First Time Grower

• Thread starter Jackle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jackle

Jackle

First time grower looking for feedback. First of all I have 3 plants going now, DNA genetics lemon skunk , DNA lemon og kush, Barneys farm critical kush. All three are feminized. I have them growing in 5 gallon smart pots in fox farm ocean forest soil. They're under 2 300w LED Lights . So far they seem to be taking off pretty good, but like I said its my first time so I'm really not sure what to think . I'm not using any nutrients besides what is already in the soul. The last picture is after 4 weeks and one week after topping. Any suggestions , tips, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

First time grower
First time grower 2
First time grower 3
N

numbnutts

They look great man doing a great job and good for you for not wasting your time on bagseed your first time you should really gently low stress train em if you can get a twistie and gently pull the tops down to the side , those branches down low will grow like crazy and also one thing is there heat under those lights , there's a good amount of space between branches and that's a sign of stretching for the lights , you want that space to be legit an inch of you can it'll make your plant shorter and denser and they fill in nice ..ganja plants wanna grow one main cola ..and they shape like a Christmas tree if you tie em and do certain things like pinch some of the newest growth off you can get all those branches to turn into colas , like this photo if your on your first time I highly urge you to read up on fimming , supercropping, and low stress training , it's so awesome what it does to the plants , you definitely wanna get the lights as close as possible without burning the plants leds don't give off heat do they ?

Sempergrow75

Sempergrow75

Don't give to much faith in the soil. My first two indoor grows went horrible. I just had my first time with success. Using Nutirents is amazing once you get it dialed in.

Bannacis

Bannacis

They look great, ready to transplant if you want. Do be careful on placing those 300 waters so close...leds can bleach your tips, and unless you supercrop or lst, a little stretch aint too bad. IMO leds keep internode spacing tight, sometimes too tight.
Maybe remove the lower branches and the small stuff that's growing close to main stem.

Stoneymeadow

Stoneymeadow

Would it be okay to transfer into 10 or maybe 15 gallon smart pots.
Looks like you are in 5g pots now? If so, leave them be for awhile, let the roots fill out for a few more weeks. Stepping up to a 10 or 15 this soon would have you pouring nutes down the drain, as your rootball is still small at this stage. As DrMcskunkin said previously, you need to start feeding soon, as precharged soil is typically good for about 4-6 weeks.

mango420

mango420

Ya those are not ready to transplant. You can grow 5+ foot plants in 5 gallon containers easy.

sKully

sKully

Just make sure to transplant up. What nutrient approach are you going to take?

I imagine since you are depending on the pre-existing nutrients in your soil now, you would want to continue down this path and stray away from synthetics?

In the case you do choose this path, you want to amend your new soil before transplanting up. Make sure with each transplant the soil you mix up has the proper nutrients in it to facilitate the plants current stage of growth. Ideally you will want to have your soil pre-amended before planting, inoculated with an AACT and then planted in.

Right now you're going to be adding to the soil biology. Pick yourself up some worm castings and spread a good handful or two on the top of the soil. You can also add some crustacean meal, alfalfa and kelp. Water it all in. Follow up with a couple compost tea's per week, and side dressing as needed.

In this case, you're going to want to choose the route you want to take in terms of nutrient application.

The example above I gave you was for dry amendments.

You can always go with a bottled line such as, "Nectar For The Gods". It's killer shit, and the owner Scott is a stand up dude.

Planting small into big containers can cause a number of issues, so always transplant up when aiming for a larger, final growing container. Having a large, soggy sack/pot of soil sitting a room that's 72 Degree's at 45% relative humidity, with a 6 inch plant in the middle, isn't going to dry out very quickly. At all. You DO NOT need to transplant up if you're familiar with "training" the roots out with strategic waterings. Basically watering a little bit outside of the last place you watered, starting at the root ball and ultimately ending up on the outer edge of the container.

Saturating the soil can cause root rot as well.

Personally bro, I wouldnt go any bigger than what you're in.

Take the transplanting as the hermit crabs do their shells. Once they outgrow their shell, they move into a slightly bigger one that is just the RIGHT fit. Not too big. Not too small. Just enough room to expand. Except in our case, our hermit crab finds its final shell relatively fast, settles in, and flourishes.

-sK

Last edited:
Jackle

Jackle

Update 9 weeks into veg.
Did some LST and scrogging to slow down the top and let the others catch up. Seems to have worked pretty well. About to start flowering in a week or so.

How much should I expect them to grow during 12/12?

Last edited:
sKully

sKully

View attachment 652369

Update 9 weeks into veg.
Did some LST and scrogging to slow down the top and let the others catch up. Seems to have worked pretty well. About to start flowering in a week or so.

How much should I expect them to grow during 12/12?

Depends on strain. Expect anywhere from 6-30 Inches.

You'll probably see about 8 to 12 inches. Just a guess of course.

Top Bottom