in October just when they are finishing. I lost a few crops to bud rot and I've stopped growing out doors for that reason.

I hope you good luck with your grow, you're off to a good start.😃😃

Top Bottom